[Trade] WE DID A THING - Vancouver Trades LW Tanner Pearson, 2025 3rd to Montreal for G Casey DeSmith

I'm just gonna say when Boeser went through wrist surgery he thought he was ready to go and it only lasted what the second preseason game? 

We will really have won the trade if that happens here.. not saying I hope that. Just crossed my mind when I heard he was gonna dress for us. Kinda could see it becoming re injured.

39 minutes ago, Reznor said:

Yeah, but Demko is obviously our #1, and Martin didn't fare well for us in his NHL stint, and I was comfortable with him as backup. Silvos has great promise, but I'd rather he play a year as the #1 in Abby, and maybe get a few NHL games in to see where he is at near the end of the season. This way, he doesn't ruin his development should he flounder being forced into the backup role too early. 

Tolopilo has actually looked better than I expected, and will serve well as the backup in Abby. That leaves DeSmith as the most appropriate candidate for backup with the big club. 

I do question where this leaves Martin as third string in the AHL. 

I like this trade, though. Solves our backup situation, and reduces our cap hit. And while I kinda wanted to see Pearson back on this team, he IS coming off a long layoff, so there is a question as to how rusty he will be. Additionally, we have too many wingers, so this helps reduce the glut.

Martin was killing it with Abby; I would struggle to see a case for him not sharing the net with SIlovs. He's way too good to be a 3rd string AHL guy.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is a tiny, soft forward group there.   
I really don’t think we will be putting out a third line that averages 5’8”. 

Maybe that line will draw us a lot of power plays. Just a regular body check will seem like a high hit.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would he file a lawsuit?  He got paid his full salary, is completely healthy and will be playing this year and getting his full salary.  He didn't even lose one penny, so what would he be suing for?  He can rebound this year and have a good season to get a new contract...

Unless his hand does allow him to play after trying to.

1 minute ago, Sell.the.team said:

The Pearson extension was a major blunder by Benning but the predicament we found ourselves in as an indictment on the current regime's continued inability to manage our cap situation in an effective way.  

One of many major blunders. JB's big mistakes were real big.

5 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I'm so tired of having a smallish team. I just envy the bigger teams. 

I agree. I was just having a bit of fun ,since there is nothing I can do to change it.Hopefully our president and GM also think adding a little more size and toughness is a good thing.

Edited by Mr. E. Man
  • Cheers 1

When Allvin signed Sawchenko, and Silovs was lights out at the World Championship, I was convinced that Martin would come to camp, then be waived before the season and somebody would pick him up. I couldn't see a spot for Martin. Now with the acquisition of DeSmith, I REALLY can't see Martin remaining in the organization this season.

Vancouver- Demko and DeSmith; Abbotsford - Silovs and Sawchenko; Kalamazoo - Tolopilo and Some Other Guy Who Isn't Martin.

Pure speculation, but I'd look for one of the Pacific Division teams to claim him for their AHL team, which would likely be in the Pacific Division of the AHL.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1