[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And that just adds to my point. It's not easy.

So what in your opinion would be deemed a "failure" for us in the playoffs this season?

The Canucks making the playoffs at all makes the season a success, anything come playoff time is gravy. Making the playoffs is how you get playoff experience, and that's not nothing, most teams need to beat their heads against the playoff wall for a while before finally breaking through. The only team in recent memory who didn't was Chicago, who walked to a cup championship in 2010 after making the conference final the season prior (after missing for a while).

Next up would be LA, who won the cup in 2012 after going out come playoff time the two season prior. Every other cup winner over the past decade or so had to wait longer, but was still a playoff regular. 

Teams coming out of nowhere and winning a cup is rare, if you look at the history it tells as much. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And that just adds to my point. It's not easy.

So what in your opinion would be deemed a "failure" for us in the playoffs this season?

A failure meaning you don't win the cup.  Most team who win have tried and failed a few times

Just now, stawns said:

A failure meaning you don't win the cup.  Most team who win have tried and failed a few times

So even if we have a run to the finals and don't win a cup again, you'd consider that to be not a "Cinderella team"?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We do have a half dozen potential prospects in the pool but NONE of them have proven to be Top NHL players other than on paper - so far.     Don't count chickens until they've hatched!

I hope one of them breaks out as a star, but so far the only players out of that group you mentioned none have made any substantial impact at the NHL level.     Fingers crossed we have at least one "real winner' out the bunch but missing out on an entire year of drafting - like this year looks to be - will not help us down the road.

That is called building a winning team.Trade to make them better so the young guys know what it takes and can teach younger guys coming up.

Alvin has done such an amazing job that for the next 5 years or more we should be a winning team.

They unlike Benning are taking time with prospects and not rushing them.

That speaks volumes.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

As much as I wanted something to happen, I'm glad Allvin showed restraint and kept the team/prospect pool intact. I think they probably tried their best to get Guentzel, without giving up Lekkerimaki, D-Pettersson or Willander, but it probably wasn't going to happen. F-you Dubas. You can't have them.

The prices were probably high and the team they have is good enough. They're at the top. Nice that if and when injuries hit, players like Podkolzin, Bains and Karlsson can step in. 

Lekkerimaki next season? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The Canucks making the playoffs at all makes the season a success, anything come playoff time is gravy. Making the playoffs is how you get playoff experience, and that's not nothing, most teams need to beat their heads against the playoff wall for a while before finally breaking through. The only team in recent memory who didn't was Chicago, who walked to a cup championship in 2010 after making the conference final the season prior (after missing for a while), in 2010. 

Next up would be LA, who won the cup in 2012 after going out come playoff time the two season prior. Every other cup winner over the past decade or so had to wait longer, but was still a playoff regular. 

Teams coming out of nowhere and winning a cup is rare, if you look at the history it tells as much. 

And I'm of the same mindset. The fact that we're a playoff team in itself should be exciting.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I wonder how many extra points Colorado gets every year thanks to the  altitude of their home rink? Home ice advantage should be huge against that team.

They are also 14-14-5 on the road. I don't fear them anymore.

34 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

I must say I’ve been impressed by Garland. He’s like a tasmanian devil and run circles around the player he meet.

I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone as quick in tight spaces before.

Somebody named Quinn or something .Maybe you've seen him play ...Just teasing 

Just now, Warhippy said:

There's a chance that management saw what Vegas and Colorado were doing and said hell no to that and decided to just run it out

And if we have that kind of restraint that's great. It means we aren't just selling away the farm for a single run.

Just now, The Lock said:

And I'm of the same mindset. The fact that we're a playoff team in itself should be exciting.

And it will be, absolutely. Making the playoffs that initial time is how a team becomes a playoff regular. But the other bits I've mentioned are why I'm expecting a first or second round exit. I'd be surprised if we go further, not because I think the team is shit, but because typically teams have to do their time before going deep. 

I've been consistent in my stance that we're probably a few years out from contending and have been going back to CDC days, more than likely we'll have to experience some playoff heartbreak before we get a payoff, if we get a payoff. 

The Canucks are competitive, that's great, but there have been growing pains and we'll probably see some more going forward. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So even if we have a run to the finals and don't win a cup again, you'd consider that to be not a "Cinderella team"?

Nope, Cinderella gets the prince in the end of the story 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Déjà Vu said:

juts annoyed we didnt make any moved to strengthen us for the playoff push, all the other contenders did, as much as i love the canucks, i just dont think we have the roster , minus the last 3 games, we are a very shaky team, and sometimes alot of our stars are asleep ..so dunno , how others feel 

We are a very shaky team? Seriously? Did you watch just 7 games in February and completely ignored the first 55 games of the season? This "shaky" team is sitting second in the league in points even after a little 7 game slide.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, ngoway said:

I wouldn't go as far as stating it that way. That's really a negative spin on it just based on not making moves for the sake of moves on the deadline. Management made a ton of moves in advance and if they trust the team, I'd rather stay put than just sell off our top prospects in reaction to what the other teams are doing.

I wouldn't condone making moves for the sake of them but prior to the All star game, we essentially needed depth scoring to support the Lotto line. If someone could play center, great.

We could have gone out and acquired someone like Roslovic or Wennberg who went pretty cheap and could just anchor a 3C role for us. We could have then gone out and acquired one of the many middle-6 wingers who went for no more than a 2nd.

Instead we throw all our assets at Lindholm - another star on a team full of stars - who has been the biggest disappointment of the year.

I know it's a negative spin, and the Lindholm trade was exciting, but it's not what this team needed and now that we spunked all our assets on him, we had nothing left to acquire depth, which is what we needed, and what all the cup contenders acquired.

PA just got schooled, hope he learns his lesson for the next TDL.

• Sad 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

As much as I wanted something to happen, I'm glad Allvin showed restraint and kept the team/prospect pool intact. I think they probably tried their best to get Guentzel, without giving up Lekkerimaki, D-Pettersson or Willander, but it probably wasn't going to happen. F-you Dubas. You can't have them.

The prices were probably high and the team they have is good enough. They're at the top. Nice that if and when injuries hit, players like Podkolzin, Bains and Karlsson can step in. 

Lekkerimaki next season? 

Excellent take. We didn't mortgage the future for a quick one and done. We have a good team. Better than people thought. A lot of teams were playing catch up to us. Allvin and co. were busy this season and smart to not move for the sake of it 

We have a good team. Again, better than some believe. Especially when healthy. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I'm beginning to think the Canucks are he losers of the trade deadline. Gained nothing and lost of the assets to prior deals. 

Don't begin thinking. Based on your conclusions, thinking doesn't seem to be your strong skill 🙂 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

I'm fine with not making a move. I really am. Why risk screwing up the chemistry? What I don't get, is why bring in Kessel and not sign him? The other thing I don't get is how Vegas is allowed to exceed the cap like they do, and the league does FUCK ALL about it. Yeah LTIR whatever. Stone better miss the playoffs, and while I'm at it, I REALLY hope Vegas misses the playoffs and the reason they miss is because we beat them last night!!!!

7 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

That is called building a winning team.Trade to make them better so the young guys know what it takes and can teach younger guys coming up.

Alvin has done such an amazing job that for the next 5 years or more we should be a winning team.

They unlike Benning are taking time with prospects and not rushing them.

That speaks volumes.

It's almost like this management team has a plan..

It's almost like JR has won 3 Cups as manager. 

Everything is good. Let's see how this team does. Let them get a couple of rounds of playoffs  and keep building their experience level. 

We're going to be super happy we didn't trade Lekkerimaki in a couple of years. He's going to be a top 6 goal scorer for us.. future star player on this team.. 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Nurange said:

Somebody named Quinn or something .Maybe you've seen him play ...Just teasing 

Hughes is much slower. 
Garland literally runs around the d and the runs between the legs and no one notice because it’s so damn quick.

If we had added Lafferty , Z and Lindholm today people would have been over the moon. We already made our moves for probably a lot cheaper too!

This team has been a top 5 team since the beginning of the season.. Let's not disturb the chemistry too much.

• Vintage 3