Anti-gloom post - What made you become a Canucks fan?

Why did you become a fan? Cause my dad was

First game you remember? Canucks vs Blackhawks (74/75 season)

First game you saw in the arena? Canucks vs Blackhawks (74/75 season)

Fave jerseys/shirt Skate

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Became a fan around the WCE era, it was exciting watching Nazzy, Bert, Morrison, JovoCop, etc. dazzle out their with their skills and the blueline with their physicality and the excitement from playoff runs (e.g. Cooke? jumping up and down in the penalty box when they scored against Calgary).

First game I saw (non-Canucks, but hockey was the 2002 Olympics, think it was the Sweden Belarus game which they played on TV at school.  It was exciting.  First Canucks game I don't remember LOL.
First game in the arena I think was a game against St. Louis, Horvat scored the winner in OT in a low-scoring game.
Favorite jerseys, I'm honestly a fan of the maroons they had as the WCE alternates, and also the vintage Millionaires one they wore against Detroit.  Then all the blue jerseys in the recent eras have looked great.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

I have always lived in Ottawa. Being stuck with Habs, Laffs and Bruins fans. 1970 was my glory year for a few reasons. Mostly taking in the then underdog team Canucks. 

From the start  l never wavered from being a fan.

Asked all too often why? Because l had a great dislike to eastern based softies. I was questioned why l didn't convert to The Senatsnors. My team l chose was for life, no turncoat here. As l have seen all to often in this cesspool of a city. 

Canucks for ever!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Grew up here, so I guess I'm a fan because they're my hometown team. 1st game I watched, I don't even remember. I think I was 2 or 3, and I would sit on my great uncle's lap watching games with him. 1st game I went to, was in late '95 or early '96, I would have to find the ticket stub to be sure, but it was against Detroit. It was a 3-2 win. Got to see all my favorites that night. Bure, Linden, Gino, McLean. I was already hooked on the team from the '94 run. But it was game 7 when McLean made "the save" that he became my hero. Still kinda is. Hell, just this week I picked up a signed rookie card of his.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Born and raised in Richmond. And I always rooted for the underdog. And boy is the Canucks the biggest underdog around.

What solidified me as a fan wasn't so much the 82 Cup run. I always viewed that as a bit of a fluke, and a bunch of lunch bucket guys working hard as a team.

What sold me is when Vancouver played in the old Forum. It was a game on BCTV. December 4, 1991. Vancouver rarely won against Montreal. Especially in Montreal.

Canucks won 3-0. Adams got a hat trick. Bure and Larionov got 2 assists each. And McLean stood on his head. At the end of the 3rd they were just pounding shot, after shot. Kirk wouldn't let one in and ended with 45 saves.

And the fans in Montreal did something I'll never forget. They gave Kirk a standing ovation for the effort. I thought that was the classiest thing I've EVER seen.

That was the first time I thought the team was really onto something special.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199112040MTL.html

Classic game.  I don't think many Canuck fans that were paying attention that year won't remember the game.  I think Patrick Roy said it was the best or one of the best games he had ever seen a goalie play.

1982 warn't no fluke though.  That was King Richard turning into a demigod.

• Vintage 2