[FIRING] Devils fire Lindy Ruff!

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

It truly is amazing to see people with historical revisionism about the dude, and no surprise people remember him for the bubble hockey performances. I'll give him some credit there. However, over the span of (five?) years on Canucks, Green never posted a single winning record AT ALL, which also includes him having Pettersson and Hughes. If you look in his AHL records, I think I remember them to be similar-ish. Then look at the rosters that "REAL GOOD" WD had. They are remarkably similar, only that Green had far better rosters. The man can't coach, at least not in the NHL anyway. WD is definitely effective at the lower levels. Not sure about Green though.

And yes, Green's answer to his funk was his line juggling and dump and chase tactics. Apparently this was "high tempo" hockey.

I was very wary when Tocc referred Greener as his friend and one that he talks to often about hockey, but Tocc is three times the coach that Green was/is.

Better teams lol are you delusional? Baby Pete, Hughes, Hog, some bumbling vets in Loui, Beags, Rous. Toffoli was a non factor, Brock put up 4 goals in 17 playoff games. The fact we didn't get swept in the 1st round was nothing short of a miracle. I don't know what you expected from Green with the teams he had. 

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Better teams lol are you delusional? Baby Pete, Hughes, Hog, some bumbling vets in Loui, Beags, Rous. Toffoli was a non factor, Brock put up 4 goals in 17 playoff games. The fact we didn't get swept in the 1st round was nothing short of a miracle. I don't know what you expected from Green with the teams he had. 

I think the 2014-15 WD playoff team and the 2019-20 Green playoff team were pretty close. The 2014-15 team was older and had more solid vets, but the 2019-20 team had more firepower. Goaltending is pretty much a wash between the two seasons. 2014-15 was the last good year of the Sedins, but after them and Vrbata scoring dropped off quite a bit. Those were the only 3 players with more than 40 points. On the 2019-20 team there were 6 Canucks with 40+ points (and Virtanen likely would have made 7 if they played the final 13 games).

I would say the defense of the 2014-15 team was better. Edler was better that year and Tanev was basically the same. Hamhuis was also still quite solid as was Bieksa, and both were better than 2019-20 Myers. It was a vet heavy and experienced top 4. I would also place Stanton and Sbisa over Stecher and Benn, but it's close and neither 3rd pairing was great. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

And Green’s first move as interim coach…healthy scratching Nemec for tonight’s game and  Fitzgerald indicating it’s about player accountability. 

NJD heading in which direction with deadline still 3 days away…?

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Said this in the other thread:

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Of course he'd say that.  Then proceeds to scratch one of their best D-men in Nemec.

Now watch Luke Hughes skate 30 minutes and go -3 for the night.  Travis Green hockey is gonna look real ugly.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I could forecheck blind against a Green coached team because I know exactly where the puck is going once the D recovers the puck behind the net. 

D to D behind the goaline followed by a soft ring to the hash where a winger will be waiting... 

Winger waits to pass to centre who button hooks in front of the goalie and then goes up the middle of the ice. If he's covered, winger tries an ill advised cross ice pass to streaking winger on far side. 

There's only 2 options (both terrible) because the winger with the puck at the hashmarks had stopped to receive the puck so his feet is not moving and can't skate it up ice... 

Terrible hockey.  That's exactly what we played in beer league and I freaking suck at hockey

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I could forecheck blind against a Green coached team because I know exactly where the puck is going once the D recovers the puck behind the net. 

D to D behind the goaline followed by a soft ring to the hash where a winger will be waiting... 

Winger waits to pass to centre who button hooks in front of the goalie and then goes up the middle of the ice. If he's covered, winger tries an ill advised cross ice pass to streaking winger on far side. 

There's only 2 options (both terrible) because the winger with the puck at the hashmarks had stopped to receive the puck so his feet is not moving and can't skate it up ice... 

Terrible hockey.  That's exactly what we played in beer league and I freaking suck at hockey

Has some of the best (albeit youngest) puck-moving defencemen in the NHL

Proceeds to use.... this ugly ass breakout

rim-breakout.jpg

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Not delusional. I made a comparison to Green's time versus WD. They're both coaches that have near identical coaching records. The only problem is that WD's rosters were legit TRASH - far worse than what Green ever had. Chaput and Megna made up our team basically - and they're both fringe NHLers, no disrespect to them. We just didn't have anything in the barns to put out players because Gillis was trash at retooling/rebuilding, mostly due to his poor draft picks/development. (By this, I'm talking about the Gillis-early Benning transitionary period)

So yes, Green sucked as a coach, minus his time in the bubble. Benning shouldn't have kept Green, given the lack of accomplishments.

Edited by PureQuickness

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

We haven't agreed on some things, but I agree with you here. Green has no business behind the bench thus far. The same crap that he's done is benching young players under the guise that it's accountability. When it comes to veteran players, Green doesn't have the balls to do what Tocchet does.

IMHO, I think it was part of the reason for Juolevi sucking developmentally. Juolevi gets his first NHL goal. Next game, Juolevi gets healthy scratch. Like regardless of how his career ended up, THAT is not how you coach. FFS.

2 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

We haven't agreed on some things, but I agree with you here. Green has no business behind the bench thus far. The same crap that he's done is benching young players under the guise that it's accountability. When it comes to veteran players, Green doesn't have the balls to do what Tocchet does.

IMHO, I think it was part of the reason for Juolevi sucking developmentally. Juolevi gets his first NHL goal. Next game, Juolevi gets healthy scratch. Like regardless of how his career ended up, THAT is not how you coach. FFS.

Or Gadjovich sticking up for a teammate and then getting benched.  Next training camp, he earns a spot and still gets waived so Green can gift roster spots to AHL trash.  Green is an absolute cancer and the Devils are risking the future of their prospects by allowing that idiot to coach their team in any capacity.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

If you're wanting to re-visit that topic, feel free to do so.  As for Green...

That coach plays and benches whoever he feels like.  And once his mind is made up, he'll never change it no matter what.  For some bizarre reason, he has decided to scratch Simon Nemec because "he's not skating hard enough".  But he's been playing better than others...?  Doesn't matter.  Now in fairness to Green, Ruff was making some awful coaching decisions as well.  But scratching Nemec.  Man....

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Has some of the best (albeit youngest) puck-moving defencemen in the NHL

Proceeds to use.... this ugly ass breakout

rim-breakout.jpg

That's exactly the system. Lol

Glad you found this to help illustrate how basic his breakout is. 

I feel bad for the players that had to go out and execute this. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

That's exactly the system. Lol

Glad you found this to help illustrate how basic his breakout is. 

I feel bad for the players that had to go out and execute this. 

The rim breakout is truly a last resort play... unless you're Travis Green.  Typically used on teams with stone-handed defencemen and big, bruising forwards.

Hughes brothers: ". . . . . uhhhh...."

• Cheers 1