[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

Just now, Huggy Bear said:

For the net difference, we should also add back the salary of the winger playing instead of Pearson, no?

We already had 14 forwards on the roster. They did not add another. We now have 13. When we activate Mikheyev we will have to waive another as we usually run with 13 forwards 8 d-men and 2 goalies. So we're short one D-man on the cap right now and have an extra forward.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't feel he's overpaid. guy is a responsible, 2 way, 15-25 goal, 40 point winger with size and experience. 

You may be right and I can't really argue it. But if he was UFA, right now. I doubt he gets that contract. Edit, I am a fan of how Tearson plays. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I agree. Pearson plays a responsible game, just overpaid. Typical JB overpayment. 

Another year of JB and I would have given up on the Canucks, besides giving away picks and money, to have those  guys sit on the bench, in the minors, playing for other teams or paid to stay home and then having to give up more assets just to get rid of those players, the guy had NO idea how to build a team, we had so many high 2nd round picks being at the bottom and where are they ?

I did not think it was possible for the new group to improve with being capped out and shortage of assets, but they have somehow improved the farm and the  Big team in 1 year after 8 yrs of it being beat down

It is refreshing to see trades not damaging our team

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Sounds odd when reports were Pearson was disgruntled with the organization and medical staff?

Maybe he found out through Twitter or somethjng equally disrespectful.  Or maybe he doesn't think Montreal will be his final destination before the season starts 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We are now fully cap compliant with Poolman on LTIR.  We could even bring up Podkozin as well.  So this takes care of everything.  If we make another trade it will be money in and money out.  Martin most likely goes on waivers and if he clears waivers then the other two goalies we have probably go to the ECHL...

We will be making more trades for sure.  And some will be money out and youth/futures in.

I think management is committed to creating cap space and will continue to do so going forward.

Having cap space represents OPPORTUNITY and frees management to make the deals they want without cap pressure.

We will get back a lot more for players like Garland, Beau, and Boes and even our prospects when we're no longer pinned up against that wall.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I'm a touch worried about that as well. Would like one of Garland or Beauvillier moved out for some more grit and size.

At least we've been doing our hip thrusts and gotten somewhat bigger on the back end.

That is as saving grace, yes. Getting bigger on the back end may mitigate some of it.

11 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

But look at the individuals that are small.  They all have some bite to their game.  Size could be an issue in the playoffs.  I don’t think it would (often) be a problem during the regular season.

You're not wrong, but I wonder all the same. It's only a playoff issue if we make the playoffs.

• Cheers 2