[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You can't just force the playoffs to happen early in order to prove this is not a "Cinderella team". We have the information we have and we'll find out later on in the playoffs if what we have is enough for a run.

Even so, I don't see the point in thinking this is some Cinderella team. Have some hope dude.

Not saying they couldn't, just that it's a long shot 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Management built a club that can and will win the Cup. And it’s going to start with the Cup this year! 

This is management telling the team they trust them to do it. with sending Podz down they could have even signed Kessel but they did not. Trust!

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Wolainen was good for us when called upon, Hirose looked poised last year, Irwins a vet, Mcward, Woo, Johansen, 

Friedman has some competition for the #8 spot. 

I'd say hirose is no longer considered a viable NHL possibility 

• Sad 1

Just now, TUSK v2.0 said:

This is management telling the team they trust them to do it. with sending Podz down they could have even signed Kessel but they did not. Trust!

Kessel demanded a lifetime supply of Harvest all beefs.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dom said:

It's literally one of the weakest drafts in a long time, I get that we have no picks, but that really shouldn't make you that upset. 

We kept the prospect pool intact. 

Podz/Raty/Bains/Lekkerimaki/D Petey/Willander/Karlsson it's not like our prospect pool is empty. 

We do have a half dozen potential prospects in the pool but NONE of them have proven to be Top NHL players other than on paper - so far.     Don't count chickens until they've hatched!

I hope one of them breaks out as a star, but so far the only players out of that group you mentioned none have made any substantial impact at the NHL level.     Fingers crossed we have at least one "real winner' out the bunch but missing out on an entire year of drafting - like this year looks to be - will not help us down the road.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Dom said:

It's literally one of the weakest drafts in a long time, I get that we have no picks, but that really shouldn't make you that upset. 

We kept the prospect pool intact. 

Podz/Raty/Bains/Lekkerimaki/D Petey/Willander/Karlsson it's not like our prospect pool is empty. 

Our top two picks are intact (Lekkermaki and Willander) but we did give up a highly touted D prospect and our prospects are rated at #18, which is better than #24 or so where we used to be, but still pretty middle of the pack.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not saying they couldn't, just that it's a long shot 

Okay? You can say that with every team though at that point. That's the entire point of the playoffs. It wasn't meant to be easy. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I respect your point of view but that's the type of "explaining away the value of things" that Jim Benning used for almost a decade that left our cupboards empty.   

So far PA/JR have traded away 7 draft picks away over just the next 3 years - after he said he would not do that" and it's starting to get awefully similar to the old regime.     This year alone we have NO 1st, No 2nd, No 3rd/or 4th (The conditional pick to Calgary) and No 5th.   How are we suppossed to keep rebuilding our meager prospect pool with that kind of long term management?    

I hope like you, that all this selling of assets pays off but if it doesn't, we'll be no better than the last regimes we suffered through - for over a decade as we've all seen and lived thru "short-term" thinking and it's pitfalls for far too long!

You think Big Zeke isn't worth a 2026 3rd and a 2024 5th ... and ... DeSmith isn't worth moving out Pearson and a 3rd thus allowing Silvos and others to percolate a bit in the AHL? Lindholm for a 1st in a weak draft I would do all day long and that is before we get to see what the next this month during the 9-game homestand brings in his offensive ability rebounding.

The 2nd used in the Sillman / Dickerson deal probably would be debatable.

Without the moves PA / JR made we would competing with San Jose for the basement and who can sell of the most assets and start the rebuild process now ... oh ya, JT would be long gone and Petey doesn't sign anything other than a QO and forces a trade.

my 2 shekels

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

They just couldn’t get it done. So they come out and say they believe they can compete with current team. Duh we know you can compete but can you contend even when injuries hit and players get slotted up the lineup?  Too bad. Hope I’m proved wrong. 

Just now, The Lock said:

Okay? You can say that with every team though at that point. That's the entire point of the playoffs. It wasn't meant to be easy. lol

Most cup teams are teams to have several playoff failures on their resume.  It's usually a multi year process

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TUSK v2.0 said:

Great post! We're finally seeing things done with thought and foresight.

• Like 1

Just now, Mac said:

I'm happy we did not trade another 1st 2025 and Leff or Willander.

That's the big win, knowing that management likely view them as integral to the roster's future 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Dom said:

Good news.

Hopefully they can get it done before the playoffs start.

Horonek would be best advised to get it done asap if he's planning on staying here long term.

Never know what can happen. One minute you're flying high trying to scratch out an extra couple hundred thousand dollars and the next minute you're injured and everything changes.. 

Get it done and play with mind free and clear going into the playoffs 

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Most cup teams are teams to have several playoff failures on their resume.  It's usually a multi year process

And that just adds to my point. It's not easy.

So what in your opinion would be deemed a "failure" for us in the playoffs this season?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We do have a half dozen potential prospects in the pool but NONE of them have proven to be Top NHL players other than on paper - so far.     Don't count chickens until they've hatched!

I hope one of them breaks out as a star, but so far the only players out of that group you mentioned none have made any substantial impact at the NHL level.     Fingers crossed we have at least one "real winner' out the bunch but missing out on an entire year of drafting - like this year looks to be - will not help us down the road.

You have topped me on the crazy rankings - and that's saying something. LMAO

• Haha 2

I had hoped they would get Tiffoli but do trust JR and PA that they know what they;re doing. iI still seems wierd they wouldn't take a shot at Kessel, league minimum and could be good injury insurance and added bonus to the poerplay, Seemed like a no brainer with little to no downside Oh we'll see in the playoffs it is was a smart decision or not.

• Like 1