[PGT] Nucks @ ducks - march 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Id love a guy like Greenway or Duhaime but the top 6 needs to be addressed first.

We have Suter and Mikheyev in the top 6. That’s not good enough.

it might be enough when you also have Miller, Boeser, Hoglander, Petterson in the top 6. I mean, do they even need those 2?

Just now, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

it might be enough when you also have Miller, Boeser, Hoglander, Petterson in the top 6. I mean, do they even need those 2?

In the playoffs yes.

We’ve been shutdown by some good teams lately. Need as many bullets in the chamber as we can get.

2 hours ago, Reznor said:

And if that's what he commands, so be it. Move on.

While improved in a contract year, the years prior were quite a disappointment - especially given the price tag. I could overlook the defensive gaffs if he brought more to the table in the way of hitting, but for a big guy he's surprisingly timid and prefers just to lean on opponents along the boards. He's also not very dynamic, so his play is often to just dump it away, sometimes killing the offensive flow.

He blocks shots. That's what he's good for. But then, so is Cole. And Cole hits more. And is cheaper.

So...yeah. If he wants to take 2.5, happy to keep him on board.

I doubt Meyers will get much term from the Canucks. What he gets might depend on the UFA signing cost across the board.Also if the team has a deep CUP run then everyone’s cost goes up along with their trade value.

1 hour ago, Devron said:

We have no picks this year. Maybe a third or 4th then it’s 6th and 7th. No thirds the following 2 years. It all add up. Plus Podkolzin could be a cheap contract for us next year. We need those 

Yep!   J.R. came to town saying he wouldn't trade away picks and what has he done - trade away picks!    Our future has been mortgaged again.  If this crop of players fails us and we finally get to a Tear-Down (once and for all), it will take us several extra years to rebuild due to all the high draft picks we've thrown away or blown on bad picks over the last several years resulting in an almost bare cupboard of promising rookies.   

I sure hope this crew can "Do IT" because I'll be dead by the time the inevitable tear down is complete.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Id love a guy like Greenway or Duhaime but the top 6 needs to be addressed first.

Suter's been great in the top 6. 

image.thumb.png.efccbaa3f1226067bee5eda21c63a36c.png

14 goals for and only 3 against. Pretty hard to beat that. 

Like I said we're the top scoring team in the league. The only thing that needs to be addressed is making sure we have 4 lines that score more than they are scored against.

Lowering our goals against would be more effective than raising our goals for IMO.  

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Like I said we're the top scoring team in the league. The only thing that needs to be addressed is making sure we have 4 lines that score more than they are scored against.

Lowering our goals against would be more effective than raising our goals for IMO.  

That’s team play not an individual player.

Id rather have an extra scorer, especially someone to boost our powerplay. That could very well be the difference in a series.

48 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s team play not an individual player.

Id rather have an extra scorer, especially someone to boost our powerplay. That could very well be the difference in a series.

Last I checked it was a team sport. Suter Miller Boeser have the same goals for per 60 as the lotto line except the lotto line have triple the goals against per 60

image.thumb.png.20af91a4cc1a5ea9c1bff0df0f8e84b6.png

Our PP has lotz of fire power. The boys need to execute and stop playing cute. It's on them and I think they know it. 

Goals for is not nearly as good an indicator of playoff success as Goal Differential. Suter playing top 6 allows Pete to improve our team as a whole. Instead of sacrificing a large number of assets to improve our scoring, a more effective approach would be to give up fewer assets to reduce the number of goals scored against us. 

We currently have the 8th most high danger shots against in the league and 7th fewest shot blocks. We need a Ryan Johnson more than a Guentzel. 

Edited by Hammertime

1 hour ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Those were the past playoffs.

We now have Dont fuck with us Miller, Just try that Juules, and Meet my shoulder Z. not to mention Cole im not dead yet, Myers eat my slapper with yur mouth, and Heronic watch me slapshot this puck through your knees.

You forgot Dakota ‘Destroyer of Jericho’ Joshua 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yep!   J.R. came to town saying he wouldn't trade away picks and what has he done - trade away picks!    Our future has been mortgaged again.  If this crop of players fails us and we finally get to a Tear-Down (once and for all), it will take us several extra years to rebuild due to all the high draft picks we've thrown away or blown on bad picks over the last several years resulting in an almost bare cupboard of promising rookies.   

I sure hope this crew can "Do IT" because I'll be dead by the time the inevitable tear down is complete.

I certainly sympathize with your concerns. IMHO Benning came in with bare cupboards. If you go back it was bleak. I argued for a full tear down in 2012. The difference now is that Allvin has a lot of talent. He has a functioning development team in Abby.

I have been rooting for this team since ‘70 so I haven’t got enough time left for a full rebuild. Hard to be critical of Allvin to date. Some deals not so good but on the whole pretty good. This group should do well in the playoffs but a chance of the hebeeies so next year might be the real shot. Experience counts.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Devron said:

Man I sure hope not. We don’t looks so great in the cupboards 

Guenztal in and Garland out ... yikes.  Fully expect the Thirst Line to be back when Joshua is healthy.    Assuming Guentzal works with EP... well he's not Crosby, but assuming he can be, the added value is maybe 1 one primary assist or  goal every  7-8 games 5 x 5.   

Where it might help is on the power play.    But that was also thought with Lindholm so wouldn't hold my breath.   

Miller, EP, Brock, Guentzal 

If it was Mikheyev for Guentzal and our second round pick, we'd have done the deal already.    That is worthy of consideration...likely cost us next years first and something ontop.   Mikheyev out.    

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Oh man if we could replace Mik with a real forward around that same price point. The add a 2M banger on the 4th.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Hammertime said:

We were the top scoring team in the league, and for most of the season, by a fair margin.  Not anymore.   We're fourth.    Part of a group of four teams COL, DAL and TO.   Four contenders, one a favourite (Dallas to be clear).   Who's next?  Detroit.   8 goals behind, with two games in hand.   So likely 5 teams in the group. 

Then a tier down, TB leads the pack.   Ten goals behind, so we score one more goal then they do, on average, every 6.3 games.   Goes to show how razor thin these things can be.    And how quickly a team can go from comfortably ontop, to something else. 

This Lindholm Syndrome slump we are having (ha ha ha - couldn't help myself) hopefully is almost or done.    Like to see us fill the net some more, and have a series of games, where at least 2 lines are really contributing.    When all 3 are, nobody can beat us. 

Edit:   Team needs Joshua back.   And the Thirst line back too.   Soucy will stabalize the defense, which helps open things up a little too for the forwards.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We were the top scoring team in the league, and for most of the season, by a fair margin.  Not anymore.   We're fourth.    Part of a group of four teams COL, DAL and TO.   Four contenders, one a favourite (Dallas to be clear).   Who's next?  Detroit.   8 goals behind, with two games in hand.   So likely 5 teams in the group. 

Then a tier down, TB leads the pack.   Ten goals behind, so we score one more goal then they do, on average, every 6.3 games.   Goes to show how razor thin these things can be.    And how quickly a team can go from comfortably ontop, to something else. 

This Lindholm Syndrome slump we are having (ha ha ha - couldn't help myself) hopefully is almost or done.    Like to see us fill the net some more, and have a series of games, where at least 2 lines are really contributing.    When all 3 are, nobody can beat us. 

Edit:   Team needs Joshua back.   And the Thirst line back too.   Soucy will stabalize the defense, which helps open things up a little too for the forwards.   

Any word on Joshua?

Getting that 3rd line back together would be great. And spot duty for Podz to see where he fits best.

Hogz and Podz finally back on the team. Feels good! Shows the good coaching we have in Abby.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Except Benning, the Moran, signed Louie E to a 6 x 6. 

Yea. Yea. Everyone's aware of that historic Canucks blunder. I was just making a comparison to that era's shut down line compared to a similar one on the present Canucks.  

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

We are 2nd in goals by 1 and 4th in goals per 60 if thats what you mean regardless that's not my concern. I don't care about filling the net. I care about goal differential and more importantly to me expected goal differential. Team defense is as important to me as team offense. You don't get extra points for scoring 5 all you have to do is score 1 more than your opponent. The fewer your opponent scores the fewer you need to score to be victorious. 

I am far less concerned with scoring goals as I am giving up the 6th worst high danger shots against.

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Podz and a prospect like Mynio and a second isn’t clearing our cupboards, is it? Plus we clear Garden Gnome’s contract. 

Why do we want to clear the garden gnomes contract. 

This is crazyimage.png.11c01fdd570fb56bbb918017dffa295d.png 

best on the team 5v5 image.png.85df33b00af25cfec68035aa639e1133.png

best on the team image.png.df73c755464c6c580ffb6aa22410bd44.png 

team best image.png.b652b6c06a31026296198b3a5a48d656.png

Garland is consistently one of the best in the league at drawing penalties.image.png.8b2f8fac04fbb293e5f2507fcecd5045.png

Dakota was bounced around between the AHL and ECHL before being united with Garland he was a -16 for us now he's a +16, Blueger was flipped for a 3rd last year both having breakout years at age 27 and 29 and in line for big raises. Hmm wonder what changed for them? Could it be playing with a puck possession juggernaut. It's a team sport I don't know why people don't seem to get this Garlands individual counting stats are not the sum of his worth. If you look at every line Garland has played on since joining the canucks with and without Garland the goal% improved with Garland. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think Hogz is coming out of the top 6 anymore, so only need one more top 6. Guentzel would be nice but not worth the price. There are others who would help without gutting our future. If we’re looking big ticket, I’d rather a Vatrano or Eberle at a lower cost. But that’s just me.

On 3/4/2024 at 1:48 PM, CanuckMan said:

My friend you can spin it however you want but the fact is Anaheim is 3rd worst in the league/30th overall however you want to put it. They’re there for a reason, because they cannot win games/put up points. Winning against them isn’t really an accomplishment.
Let’s see how the Canucks do in the next 4 against actual playoff teams: Kings, Knights, Jets and Colorado. These 4 games will let us know if we’re out of the slump or not.

I didn’t say winning was a great thing. Keeping them to 1 goal and shutting them down in the 3rd was great, since they can score and they can make 3rd periods very difficult for teams.