[Speculation] Trade Deadline Primer: Vancouver Canucks

19 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Rumour is LA is talking Toffoli. With Kempe out, and their / his history there, I'd expect that's his first choice to go and also re-sign

Wasn’t the rumour he’s re-signing in jersey?

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Dom said:

Dhaliwal says no chance Guentzel happens as other teams have much deeper prospect pools. 

Zucker - Canucks have poked around him. (I'D PASS)

Greenway - They've wanted him for a long time. but the price is way too high. 

Kessel - Decision is coming... ' IT IS NOT FITNESS RELATED IF THEY DON'T SIGN HIM ' 

Almost sounds like nothing is going to happen. 

Thats your first mistake.....

I don't see a bigger move coming Vancouver's way but I certainly don't have much faith in what Dhaliwal says, according to him the Canucks are probably still frustrated in how Pettersson has not come to the table and he is projecting another Matthew Tkachuk / Johnny Gaudreau situation by end of season. Goof!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Thats your first mistake.....

I don't see a bigger move coming Vancouver's way but I certainly don't have much faith in what Dhaliwal says, according to him the Canucks are probably still frustrated in how Pettersson has not come to the table and he is projecting another Matthew Tkachuk / Johnny Gaudreau situation by end of season. Goof!

Dhaliwal is becoming more like Dave Pratt every day.

I guess someone had to fill the void in the swamp after he left.

The bottom line is what the Canucks are willing to give up in order to get a return that will

make a difference in the playoffs.  That would require any combination of the 2025 1st,

Podkolzin, roster player, prospect, etc.  Would they pay such a price for a great player,

that may turn out to be a rental?  How would they slide said player under the Salary cap?

Can they include a roster player that the other team wants in the trade?

All said and done, it looks to me that Vetrano would be the ideal fit with his solid stats and

an extra season @ $3.65m.  So what would be a fare trade for this player?

2025 1st and or 2nd, roster player Podkolzin + pick and or prospect (Bains,Raty or McWard).

I think it would take... 2025 1st + Podz +  prospect.  Similar to the Lindy trade, except for

the (shall I say) salary of Kuzy off the books.

I hope we're done, other than perhaps adding depth pieces. 

Trading our young players and prospects for big names is not the way to go. If management wants sustainable success, you need cheap contracts and ELCs to manage the cap. 

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

If you're going to move a player like Mikhayev, you do it next year when his speed should be where it used to be and you can sell high. There's zero advantage to moving him now for peanuts. His value won't decrease but it very well should increase, and he'll likely be more valuable to keep as well.

Cap space. This year and the next 2. That is a giant advantage.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Not shopping doesn't mean not trading. 

It doesn't, but it does speak to the offers not being palatable thus far 

It also speaks to them wanting to retain him despite some present disagreement

"Tyler knows how much I'd like to bring him back, but unfortunately right now, there's a possible term difference (in contract talks). That doesn't mean we can't revisit this past the deadline, if he's still here, or in the offseason."

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Dhaliwal is becoming more like Dave Pratt every day.

I guess someone had to fill the void in the swamp after he left.

Don’t tell me he’s arguing poker is a legitimate sport too, is he?

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The bottom line is what the Canucks are willing to give up in order to get a return that will

make a difference in the playoffs.  That would require any combination of the 2025 1st,

Podkolzin, roster player, prospect, etc.  Would they pay such a price for a great player,

that may turn out to be a rental?  How would they slide said player under the Salary cap?

Can they include a roster player that the other team wants in the trade?

All said and done, it looks to me that Vetrano would be the ideal fit with his solid stats and

an extra season @ $3.65m.  So what would be a fare trade for this player?

2025 1st and or 2nd, roster player Podkolzin + pick and or prospect (Bains,Raty or McWard).

I think it would take... 2025 1st + Podz +  prospect.  Similar to the Lindy trade, except for

the (shall I say) salary of Kuzy off the books.

for Vatrano ?

nope, Podkolzin i'd prefer and will need him next season after a few of our pending UFAs walk.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It doesn't, but it does speak to the offers not being palatable thus far 

It also speaks to them wanting to retain him despite some present disagreement

"Tyler knows how much I'd like to bring him back, but unfortunately right now, there's a possible term difference (in contract talks). That doesn't mean we can't revisit this past the deadline, if he's still here, or in the offseason."

That doesn't make it sound like he won't be traded...just that they'd prefer not to. 

7 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

That doesn't make it sound like he won't be traded...just that they'd prefer not to. 

Teams will have to up their ante if they want him though, the article speaks to current offers not making it worth it 

13 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

for Vatrano ?

nope, Podkolzin i'd prefer and will need him next season after a few of our pending UFAs walk.

Yes, Vatrano. 

Unfortunately, your or my preference isn't particularly valid in this circumstance.  If the Canucks

want to upgrade their top 6 at TDL, it will be at a high price.   I think the price will include Podz.

I doubt there are many Canuck fans that want to see Podz moved, but we have no vote in

the management decisions.