[Speculation] 3 way trade possibility between VAN, PIT, BOS

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Lindholm of today is certainly not the best player in the deal.  He is a 3C at this point.  How exactly is Guentzel overrrated?  He scored 36 goals last year and 40 the year before and was on pace for 84 points this year before his injury...

Going by Lindholm of today with limited practice is extremely short sighted though. I would still lean towards a rental C than a rental winger

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Going by Lindholm of today with limited practice is extremely short sighted though. I would still lean towards a rental C than a rental winger

I think the plan would be to extend JG. Lindholm isn't going to re-sign, apparently.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think the plan would be to extend JG. Lindholm isn't going to re-sign, apparently.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'd still lean toward keeping Lindholm and finding a C elsewhere in the offseason

If you can turn Lindholm into JG, though, and re-sign him, that's a big win. We have centre depth already with Petey, Miller, Blueger, Suter, Raty.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, having one of Mik, Suter or Hoglander as one of the wingers on our top 2 lines isn't really the problem. They're all 3rd line/complementary top 6 guys. And most teams don't have 6 full fledged top 6 guys in their top 6. I'd expect to see all 3 rotated in those spots depending on game, opponent, health etc.

But you  DO need another legit top 6 guy to pair with Petterson. Miller-Boeser make a fine, legit top 6 pair. We don't have a "Boeser" for Petey right now though (Lindholm doesn't appear to be that guy).

Barbashvev     Eichel               Marchessault

Karlsson          Stephenson     Stone

Vegas says to hold my beer.  If we want to win a cup we need to go through Vegas.  Suter and Mikheyev in the top 6 isn't going to send us to the promised land.  I don't have a problem with Hoglander in the top 6, but that still leaves 2 holes...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, RWJC said:

Updates On Jake Guentzel, Elias Lindholm

March 5th, 2024 at 3:39pm CST • By Brennan McClain

One month ago, the Vancouver Canucks acquired forward Elias Lindholm from the Calgary Flames in a trade to bolster the organization’s top-six. Now, it appears that Lindholm’s days in Vancouver may be numbered, as Chris Johnston of TSN is reporting that the Canucks have spoken with the Boston Bruins about flipping Lindholm in order to acquire Jake Guentzel from the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In theory, a trade could work between the three teams, but there will undoubtedly be a lot of moving parts in any trade of this magnitude. Hypothetically, the Bruins could send a package of Jake DeBrusk and John Beecher to the Penguins, with the Canucks sending Vasily Podkolzin to Pittsburgh as well.

Before this year started, the Bruins were heavily rumored to be a team looking for center help after watching Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci retire in the offseason. Nevertheless, the team opted to utilize Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle as their one-two punch down the middle. Both players have handled the pressure well, with Coyle now six points away from a career-high in a single season.

It is interesting to see Lindholm’s name pop back up in trade rumors, as they surrounded him for nearly a year in Calgary. In 14 games with the Canucks since the trade in late January, Lindholm has scored two goals and six points overall coupled with a 58.1% faceoff percentage.

Ultimately, the team may prefer to add more offense to their wings, instead of employing Lindholm in a third-line role down the middle.

In the hunt for their third President’s Trophy victory in franchise history, the Canucks are seemingly doing everything they can to create a Stanley Cup-caliber team. Infamously, even with the organization now being 53 years old, Vancouver has lost all three Stanley Cup Finals in team history.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/updates-on-jake-guentzel-elias-lindholm.html#ref=home

Interesting - BUT - did we really need to be reminded with that last sentance......? ) Toronto media - always have to throw in a Jab because they know Vancouver is better than them!  (pure Jealousy)!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

If you can turn Lindholm into JG, though, and re-sign him, that's a big win. We have centre depth already with Petey, Miller, Blueger, Suter, Raty.

Raty is a stretch right now we don't know what we have at the NHL level with him yet to include him, especially to fill a void left by  a real good 2 way C

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Interesting - BUT - did we really need to be reminded with that last sentance......? ) Toronto media !

At least we have 3 more appearances in the final since there were 3 rounds to get there 😂

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Colorado has loaded up, Edmonton, Vegas got Mantha....Dubas is losing leverage....not many teams will be left for Guenztel....

All this movement is good for the Canucks....we can either say F it....and stand pat, because our competition is all in this year, and probably better positioned. Or Pitts we'll take Guentzel but not if it means screwing out future....

I think all these moves will shake Alvin and JR into reality a bit - and that's not to give up the farm

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Vegas says to hold my beer.  If we want to win a cup we need to go through Vegas.  Suter and Mikheyev in the top 6 isn't going to send us to the promised land.  I don't have a problem with Hoglander in the top 6, but that still leaves 2 holes...

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And most teams don't have 6 full fledged top 6 guys in their top 6.

Most.

And by all means, I'm well onboard for fixing that issue by adding a guy and some mix/rotation of Hoglander/Mik/Suter as complementary guys on those lines, if Lindholm is not in fact the answer there.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As soon as we can operate 10-17mill over cap we'll have a top 6 that good too. Games are still won on ice not paper though. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

If we went down the flipping lindy route I would rather target Vatrano. Not only is he good friends with petey. You get him at 3.65 for this year AND next!

Now that's something I'd be ok with.  Moving out a C, who takes a good chunk of your important draws, for a W seems like a terrible idea.

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You're assuming stone will be back.  He's got a lacerated spleen, hr may very well be gone for the year 

3 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Is there any confirmation Lindholm won’t re-sign?

how many proven top 6 selke quality right shot centreman will be available this summer?

there's a reason he's looking for $9 mil. 

Edited by tas

2 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Is there any confirmation Lindholm won’t re-sign?

Even if he doesn't, so what?  Everyone here assumed he was a rental anyway.  If they can't re-sign EL, it's unlikely they can re-sign JG.  Id rather have a rental C than a rental W

• MillerTime 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Horvat was about as close to winning the Selke as Teddy Blueger.  Also, Horvat was a pending UFA and wanted above market value, so we signed Miller instead and shipped him out.  Kuzmenko was scoring goals last year even with Tocchet, so nobody expected him to regress like he did this year.  So it made sense to flip him for a 2C/RW to play with Petey.  Unfortunately, Lindholm is not at the level he used to be and is being used as a 3C.  Also, from what I hear Allvin may not be able to re-sign him.  A sign and trade was not possible because Lindholm most likely wants to wait until the summer.  

At the end of the day, we are going for the cup.  There is no point in moving forward with Lindholm as a 3C.  That's why we have Blueger, who has played great on our 3rd line.  Petey still needs help and a pure goal scoring winger.  That's why they are contemplating flipping Lindholm for Guentzel.  Tocchet doesn't want to go into the playoffs with Mikheyev or Suter as one of Petey's wingers...

Couple things, Blueger gets no recognition for the Selke because he isnt top 6. Personally I would say he is very fucking close to a Selke C. By definition “best defensive forward” Blueger is exactly that. His defensive numbers his whole career are fucking insane.  Let me put it to you this way, how many 3/4C get Selke votes? Rarely any. You know who got Selke votes as a bottom 6C? Teddy fuckin Blueger. The Selke is given out to guys who are star players, idk if there has ever been a bottom 6C to ever win that award. Dont knock Horvat and dont down play Blueger. Horvat is a 30g scorer 55% in the draw and plays all situations and is sturdy as fuck. 

Yes Kuzmenko was scoring last year. But the actual issues with his game were always present. His skating should have been the first clear sight indication to move him at peak value.

We brought Lindholm in to play C because Pettersson is weak in the circle. He is 44%. Thats an issue in a 7 game series. 

so if Allvin knew Lindholm wouldnt re-sign… why the fuck would you make that trade only to need to move him again. Thats just fuckin dumb especially when the goal was to get a true 2C. Now we cannot keep the lotto line together and weaker down the middle. They could have just went hard after a cost controlled 2C like Eriksson-Ek or a guy who is willing to re-sign and is a legit 2C elsewhere.

also at the end of the day… if you are going for a cup. Why the hell wouldnt you want Lindholm as 3C and Blueger 4C? Thats the deepest fuckin middle in the entire league by a landslide.

Millsy

Petey

Lindy

Bluey

good luck with possession outside the 2C matchup.

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Couple things, Blueger gets no recognition for the Selke because he isnt top 6. Personally I would say he is very fucking close to a Selke C. By definition “best defensive forward” Blueger is exactly that. His defensive numbers his whole career are fucking insane.  Let me put it to you this way, how many 3/4C get Selke votes? Rarely any. You know who got Selke votes as a bottom 6C? Teddy fuckin Blueger. The Selke is given out to guys who are star players, idk if there has ever been a bottom 6C to ever win that award. Dont knock Horvat and dont down play Blueger. Horvat is a 30g scorer 55% in the draw and plays all situations and is sturdy as fuck. 

Yes Kuzmenko was scoring last year. But the actual issues with his game were always present. His skating should have been the first clear sight indication to move him at peak value.

We brought Lindholm in to play C because Pettersson is weak in the circle. He is 44%. Thats an issue in a 7 game series. 

so if Allvin knew Lindholm wouldnt re-sign… why the fuck would you make that trade only to need to move him again. Thats just fuckin dumb especially when the goal was to get a true 2C. Now we cannot keep the lotto line together and weaker down the middle. They could have just went hard after a cost controlled 2C like Eriksson-Ek or a guy who is willing to re-sign and is a legit 2C elsewhere.

also at the end of the day… if you are going for a cup. Why the hell wouldnt you want Lindholm as 3C and Blueger 4C? Thats the deepest fuckin middle in the entire league by a landslide.

Millsy

Petey

Lindy

Bluey

good luck with possession outside the 2C matchup.

Blueger is very good defensively.  I would say defensively he is much better than Horvat.  However, he will never win the Selke as a 3C/4C, you are correct.  Just like Horvat will never win the Selke.  The last defensive C to win the Selke was Kris Draper 20 years ago.  Before Draper it was Mike Peca and before him it was Guy Carbonneau.  I watched Carbonneau play.  He was one of the best defensive centres in NHL history and a big part of those Montreal cup teams.

You can't negotiate with a player prior to acquiring him via a trade unless you get permission.  So Allvin didn't know exactly what to expect from Lindholm.  Same with Lou with BO.  That's why Lou had to overpay BO and admitted it.

It would be great to have 4 strong centres for the playoffs.  However, we didn't acquire Lindholm to be a 3C, we already have a 3C in Blueger.  Suter can play as a 4C.  Which is why we need AT LEAST one more top 6 winger.  Maybe even 2...

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, tas said:

how many proven top 6 selke quality right shot centreman will be available this summer?

there's a reason he's looking for $9 mil. 

Do you know that for sure he’s seeking 9 million a year or is that speculation?