[Speculation] Trade Deadline Primer: Vancouver Canucks

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Good thing the game is played on the ice instead of an excel sheet.  Who cares what some analytics dweeb who has zero understanding of the sport thinks?

image.gif.1f03b84d34f075cec8ba1b73270a4e9d.gif

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, RWJC said:

fuck yeah I do

image.gif.3b7ea79e607d4ca63cfb29b80985456c.gif

this is me quite comfy during trade deadline day 

Fill your boots with your burnt retina flakes but at least learn how to paste for the those of us that don't hate our eyesight 👀

Just now, aGENT said:

Fill your boots with your burnt retina flakes but at least learn how to paste for the those of us that don't hate our eyesight 👀

So demanding, and yet you’re welcome. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Doesnt Tarasenko have a 1% EV defence on projected WAR card. His defence is comparable to Kuzmenko whom our coach continually sat in the press box. Just feel like we’d waste our assets getting a guy the coach won’t like putting out there.

Exactly, 100% correct. RT has a hate for goal scorers who aren't great defensively. Sits them a lot....then has them traded. Who cares if they score 5 goals in 10 games with their new team we got the big dog who's scored 4 in 14 for us, of course Kuzie is -3 for  the Lames so RT was right....oh wait our two way stud is -5, YAY !!! Oh the humanity!

Edited by Moeknows
spelling

6 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

Exactly, 100% correct. RT has a hate for goal scorers who aren't great defensively. Sits them a lot....then has them traded. Who cares if they score 5 goals in 10 games with their new team we got the big dog who's scored 4 in 14 for us, of course Kuzie is -3 for  the Lames so RT was right....oh wait our two way stud is -5, YAY !!! Oh the humanity!

Lindholm’s stats is underwhelming for sure. Lindholm’s advanced defensive metrics are good and hopefully a turnaround is on the horizon. But the advanced defensive metrics on Tarasenko are worse than Kuzmenko and he was in RT’s doghouse. Would suck to spend assets to get a guy worse than Kuzmenko at playing defence so RT can just make him sit in the press box every game.

• Cheers 1

Personally, I'd rather leave the lineup alone.

So often you see a rental come in and it just blows out the chemistry of a winning team. Or they don't perform because they're just sort of "there" after the TDL - on the team, not part of the team.

That said, if they did something insane (and impossible) like 4 firsts for Crosby retained or something... I'd probably be okay with that one. But reality comes back to us and says... I'd rather go with who we've got.

Find another Dakota Joshua somewhere in the league and bring him in at most. Those guys are the playoff aces. The Pat Maroon type guys.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Lindholm’s stats is underwhelming for sure. Lindholm’s advanced defensive metrics are good and hopefully a turnaround is on the horizon. But the advanced defensive metrics on Tarasenko are worse than Kuzmenko and he was in RT’s doghouse. Would suck to spend assets to get a guy worse than Kuzmenko at playing defence so RT can just make him sit in the press box every game.

You got me wrong...agree with you 100% don't want Tarasenko..just ragging on the Lindholm trade

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I'll be pissed if we trade Garland!

Would you? As good as he's been and as much as I enjoy watching him play, he's still not a 5m player. If we could rid ourselves of his contract, I wouldn't be that upset.

I'd be more concerned about losing good young talent like Hogs or Podz in exchange for a likely rental.

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Garland should be an off season move, imho. Even if the whistles are put away a bit in the playoffs, he’s still a pesky and shifty bugger who can draw penalties if we get the PP clicking. 
if we add some firepower by deadline that can spread over both PP lines, Garland will be key in helping net those man advantage opportunities which could very well be a difference maker for us.
Plus, if Joshua comes back and that lines clicks, it’s a scoring and defensively solid 3rd line that is exactly what you need in playoffs - contribution across the board. 

Yepp, The P/O are such a grind you need a player like Garly with his shiftiness and hustle to wear down the opponent. He should definitely be an off-season move. He adds a needed element with his peskiness.

• Cheers 1

I would guess Bluegar, Daks, Hronek be the priorities to sign. As far as Lindholm goes.............I'm under the impression that he was acquired with the intention of signing him at season's end.

Is Lindholm pretty much a rental? I mean I realize the verdict is still out on him; he's been underwhelming offensively as a Canuck thus far, but that doesn't mean out yet. In the event he is, can we trade him? Does his UFA status allow him to leave without us getting anything for him? I know not of these RFA/UFA, trade rights type things.

I've said this previously. I figure Lindholm was our big name get for the TDL and assumed we're now in the market for a  secondary big winger and a defence man. I think really, depending on who they are, that's all we need for now. However, I'm guessing JR/PA looking  to go all in. With all the talk going on come TDL, it sure seems like it. 

I get it. We're in  a situation of losing guys to free agency after the season.  Key guys at that. For sure next years roster will look different. But for now, I'd like to see where things go after TDL.

Are we going all in?           OR          Do we just wanna win a round or two. Giving valuable playoff experience for our young core.

One way or the other I'm excited for this team. Truly some good times ahead for us as Vancouver Canuck fans.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel:

Edited by Sativika

14 hours ago, Combover said:

Rather see toffoli or Vatrano 

Vetrano wouldn’t be a rental and he scores 

toffoli has had great chemistry  with most of our top players.

My vote goes to FV, as he's friends with Petey and could be a great linemate for years to come. Likely much cheaper to re-sign than JG.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Reznor said:

Would you? As good as he's been and as much as I enjoy watching him play, he's still not a 5m player. If we could rid ourselves of his contract, I wouldn't be that upset.

I'd be more concerned about losing good young talent like Hogs or Podz in exchange for a likely rental.

I’m in agreement. Would rather move Garland and his contract than Podkolzin or Höglander, but I’m not sure any team will want to take on that contract yet. 

• Confused 1

Just now, RWJC said:

Have you been watching him play…?

He’s consistently been one of our better players this season night in night out. It’s as if people just ignore how certain players have enabled this team to be where it’s at this season. 

Yes, I have and will say he’s had an excellent season. In my opinion, it’s the limited cap space teams have that is making a trade for him difficult. I think it will be a deal made in the offseason. 

• Cheers 1

I'm one of the few who would rather acquire a bottom-4 defenceman than another forward. We just acquired the top forward of the trade market in Lindholm and look how that panned out. We have more All-stars than any other team. At one point you just get a bit greedy.

Meanwhile we're flogging Hughes and Hronek because with Soucy and now Myers injured, we've got 2 AHLers on our blueline. 

PA did a good job to invest in the defence in the off-season but it seems as if he's forgotten about them now. After the Zadorov deal he looks done with them when in actualy fact we can see the wear and tear on all of our top-4. Hughes is making mistakes, Hronek looks more human, Cole and Myers have looked their age of late as well. Now we go down two defencemen late in the season and that's even more pressure on whoever's left. Friedman and Juulsen are not the answer, if either of them are playing in the playoffs then we've got issues.

Even if it's a depth guy - some other team's bottom pairing or 4th guy to slot in and take an AHLer's minutes, that's all we need.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm one of the few who would rather acquire a bottom-4 defenceman than another forward. We just acquired the top forward of the trade market in Lindholm and look how that panned out. We have more All-stars than any other team. At one point you just get a bit greedy.

Meanwhile we're flogging Hughes and Hronek because with Soucy and now Myers injured, we've got 2 AHLers on our blueline. 

PA did a good job to invest in the defence in the off-season but it seems as if he's forgotten about them now. After the Zadorov deal he looks done with them when in actualy fact we can see the wear and tear on all of our top-4. Hughes is making mistakes, Hronek looks more human, Cole and Myers have looked their age of late as well. Now we go down two defencemen late in the season and that's even more pressure on whoever's left. Friedman and Juulsen are not the answer, if either of them are playing in the playoffs then we've got issues.

Even if it's a depth guy - some other team's bottom pairing or 4th guy to slot in and take an AHLer's minutes, that's all we need.

Agreed, but Soucy is about to come back so there is an add right there if he can finally stay healthy.

I’d like just one more NHL #3-5 Dman though too.

Dumba is the guy I hope they go after, Can play 4-6 Dman minutes in a pinch and is capable of laying the body if needed, shouldn't be too pricey either. Mantha or Zucker would also be a good fit for playoffs. 

Guentzel would be nice but I think the price will end up being uncomfortably high. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Agreed, but Soucy is about to come back so there is an add right there if he can finally stay healthy.

I’d like just one more NHL #3-5 Dman though too.

Problem is if you add a 3-5 dman and everyone is healthy you are scratching Zadorov or Soucy. Not ideal to have 3.25-3.75 in the press box, I would rather allocate those funds to a winger who will play.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Writing off Lindholm this early is beyond silly, people forget that there is limited practice time this time of year so getting settled and gelling with a line takes some time as you're doing it on the fly in game rather than through practice and camp. Defensively he's still solid the points will come have some patience. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Dumba is the guy I hope they go after, Can play 4-6 Dman minutes in a pinch and is capable of laying the body if needed, shouldn't be too pricey either. Mantha or Zucker would also be a good fit for playoffs. 

Guentzel would be nice but I think the price will end up being uncomfortably high. 

Dumba is mid at best and wasn't all that good at his peak, not sure he's what we need.