Anti-gloom post - What made you become a Canucks fan?

I was born in Vancouver and grew up in Cranbrook. I was a Habs fan until the inaugural season for the Canucks. I even had the Canadiens PJs to go along with the Peter Puck PJs. In the summer of 1970, I was six years old and small for my age; I went to the hockey school they held in Cranbrook every summer. I was probably the youngest kid there, but my dad had some pull with the organizers. That year, Orland Kurtenbach was a celebrity instructor at the school. Perhaps because I tried hard, he spent some extra time with me working on skating. At the end of one of the sessions, when all the other kids had left the Ice, I was still doing crossovers; Kurtenbach picked me up and carried me around the ice several times to feel the wind on my face. It was awesome. I've been a long-suffering fan ever since.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...

Here's how it went for me ...

I grew up on the east coast.

Back in the day when the Flying V first came out, my parents bought me one of those jerseys/shirts. I was the only kid in elementary school with a Canucks jersey/shirt in a sea of hardcore Habs, Leafs, Bruins, Philly fans. Even in elementary school. And my Flying V jersey wasn't the black one, it was the yellow, so I stood out on the schoolyard like a bully magnet. So you can just imagine what I had to endure ... and I did with my head held high. But because of my Flying V jersey, which I loved, I started to follow, read and watch everything Canucks related. Rather than run away from being different, and being a Canucks fan on the east coast, I leaned into it and embraced it. 

The 1982 run and Stanley Cup was a special time. I remember watching several games during that playoff time at my grandmother's house. I can look back fondly and warmly at those days with a smile from time with family despite the fact that the Islanders were so dominant and destined to win that year. Still, I always clung to some small glimmer of hope early in that series despite the fact that we had no chance.

During those years, my sister moved to Edmonton and I ended up visiting and seeing the Oilers vs. Canucks as my first NHL game. It wasn't planned that way, it just happened. 

After elementary school, I started to get bigger and started playing all sports competitively - hockey, baseball, football, basketball, track, cross-country, etc, etc. All the while, still a Canucks fan.

To make a long story short ... as a young man in my prime at the top of my game in a variety of sports, I was in a severe car accident. I nearly lost my life, had multiple brain surgeries, was left blind in one eye, had multiple knee surgeries, and more. I spent the next five years in and out of hospital in recovery. At the very same time as being hit by a car, my parents were going through a not-so-nice divorce. So, not only did I lose myself, my identity, but I also lost my family at the exact same time.

After five years of recovery, I had to start my life over. I was different. In some ways, I was different like I was a Canucks fan on the schoolyard years earlier. I couldn't go back to resuming my life. I wasn't the same person anymore. I needed a fresh start.

So, with $300 in my pocket, fully recovered, I boarded a train for Vancouver. I arrived during the 1992-93 season, and suddenly I'm living downtown and going to Canucks games at Pacific Coliseum, even seeing Bure, Gino, Lumme, McLean, and players out around town. It was magical. And then the '94 run happened and I was swept up in the excitement and celebrating with fans on Robson street after each game and during the Stanley Cup Final. This was all at the exact same time as I had started a new life after so much adversity and loss. I was living the dream I once thought was impossible in more ways than one.

That's my journey to being a Canucks fan. Apologies for the long-winded story. Thanks for reading!

Go Canucks go!

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Easy, my grandma and a few months later my uncle.  And a little later my brother kept the spirit going.   Before that was a bit too into the Gretzky phase.   Hard not to be wrapped up into that as a kid. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Here's how it went for me ...

I grew up on the east coast.

Back in the day when the Flying V first came out, my parents bought me one of those jerseys/shirts. I was the only kid in elementary school with a Canucks jersey/shirt in a sea of hardcore Habs, Leafs, Bruins, Philly fans. Even in elementary school. And my Flying V jersey wasn't the black one, it was the yellow, so I stood out on the schoolyard like a bully magnet. So you can just imagine what I had to endure ... and I did with my head held high. But because of my Flying V jersey, which I loved, I started to follow, read and watch everything Canucks related. Rather than run away from being different, and being a Canucks fan on the east coast, I leaned into it and embraced it. 

The 1982 run and Stanley Cup was a special time. I remember watching several games during that playoff time at my grandmother's house. I can look back fondly and warmly at those days with a smile from time with family despite the fact that the Islanders were so dominant and destined to win that year. Still, I always clung to some small glimmer of hope early in that series despite the fact that we had no chance.

During those years, my sister moved to Edmonton and I ended up visiting and seeing the Oilers vs. Canucks as my first NHL game. It wasn't planned that way, it just happened. 

After elementary school, I started to get bigger and started playing all sports competitively - hockey, baseball, football, basketball, track, cross-country, etc, etc. All the while, still a Canucks fan.

To make a long story short ... as a young man in my prime at the top of my game in a variety of sports, I was in a severe car accident. I nearly lost my life, had multiple brain surgeries, was left blind in one eye, had multiple knee surgeries, and more. I spent the next five years in and out of hospital in recovery. At the very same time as being hit by a car, my parents were going through a not-so-nice divorce. So, not only did I lose myself, my identity, but I also lost my family at the exact same time.

After five years of recovery, I had to start my life over. I was different. In some ways, I was different like I was a Canucks fan on the schoolyard years earlier. I couldn't go back to resuming my life. I wasn't the same person anymore. I needed a fresh start.

So, with $300 in my pocket, fully recovered, I boarded a train for Vancouver. I arrived during the 1992-93 season, and suddenly I'm living downtown and going to Canucks games at Pacific Coliseum, even seeing Bure, Gino, Lumme, McLean, and players out around town. It was magical. And then the '94 run happened and I was swept up in the excitement and celebrating with fans on Robson street after each game and during the Stanley Cup Final. This was all at the exact same time as I had started a new life after so much adversity and loss. I was living the dream I once thought was impossible in more ways than one.

That's my journey to being a Canucks fan. Apologies for the long-winded story. Thanks for reading!

Go Canucks go!

That's a great origin story. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Why did you become a fan?

It was the season of 2010-11. Everyone, as in literally, everyone from school, neighbours, relatives were following the team. I started to full follow them that season and playoff run. What an impressive run they went on and it got me hooked. At the time, I thought for sure we were gonna win the cup, but when it didn't, I was so disappointed. I did hop on a bandwagon, but because they didn't win, I am determined to watch them win one, and then I started to follow them more exclusively, then the league and all of a sudden I am a hardcore fan.

First game you remember?

Although I followed the team hardcore in 2010-11, but I saw glimpses of games here and there from 2007 onward. I can't really pinpoint which is my first game I remember. I just remember everything from that 2011 season, especially those playoff games.

First game you saw in the arena?

First game I watched in the arena in-person was November 13, 2016 against the Dallas Stars. It was a thrilling first live game for me. At the time, we couldn't beat Dallas to save our lives (we lost something like 9 straight against them head to head), so when I went to the game, I didn't have any expectation. I picked that game because it was a 1:00 PM matinee, so I didn't have to book for hotel/accommodations. It was a great game. The Canucks went down 3-1 after 2 period before fighting back to tie the game 4-4. Stecher scored his first NHL goal with the goalie pulled to tie the game. Markus Granlund scored the OT winner among the sea of Granlunds we had back then.

Fave jerseys/shirt

The retro skate jersey they rock now as their third is may favourite jersey. But I don't want that to be our main jersey, because what makes it special is we only wear it once in a while and it makes those games special. I also like the home blue without the Vancouver wordmark on it as well, but the retro skate jersey is my favourite.

• Cheers 1

Grew up mostly in Ontario, and started watching hockey with my dad in the mid 50's. Was a Leafs fan in those days. I remember Bob Pulford coming to my school in Downsview in late 50's. Came to New Westminster Centennial year, so was here when the Canucks started. Been a fan from the beginning, watching when possible, listening or reading when not. Went to a few games at the Colliseum in the eighties. Linden my favorite player. Watched the Leafs win their last Cup, would like to see the Canucks win their first before I croak.

• Cheers 3

Born and raised in Calgary, still live there.  But through some twist of fate wasn't introduced to hockey until after first round of the 1994 playoffs concluded.  Didn't have a favorite team when I started watching but that incredible Cinderella Canucks team won me over and then some.  They were just such a likeable and hard working team that you couldn't help but fall in love with them.  I was only 8 years old but remember being absolutely devastated when they lost to the Rangers in 7.  2011 was even more devastating, partially because I can't remember ever hating a team more than that Bruins squad.  Watched every game of their Conf. Final series, with the Lightning, and was already starting to strongly dislike them.  The conclusion of that Final still haunts me to this day.  Far more than the result of 1994.  That was our year and it was stolen from us.

Only seen the Canucks live from the saddledome unfortunately.  First one was in the 2004 playoffs when we blew a 4-0 lead but still won in OT.

Favorite uniforms are by far the current blue and greens.  Best colour scheme in hockey and just a beautiful, beautiful design.  I don't care if the Orca is a "corporate logo" or that Messier wore it.  It looks great on the front of our jerseys and that's good enough for me.

Favorite jersey I own is Authentic blue and green, Quin Hughes.

Edited by Morgan 33
  • Cheers 1

I think having to grow up states side. I watched the odd Kings game and I only remembered Bob Berry, funny name.

Then moving back to Canada and everyone knows how to skate and I didn't lol. I watched the black and gold jerseys in 82 on my 14 inch color set on Alberta St. I got hooked. I think the weekday games were on BCTV. Peter Puck! My gf had no clue about hockey so I married her.

Rent was 275 

Memories, priceless.

• Cheers 1

Pavel Bure was a big reason. I just loved his electrifying plays and his ability to take over a game. The explosiveness and his ability to get open for breakaways was amazing. This and the 1994 cup run were a big reason. The games were amazing despite them losing. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/14/2024 at 2:02 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Pavel Bure was a big reason. I just loved his electrifying plays and his ability to take over a game. The explosiveness and his ability to get open for breakaways was amazing. This and the 1994 cup run were a big reason. The games were amazing despite them losing. 

You could tell something good was coming after Quin came in.   They used all those character 80's guys, and created something special.    Bure is still the best game breaker we've ever had.   

• Cheers 2

Honestly, Wayne Gretzky. I was a kid, I didn't know shit about Provinces, City's, States...All I knew that there was bigger than life hockey player named Wayne Gretzky and everyone talked about him. One day I was watching a game - Kings vs Nucks with my dad and he saw me cheering for the Kings and said Why you cheering for them? The Canucks are our team! He proceeded to smack me upside the head and ever since I have never looked back. RIP Pops, Thanks for setting me straight .

• Haha 1

We moved to British Columbia from Germany (military dad) when I was 6, and my dad watched Hockey Night in Canada every weekend. Most often it would be the Canucks, and since he was cheering for them, I cheered for them! Simple as that. Never looked back. It was after high school in my university days where I started listening to every single game on the radio, and it became a ritual to look forward to, and I've hardly missed a game since and I'm now in my 50's.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I grew up in Regina, SK and spent my childhood there. My next door neighbor was a huge fan of Pavel Bure starting his rookie year. My dad and brother are Leafs fans and my Mom is a Habs fan. Sister didn’t care that much about hockey back then. 

I knew I wanted to be different and didn’t want to follow their path, so I went with the Canucks. I just loved their look and style. Quickly became a fan of obviously Bure, Linden, Courtnall, Adams and McLean.

Then the 1994 Cup run cemented me as a fan. Oh man was that ever exciting! So damn close

I am Canadian originally, but have lived in the States the past 20+ years. Sadly i have never been to British Columbia and have only ever seen the Canucks in-person for road games. I live in Pittsburgh now, where my wife and her family are from. Both my kids born here. Obviously Pens fans are everywhere, but they’re pretty cool with the Canucks and I get to see the Canucks almost every year they visit the Steel City. 

Favorite jersey? I’ve had a few, my late grandfather bought me the black skate jersey when I was little, but sadly I outgrew it long ago and no longer have it. I’d say the blue alternate stick n’ rink logo. I sent it to Hockey Authentic a couple years ago and they did a beautiful job putting Daniel Sedin’s name and number on it.

I’ll be honest, I often get jealous watching Pens fans getting to flaunt how many Cups they’ve won and seeing those banners up in the rafters every time I go to that arena. Also really hard watching all those commercials of past players hoisting Cups from many different teams, but never a Canuck :/.

BUT, I wouldn’t cheer for any other team, I love the Canucks and they’ve been a part of me since I was 5 years old. Feel so grateful to be part of this community with all of you! Maybe someday we’ll finish the job and Lord Stanley will finally be hoisted by a Canucks captain!

Edited by whcanuck
  • Vintage 1