[PGT] Canucks at Kings

39 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Only was able to see OT highlights. Sounds like a blessing with all the trap talk.

Seemed like Fiala's penalty in OT was kinda weak, but didn't get a good view. Was it a lucky break, or did he really deserve it? (Not that I mind too much if it was a bad call, we've been on the receiving end of some bad ones this year)

I didn’t see it myself but here’s a comment from someone else. Also a little bit of karma after Fiala going down so easy and drawing a penalty on Hronek in the third period last game.

Refs also missed a jersey tug by Petey in ot.

IMG_1162.jpeg

IMG_1163.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

YAAAAAS!!!!!MILLER IN OT!!!!

OHHH HELLZ YEAH!!!!

Just finished watching the game after work.  That was a close game. EP starting to look better. Loving Podz and Hogz. We need to dump Mik. Demko looking good. Garland is a gamer. Soucy!!! Juul's is steady. 

Miller Time baby!!

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

41 minutes ago, YourHuckleberry said:

Agreed. This team has shown they have elite skill but when other teams grind them out, it evens the playing field. It will be great to have Dak back but one more bigger bodied mucker who can bully his way to the net to cause some breakdowns in the defensive structure would go a long way. I also like Podz in his short stint but we need a big body that can get to the net consistently.

I sometimes wonder if it’d be worth giving Zads the Byfuglien treatment in games like this. The guy can skate and has shown some hands, and you don’t have to think as much when you’re playing on your toes as a forward. Would hate to be the defender with him as F1 on the forecheck too.

Yes I'd love to see Zad's activated more off the rush. His speed and his gumption for the net and physical contact!

• Like 1
  • Wiener 1

26 minutes ago, Bardown said:

LA at home is hard to come back agains - particularly with a LEAD IN THE THIRD 

forest for the trees 

go argue with Tocchet you’re clearly smarter on hockey than he and I - since he agreed with me post game 

Semantics my friend. I’m not arguing that Demko’s save was not spectacular. Someone made the point that it was a team win, the stars (Demko included) all doing their part. When I said it was apples and oranges, my point was that If Petey doesn’t score, the save is irrelevant. It was a good team win.

We could go back and forth if you want, but it’s not about being right, because we both are…. right.

Oh, also I am glad you had a chance to chat with Tocchet post game. Next time you see him tell him I said hi, and I think he’s a great coach!

Edited by Captkirk888
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

This is the kind of effort we need to bring every game from now on… This is playoff hockey

these guys can do it!!!

Petey had a great game too!!!

I've been saying all things considered, we're still a young team learning how to win. So far we've shown we're up to the task. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2
  • Wiener 1

16 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Great year to be a Canuck fan. Nice to see the team actually come through in important games late in the season.

Late comments.

1. The game was close on the scoreboard and went to OT. So the game could have gone either way with a bounce here or there. But the Canucks were the better team by a significant margin. LA had an edge in the first period, but the Canucks played excellent hockey in the second and third periods, and in OT. The shot totals were fairly close (31-24). Corsi totals were more one-sided (65-45). But high danger chances were completely one-sided (16-3). In expected goals the Canucks had twice as much: 2.62 - 1.32. The Canucks deserved this win and if they play like this consistently will win most of the time from here on out.

2. The Canuck D played a tight game, again. But Demmer still had to come up with some huge saves, including his game-saving "catch" on Turcotte late in the third period. Nice to see him back in the groove.

3. The Canuck stars came up big as Petey, Hughes, and Miller all had great games (and so did Hogs). Hoglander, Miller, and Hughes were top 3 on the team in expected goals percentage. Hoggy has played with Petey for stretches at several times and was always dangerous offensively. The problem was that he was also dangerous defensively, and not in a good way. It is great to see that (thanks in large part to Tocchet) he has improved his defensive play to the point were playing him on a line with Petey makes sense. That line was excellent again tonight (with Suter on the other side).

4. On the LA goal, Hronek made two bad plays and Mik lost a puck battle. Everyone makes mistakes and Hronek is very good, but not as good as his numbers would suggest as he gets a huge boost from playing with Hughes. He will be looking for an overpayment this summer. It might make sense to trade him in the summer while his value is high.

5. As for Mik, I have run out of things to say. He has been unlucky but he also has not been anywhere near as good as people hoped or expected. I am not sure how much of it is attributable to his injury as he should be pretty much recovered by now and his problem is not lack of speed. Still hoping for a turnaround.

6.  I continue to be impressed by how much Juulsen improved this year. And it was good to see Soucy back.

Overall, great character win. The Canucks now have 87 points. In 2015-16, Minnesota made the playoffs with 87 points. It will take quite a bit more this year (I am guessing 95), but the Canucks are closing in and they still have 18 games to go. 

Excellent post as usual. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Starting with wearing that stupid looking turtleneck 

The same type Garland wears? After what happened to that guy in the UK I would think we’d be better than calling out guys for wearing life saving protection.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Thats fair, I just think JT is dragging guys into the fight right now & maybe that spark could help Lindy.

Plus Lindy does alot of fundamental things well which should aid JT's game. Just a thought, I'd like to see it tried. 

Preparation turns opportunity into advancement and success

Lindy need to be prepared - he needs to work his way up - start from a lower position so he gets the preparation necessary when the opportunity arises - he’ll eventually get his opportunity to step up - just be patient

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Great year to be a Canuck fan. Nice to see the team actually come through in important games late in the season.

Late comments.

1. The game was close on the scoreboard and went to OT. So the game could have gone either way with a bounce here or there. But the Canucks were the better team by a significant margin. LA had an edge in the first period, but the Canucks played excellent hockey in the second and third periods, and in OT. The shot totals were fairly close (31-24). Corsi totals were more one-sided (65-45). But high danger chances were completely one-sided (16-3). In expected goals the Canucks had twice as much: 2.62 - 1.32. The Canucks deserved this win and if they play like this consistently will win most of the time from here on out.

2. The Canuck D played a tight game, again. But Demmer still had to come up with some huge saves, including his game-saving "catch" on Turcotte late in the third period. Nice to see him back in the groove.

3. The Canuck stars came up big as Petey, Hughes, and Miller all had great games (and so did Hogs). Hoglander, Miller, and Hughes were top 3 on the team in expected goals percentage. Hoggy has played with Petey for stretches at several times and was always dangerous offensively. The problem was that he was also dangerous defensively, and not in a good way. It is great to see that (thanks in large part to Tocchet) he has improved his defensive play to the point were playing him on a line with Petey makes sense. That line was excellent again tonight (with Suter on the other side).

4. On the LA goal, Hronek made two bad plays and Mik lost a puck battle. Everyone makes mistakes and Hronek is very good, but not as good as his numbers would suggest as he gets a huge boost from playing with Hughes. He will be looking for an overpayment this summer. It might make sense to trade him in the summer while his value is high.

5. As for Mik, I have run out of things to say. He has been unlucky but he also has not been anywhere near as good as people hoped or expected. I am not sure how much of it is attributable to his injury as he should be pretty much recovered by now and his problem is not lack of speed. Still hoping for a turnaround.

6.  I continue to be impressed by how much Juulsen improved this year. And it was good to see Soucy back.

Overall, great character win. The Canucks now have 87 points. In 2015-16, Minnesota made the playoffs with 87 points. It will take quite a bit more this year (I am guessing 95), but the Canucks are closing in and they still have 18 games to go. 

Mik… do we really need him?

• Haha 1

I'm really excited to see what they do at the deadline. I think there's another big move coming. I hope it doesn't involve Lekkerimaki/Willander/Podkolzin, but I can't help but feel like it might have too.

Maybe that's why they called Podz up a little early. Make a decision on him / give other teams a look. Just a thought.

We'll see but it doesn't feel like Lindholm is there only move to me. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Good to see a guy who many had written off prove he belongs in the NHL. But it does beg the question of who sits when Myers comes back? My thinking is that Cole would be the most likely candidate. He's played a lot of hockey this year and it may be best to sit him more down the stretch so he'll be rested and ready for the playoffs. So I'd think the pairs would be Hronek and Hughes, Myers and Soucy and Juulsen and Zadorov. I could live with that. Who says no?

• Cheers 1