Anti-gloom post - What made you become a Canucks fan?

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Classic game.  I don't think many Canuck fans that were paying attention that year won't remember the game.  I think Patrick Roy said it was the best or one of the best games he had ever seen a goalie play.

1982 warn't no fluke though.  That was King Richard turning into a demigod.

Speaking of King Richard, I had a puck signed by him delivered back on Thursday. I've kind of gone mental with Canucks memorabilia lately 

• Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Grew up in Vancouver.  Adopted them as my team when they first joined the league. Watched lots of games starting in the Pacific Colliseum. Highlight as a kid was watching Gordie Howe vs Canucks.

That's pretty cool!!

• Cheers 1

I remember the 2nd game I went to see. We won free tickets from molson back when they would put merch or tickets things in the beer cases. We saw Ottawa that game. And it was maybe 2 weeks after trading Bure for Jovo. We lost 1-0. Didn't  have a shot on goal in the 3rd. Best part, Messier missed the game due to injury. At least I never had to watch that goof live. Fuck that guy.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Mark Messier was my first Canuck captain.

I am so sorry. No one should ever have to say that. 

I am sure you agree that Naslund era and onwards has been the best time to be a Canucks fan, hands down. No more wandering in the wilderness with an 82 here and a 94 there. We have been spoiled since Y2K, even with the 'drought' in the last decade, far better product than any ten year stretch pre Nazzy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Me and my family moved here at 1990, started lightly following the Canucks when the team started to do well with Quinn making the deal with St. Louis to get Momesso, Courtnall, Ronning. I was following the Kings more but i started to become a Canucks fan as well when the Russian Rocket arrived.

Most memorable games Ive attended live was 94 against the Leafs, the famous Greg Adams Greg Adams! goal

A regular season game, Kings vs Canucks, the Nucks were leading the game 5 -1, final score was 7-7. Gretzky had a 1 goal and 5 assist, fantastic game

and a preseason game against the Panthers, Pavel's first and only visit to GM place on the other side

Edited by filthy animal
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On 3/2/2024 at 7:53 PM, CanuckDownUnder said:

Grew up in Vancouver.  Adopted them as my team when they first joined the league. Watched lots of games starting in the Pacific Colliseum. Highlight as a kid was watching Gordie Howe vs Canucks.

Awesome!

I grew up in Vancouver and didn’t become a Nucks fan really until they drafted Linden. But growing up my dad took me to games at the Pacific Colliseum to see some great NHL teams. Saw Bobby Orr and Ken Dryden etal. I guess that’s also why I like the skate jersey best.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

I play and loved hockey and Paul Henderson was my fav player (even before the Canada Cup) I always  wore #19 (as a Centre)

Both my Step Dad and Grandfather were big Canuck fans from the start

I remember as a young kid watching the Canucks 1st NHL game with my grandpa and losing to LA (3-1 or 3-2)

I didn't understand the Original jersey idea then (but now would like to see them have Cup pics taken wearing it)

I became a Canucks fan in the exciting 82 cup run ( was driving down River road to get my gf a cat at the SPCA , on the way back she was saying what should I name him?, as we were driving back to Burnaby along the fraser river, in the fraser valley and kept hearing Curt Fraser name on the radio) so Fraser it was named

My dearly departed step dad ran a company and was a huge Canucks I'd watch many of the workers take advantage of him during each playoffs and they would bet money against him that the Canucks would lose and he bet them all.  He even organised the Lotto pool later with these guys who rarely paid, and he would buy the tickets himself, and one time he won the big pot, and when they received a call from him right after the draw asking if they were in, they must have known something was up (as he never did that) and of course they each said yes, and he split it 10 ways

I hated those embarrassing V clown jerseys they wore when I became a Canuck fan though, and wished then they hadn't changed from the original, (which I later appreciated like the original 6 teams classic ones)

I've always worn #19, but never even relate to being a former Leafs fan, 

When the skate jersey came out I remember people ridiculing them that they were skating down

They have had so many cash grabbing ugly jerseys,(even 3rd's) and wish they'd keep it to 2 (Original and skate)

My Grandpa, Step Dad and younger Brother (died 1yr ago in 1 week to today) were all huge Canuck fans and have all passed without seeing the Canucks win

I hope this does not become a family tradition and I can be happy for them (and myself) to see the curse ended with Canucks winning the Cup

Henderson, Ellis, and Sittler… the boys that got me hooked on hockey 🙂

• Cheers 3