The Video Game Channel

Shekky

6 minutes ago, Shekky said:

I put about 5 hours into starfield it was boring every minute of that game. Some people have said that it gets more fun after 12 hours but I couldn't get through that. Thankfully I never purchased the game I played it on PC Game Pass.

I was thinking about loading up No Man's Sky again. The game is really good I played it on launch and it was alright then, it really lacked a lot of content but I'm glad the devs stuck with it and kept releasing more content to get the game where it is today.

To be fair, the notion of "it gets more fun later" is a flawed argument at times. A user's experience (and often opinion) is developed within the 1st hours. The people saying it gets better later have already put in the time into the game to create bias since they're going to want to justify their own time playing it.

On the other hand. I play FFXIV which absolutely has a slow start and that story gets amazing later on... but you have to literally play it for a while before you get to that point. That's more an issue of FFXIV having a rocky development start mind you. They've tried to fix it a bit which is good, but I think that will always being that game's handicap.

That being said, I can say I've enjoyed the game. I think it just depends on what you want out of a game.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

To be fair, the notion of "it gets more fun later" is a flawed argument at times. A user's experience (and often opinion) is developed within the 1st hours. The people saying it gets better later have already put in the time into the game to create bias since they're going to want to justify their own time playing it.

That being said, I can say I've enjoyed the game. I think it just depends on what you want out of a game.

yeah I think that explains why the user reviews for the game are 5-6 out of 10 on metacritic you either really like the game or you don't.

Just now, Shekky said:

yeah I think that explains why the user reviews for the game are 5-6 out of 10 on metacritic you either really like the game or you don't.

I think part of it for me is I came from just playing modded Skyrim, so the similarities were there. I like that overall format.

My main criticisms for Starfield would be the dungeons get boring fast and the companions are among the most annoying I've experienced in a game. Like if you choose the wrong option and have a main companion with you, they'll dislike it. It feels really limiting if you want to experience all of the quests.

Gave up on Starfield already. Terribly disappointed in Bethesda, snoozer of a game that doesn’t stand up to numerous comparables. Not great as explorer or shooter, terrible as dogfight game. Does too many things and does them poorly and somehow still manages to be boring. 

Back to BG3.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I've been playing Starfield lately. I expected bugs so that wasn't so much an issue for me. I think since I didn't really have expectations to begin with, the game's been very enjoyable for me. It definately needs some fixing, but I'm getting Skyrim vibes in space from it which isn't a bad thing.

Other games I've been playing:

Final Fantasy XIV

Elder Scrolls Online

No Man's Sky

Skyrim (I have like 900+ mods in my current playthrough)

Eventually, I want to get into Baldur's Gate 3. I have the game, I just haven't really started it yet. I also want to try Horizon which I've also recently bought.

If you played the other BG/Icewind dale you will love BG3 but the rules are very different. 
Can’t say enough good things about Horizon Zero Dawn. Fantastic game. 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

If you played the other BG/Icewind dale you will love BG3 but the rules are very different. 
Can’t say enough good things about Horizon Zero Dawn. Fantastic game. 

Yeah I honestly have a whole backlog of good games on steam I need to get to. It's almost intimidating at times, like I'll get stuck trying to decide and end up not playing any of them. lol

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I honestly have a whole backlog of good games on steam I need to get to. It's almost intimidating at times, like I'll get stuck trying to decide and end up not playing any of them. lol

I'm the exact same way lol I have nearly 600 games on steam and have played at most maybe 10% of them lol.

• Tank 1

Ok i got one to complain about... assassins' creed valhalla PC... the game is riddled with Bugs and crashes all the time, the developer basically says it our issue, but there is many having the same issue even people with 4090's... so Ubi-Soft FU! last time im buying from you...

Road 96 is a fun game if you like choose your own adventure games like the telltale games... if you liked those you will probably like this.. every playthrough is different and there is like 30 different story lines... premise is a country run by a dictator named Tyrak, you must choose to fight the tyrant, vote out the tyrant or flee how you react changes how the game ends... im gonna play it right now actually its full of heart felt emotional scenes where you have to make tough moral decisions.

I bought the latest Nascar Heat game and the online enviroment was a little disappointing full of people just taking you out, the main game was fun, but got repetitive real quick played maybe 30 hours...

Edited by Dankmemes187

I'm a huge fan of a lot of the old school Final Fantasy games from Super Nintendo and Playstation. I must have purchased these games like 7 or 8 times since they were originally released.  I used to emulate SNES on my old iMac from 98' and played a few japanese versions of snes games that were translated to English like Final Fantasy V which was an amazing game that never made it over to North America on Super Nintendo but was later released on PSX. I still have my original Playstation versions of these games like FFVII and FVIII. Here's a picture of these games I originally had for PSX I'll never sell these lol

image.thumb.png.8a1d45d7b0afe0e143800c812f41fcc3.png

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Haven't played since June, but I started back in 2015 and was pretty consistently playing for almost 8 years. Got up to about Champ 2, but I'm not sure I'm still that level. From what I hear, they changed the rank distribution a bit and made it harder to hit the higher ranks recently.

I'm thinking about getting a controller with replaceable parts and getting back into the game.

You'd be probably still be waaaaayyy better than me if you got to champ at one point 😂😂

13 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Gave up on Starfield already. Terribly disappointed in Bethesda, snoozer of a game that doesn’t stand up to numerous comparables. Not great as explorer or shooter, terrible as dogfight game. Does too many things and does them poorly and somehow still manages to be boring. 

Back to BG3.

Sounds like you got the typical Bethesda experience. Overhyped and under deliver. At least it ain't buggy this time from what I heard.

7 hours ago, sashimi said:

You'd be probably still be waaaaayyy better than me if you got to champ at one point 😂😂

Haha yeah probably. I don't mind playing with players worse than me though. I have a friend I used to regularly play with who I used to play with when he was Silver and I was D3. Now he's like plat 3 or something though, so we're a bit closer in level than we used to be.

7 hours ago, 24K said:

Sounds like you got the typical Bethesda experience. Overhyped and under deliver. At least it ain't buggy this time from what I heard.

To be fair, Skyrim certainly didn't underdeliver. Starfield has some of it's classic Bethesda bugs, but I've only had one CTD in about 60 hours. Almost thought I softlocked myself at one point, but I managed to get out. No game-breaking bugs so far.

7 hours ago, 24K said:

Yeah stability was good for what I played, just the game wasn't.

Ooh, the Horizon sequel sounds like coming to PC next month.

58 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yeah stability was good for what I played, just the game wasn't.

Ooh, the Horizon sequel sounds like coming to PC next month.

Might have to get that. Gave the first one a try on PC and was surprised at how good it was. Beat the whole game and almost the entire DLC too.

• 2 weeks later...

Playstation Boss Jim Ryan is Stepping Down

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2023/09/27/playstation-boss-jim-ryan-stepping-down/

UPDATE: Further information comes from a Sony press release(via Wario64) that states Ryan will retire in March 2024 with Hiroki Totoki set to serve as Chairman of SIE starting in October 2023. As of April 1, 2024, Totoki will be made interim CEO of SIE alongside his position as President, COO, and CFO at Sony Group.

“After 30 years, I have made the decision to retire from SIE in March 2024,” Ryan said in a statement. “I’ve relished the opportunity to have a job I love in a very special company, working with great people and incredible partners. But I’ve found it increasingly difficult to reconcile living in Europe and working in North America. I will leave having been privileged to work on products that have touched millions of lives across the world; PlayStation will always be part of my life, and I feel more optimistic than ever about the future of SIE. I want to thank Yoshida-san for placing so much trust in me and being an incredibly sensitive and supportive leader.”

Edited by runningback33

• 2 weeks later...

Diablo IV far too much for a healthy adult yet nowhere near enough to keep up with other more serious players

Classic 80's arcade game Ladybug on PC emulator at least once a week just on general principle

ARC_Lady_Bug.png

Edited by Steamer4GM

I am eagerly awaiting the release of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic remake. It was in developer hell but now has new management and the quarterly report from the company was that it was being worked on.

It is IMO one of the best RPG games of all time. This game made me a Star Wars nerd. Story, Music, Characters rival that of the movies and it even has one of the greatest video game plot twists!