Can someone please explain "Regional Blackouts" to me please?

1 hour ago, Goalie29 said:

Not wrong.

I was referring mostly to Vancouver games as that was the OP's concern.  Don't Montreal and Ottawa have regional deals with TSN?  Then those games would never show up on Sportsnet's out-of-market broadcasts, would they?

They show on the app when they are sportsnet carried opponents like the Canucks are.  So when the Canucks played Ottawa I could not watch the game live in NB nor watch it as a delayed stream despite being a premium subscriber.  And sportsnet confirmed to me that was working as intended.  

So with no revenue stream to protect they still limit game access even to premium subscribers.  

On another note.  I could not even watch highlights or anything on my phone with the premium subscription when I was in Mexico, which was also disappointing.  I understand the Mexican IP address was why.  But as the subscriber I had hoped I still could at least watch highlights amd news.  

We have it so much better down here in the US.   ESPN+ is included with my streaming package and I get every Canucks game included.   Things are so much better than longsuffering through NHL Center Ice or In-demand, synching with Team 1040 for the voice over, all in 480i/SD and paying nearly $250 a year.

20 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Toni Zamboni helped me out...worked very well so I can now watch Canucks games in AB. Thanks Toni! One million up votes!

Good to hear!

I’m not sure why your SN premium didn’t work. 

I bought it when I moved to AB myself. I purchased the premium to remove the black outs and so far i’ve been able to watch every game. 

Not sure why it won’t work for you!? 

These regional black outs are stupid for sure. Just glad I can watch my Nucks in AB. 

Cheers

• Cheers 1

On 3/6/2024 at 4:38 PM, ABNuck said:

Apparently only works til you get caught by Sportsnet...it's actually in their T's and C's, they mention remote VPN's to appear to be in another region. This is the year though to watch...I have a good feeling that we may be able to go deep...

Get a VPN that has a server in BC. I can connect from the Cayman Islands and see all the Canucks games.   Trick is a VPN company with a multitude of servers in various locations, then loop thru the one you want.   Its a pay service, but its cheaper than the old Center Ice or Sportsnet +

• Thanks 1

It's god aweful. I'll pay for games if they make it easy, but it's rediculous. I can get cable and get ~60 games per season, then have to pay for center ice to get the other ~20. I'd happily pay $25 a month to have every Canucks game in one place, but that just isn't an option. So eff them, I'll just steal the games.