Line Combination idea while Joshua out (two good scoring lines)

Pettersson-Lindholm-Boeser

Miller-Bluegar-Garland

Mikheyev-Suter-Hoglander

Podkolzin-Lafferty-PDG

-You emulate the Lotto line by having 3 of your 4 best forwards on one line.

-You reward the Bluegar/Garland line by giving them a winger that would probably be the closest thing to an effective Joshua replacement.

-Realistically, JT Miller is probably the only forward on our team that doesn’t need to play alongside a fellow superstar in order to be effective offensively (I think a line of

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Suter would be an outstanding shut down line).

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Confused 1

I don't like the idea of breaking up good things, like Miller and Boeser, who have built up chemistry.  Line blending doesn't work long term.  

Suter             Miller              Boeser

Hoglander    Pettersson     Mikheyev

Podkolzin     Lindholm        Garland

Joshua         Blueger          Lafferty

If we don't make any more trades, then this is what I want to see.  This is the most balanced lineup we can put on the ice.  We need "two partners" for each line.  Miller/Boeser, Petey/Hoglander, Lindholm/Garland, Blueger/Joshua.

This is the way I see it.  They can mix and match the 3rd winger.  I'd even try Podkolzin with Miller/Boeser and play Joshua with Lindholm/Garland.

If we are after Guentzel, then he would play with Petey to make a stronger second line.  Most likely, Mikheyev would go the other way to balance salary...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't like the idea of breaking up good things, like Miller and Boeser, who have built up chemistry.  Line blending doesn't work long term.  

If we don't make any more trades, then this is what I want to see.  This is the most balanced lineup we can put on the ice.  We need "two partners" for each line.  Miller/Boeser, Petey/Hoglander, Lindholm/Garland, Blueger/Joshua.

This is the way I see it.  They can mix and match the 3rd winger.  I'd even try Podkolzin with Miller/Boeser and play Joshua with Lindholm/Garland.

If we are after Guentzel, then he would play with Petey to make a stronger second line.  Most likely, Mikheyev would go the other way to balance salary...

You just broke up the no name® line.

Never let fear get in the way of change.  If something better comes along (ie. a new line with better chemistry), go for it.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You just broke up the no name® line.

Never let fear get in the way of change.  If something better comes along (ie. a new line with better chemistry), go for it.

Podkolzin looks good.  Really good.  I think it is his coming out party.  IMO, he’s a better player than Höglander.  I’d even move him up to the Miller/Boeser line and then put Joshua back on the no name line…

While Joshua is out.

Mikheyev     Miller              Boeser

Hoglander    Pettersson    Lindholm..... Lindy goes up because surely, he was traded for to help the top 6

Podkolzin     Blueger         Garland

Pizza Man    Suter             Lafferty..... Suter goes back on the 4th line because we need a 4th that can do something

When Joshua is back.

Mikheyev      Miller              Boeser

Hoglander    Pettersson     Lindholm

Joshua         Blueger          Garland..... best 3rd line in hockey....c'mon!

Podkolzin     Suter              Lafferty

Looks pretty good with no TDL changes but clearly, Mikky is the odd man out, if they can land Geuntzel, so much the better

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like it but I would switch Podz and Suter ..Podz likes to hang on to the puck more opening up more room for Millsy and Boes.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm with you there. Except I want to be a 4 line team

Suter Miller Brock

Lafferty Pete Mik this line has actually been our best by goals % 6-1 and have a better Fenwik than the lotto line in a similar sample.

Dak Bluger Garland

Hog Lindholm Podkolzin don't consider it a 4th line consider it a development line. Lindholm is a great mentor. If you don't respect them they will make you pay respect them even a lil and our other lines will have their way. 

Of course Laff Pete Mik look boring on paper but IMO this is how to shake Pete free from getting matched up on. They don't have to score a lot they just have to score more than the other guys. If they put their top defenders on Pete our other 3 lines will score if they don't Pete will. 

image.thumb.png.44a1736f54f327002d62a703af30c35c.png

Of course Pete will still get his PP time Lindholm will see both special teams they'll get their mins and their points. But I want 4 waves of attack 5v5 to keep guys fresh. 

To the OP one of Lafferty, Pod, PDG should fill in for Dak. I wouldn't go switching the whole lineup around. Especially not separating Miller from Boeser.  

I would like us to add a bottom 6 shot blocking grinder like Clutterbuck or Beck Malenstyne. Carrick or Duhaime would also do the trick. 

I don't want to be giving up the sun moon and stars for Guentzel. 

6 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I like it but I would switch Podz and Suter ..Podz likes to hang on to the puck more opening up more room for Millsy and Boes.

I’d love to see  Podkolzin/Miller/Boeser for a game or two.  Podkolzin is a literal puck hound.  He is the exact player Miller needs to allow him to focus on setting up Boeser or scoring his own goals…

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d love to see  Podkolzin/Miller/Boeser for a game or two.  Podkolzin is a literal puck hound.  He is the exact player Miller needs to allow him to focus on setting up Boeser or scoring his own goals…

I hope they try it, Could be something special!

Hope we can flip Mik at the deadline somehow and add a stud for the second line, Man that forward group would look deadly from 1-4.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I hope they try it, Could be something special!

Hope we can flip Mik at the deadline somehow and add a stud for the second line, Man that forward group would look deadly from 1-4.

Podkolzin is his rookie year when he had 14 goals was playing with Miller and I believe Pearson.  Podkolzin is a natural fit with Miller as their games are perfect for each other.  I’m hoping that Tocchet realizes this and plays them together soon…

Our team seems to work well when we have the NHL 24 style of chemistry on each line - a grinder/forchecker, a two-way defensive guy, a playmaker and a shooter/sniper. If we have a combination of these characteristics on each line we do well.

Suter - Miller - Boeser works well because Suter seems to be forechecking really well, Miller is a good two-way guy and playmaker and Boeser is the shooter.

Petey and Hoglander work so well together because Hoglander is a dog of a forechecker, both are good defensively, but I wonder if they could use a sniper to set up. We don't really have one right now but boy it really should be Lindholm (or another forward we should have targetted with all those assets...).

Garland isn't a sniper, he's more of a forechecker so can't quite put him there. Mikheyev does neither. Blueger has racked up some goals and actually would fit the chemistry portfolio but then messes up the rest of our bottom-6.

A crazy idea we haven't tried for some reason is to play Boeser with Petey again - we abandoned this a long time ago (Green era?) and never went back to it.

i dunno why ppl insisting on playing bluegar and garland in the top 6.. they are effective as a 3rd line because they are matched up against other teams 3rd/4th line and 2nd/3rd pairing defence.. if playing up the lineup matched up against stronger player.. they won't have the same effect.. there's reason why bluegar hardly played in any of the playoff runs.. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It is really a little strange why Garland hasn’t been given a serious shot in the top six.  I get not messing with a good thing when his line with Joshua was going…. But we have thrown pretty much every other forward as a test on the top lined except Garland.

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Petterson-Lindholm-Hoglander

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

PDG-Blueger-Podkolzin 

• Cheers 1