[PGT] Nucks @ ducks - march 3

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

If they are in a slump, they will come out sooner or later.  For now, it's better to grind their game to get the victory and they seem to have the tool to handle that as they have proven that, ability to grind when their game was not clicking, see November and early December slump.  It bodes well for the playoffs where goals are few.  

Yes I agree but it would be more confidence boosting if they grinded out wins against tougher opponents. Beating Anaheim just doesn’t move me in one direction or the other. It’s more of a Meh win for me.

• Cheers 2

Crazy thought. Instead of playing a completely different system when on the power play, why not just play the same as 5-on-5, except with the advantage of having an extra player? It's like they switch to "predictable power play mode" and the opposition knows exactly how to stop them. Just keep playing the same way while outnumbering the opposition and good things should happen, no?

• Cheers 1

Something still feels a bit off with this team.  They just don't feel like the dominant team from earlier this season... might be 1 of:

1. Injuries to Joshua and Soucy affecting balance of lines and pairings

2. Other teams picking up their play towards the end of the season

3. Bit of a chemistry issue (see 1 above)

Early in the year, we had 4 lines rolling.  4 lines scoring.  Right now, it feels like only 4 cylinders out of the V8 are going.

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Mik doesn't "FIT" anywhere on this roster.   If he manages to make it past TDL he'll be packaged-up & gone by July.  JR has little patience for overpriced dead-beats.

A Complete waste of $4,750,000.00 we could use in better ways like "Almost" paying OEL's Dead Cap Buyout penalty next year and the year after, and the year after that, and the......

'Almost'.... it's double of next years penalty, on par with the following 2 and more than double the last 2 years... not perfect but nowhere as bad as suggested... 🙂

But besides that agree... Mika just doesn't fit in on any line... And JR has not been known to hang around waiting for players to come around.

I will be very surprised if he is here at the start of next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We actually play really fast, when on form. The puck moves way faster than any player can skate. 

Completely agree. I was shocked to learn we are actually 4th last in average skating speed per game in the league. Figured we would be more around the middle. Shows how quickly we play when connected. 

• ThereItIs 2

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Early in the year, we had 4 lines rolling.  4 lines scoring.  Right now, it feels like only 4 cylinders out of the V8 are going.

That's the Multiple Displacement System - which never seems to work as intended. Should probably deactivate it and go with 8 cylinders all the time.

Seriously though, you're right. Last night's win did nothing to get this team back to their winning ways. I don't believe the issues we are seeing have anything to do with the OTHER teams; it's all about OUR team. Guys just aren't where they used to be. Passes are dreadful compared to earlier in the year, when puck possession and the forecheck allowed the Canucks to dominate most teams most nights. And when the PP needed to get us a goal, they did. 

These days, the guys look tired and/or lazy. The passes are off the mark. The PP has become static and ineffective. Even our goalies have taken a bit of a step back. I'm not "worried" per se, as I feel the team played well long enough and strong enough that they proved what they are capable of. The raw material is still all there - and possibly even improved since a few changes have been made. But they need to figure out what exactly it is that is ailing them as a team and I feel they'll get back to their winning ways.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I understand why people are downplaying the win, Anaheim is 30th after all. I myself have had the pleasure of having both Vatrano and Gudas in my fantasy league, so I’ve watched them my fair share this year.

here’s what I’ve learned:

keeping Anaheim to 1 goal at home is a strong outing. Sure, we only scored 2, but we dictated the play and played a structured, physical game.

Anaheim also has a lot of 3rd period comebacks against all sorts of good teams. We didn’t let them back in it.

This was a real slump buster, against one of the better lottery teams that actually compete every night. 

My friend you can spin it however you want but the fact is Anaheim is 3rd worst in the league/30th overall however you want to put it. They’re there for a reason, because they cannot win games/put up points. Winning against them isn’t really an accomplishment.
Let’s see how the Canucks do in the next 4 against actual playoff teams: Kings, Knights, Jets and Colorado. These 4 games will let us know if we’re out of the slump or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Something is in the works or close to or are trying!

Alvin will figure it out. Demote or trade Aman, and trade Mikeyev. Maybe include Friedman to sweeten the deal. The fourth line should be a big physical one. Greenway and Duhaime with Lafferty centering them would be a welcome upgrade.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

57 minutes ago, spook007 said:

'Almost'.... it's double of next years penalty, on par with the following 2 and more than double the last 2 years... not perfect but nowhere as bad as suggested... 🙂

But besides that agree... Mika just doesn't fit in on any line... And JR has not been known to hang around waiting for players to come around.

I will be very surprised if he is here at the start of next season.

Yes, you're correct.  The OEL Dead-Cap penalty gets really bad after next year in 24-25 when it climbs to almost $5,000,000.00. Next year we only waste ~$2.5M on him.  

• Cheers 1

I really don't get what all the hand wringing about the 4th line is for.  When I watch, it seems they spend quite a bit of time in the other teams zone and gorecheck hard.  Isn't that what you want a 4th line to do?  Seems like a case of trying to fix something that isn't broken

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Something still feels a bit off with this team.  They just don't feel like the dominant team from earlier this season... might be 1 of:

1. Injuries to Joshua and Soucy affecting balance of lines and pairings

2. Other teams picking up their play towards the end of the season

3. Bit of a chemistry issue (see 1 above)

You're being generous in your assessment.   The team has barely scraped by in nearly any of their wins since late last year and struggled through most victories and usually lose against nearly all the contending teams. 

Until we can handily take care of most of those contenders I'm still not convinced we'll go far in the playoffs, unless we get lucky with the draw in post season.  Still pieces missing and a few passengers on the team.  Hopefully JR can remedy!

3 minutes ago, CaribouCanuck said:

True it was an unimpressive win over an unimpressive team, but two points is still two points and I'm just hoping it can boost the teams confidence and be a momentum builder for the games ahead. 

We can beat anyone...Eh???

The canucks.......Girl Power Beat Up GIF - Girl Power Beat Up Boxing GIFs

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I really don't get what all the hand wringing about the 4th line is for.  When I watch, it seems they spend quite a bit of time in the other teams zone and gorecheck hard.  Isn't that what you want a 4th line to do?  Seems like a case of trying to fix something that isn't broken

Well Tocchet sees it differently, so most will go with the coach's estimation. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, you're correct.  The OEL Dead-Cap penalty gets really bad after next year in 24-25 when it climbs to almost $5,000,000.00. Next year we only waste ~$2.5M on him.  

Yeah no doubt it's money we could have spent better, but do they keep a 7.2M ⚓ or bite the bullit and try to do something with this team. 

This will be the topic of many debates over the next 10 years, should this go pear shaped... but that's for another day...

• Cheers 1