[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

3 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I'm fine with not making a move. I really am. Why risk screwing up the chemistry? What I don't get, is why bring in Kessel and not sign him? The other thing I don't get is how Vegas is allowed to exceed the cap like they do, and the league does FUCK ALL about it. Yeah LTIR whatever. Stone better miss the playoffs, and while I'm at it, I REALLY hope Vegas misses the playoffs and the reason they miss is because we beat them last night!!!!

Using LTIR is like using tax loopholes. Everyone can do it. The NHL can’t let Vegas do it but not allow us to do it as well.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe the reason we didin't sign Kessel is the guys down in the AHL didn't think he's game fit, and/or slow.

I think that’s the obvious conclusion. It was only going to be league minimum, so his foot speed (or fitness) has to be the reason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bardown said:

You know Kuz can't play D and is soft along the boards right?

I'm curious if you think that type of player is successful in the playoffs?

I just hope he wasn't serious this time around 🙂 

• Haha 1

The other win for the Canucks is still having both their 2025 and 2026 1st and 2nd round picks 

They've done a solid job drafting with top picks, hopefully they hold on to these and do more of it 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Maybe bringing in new players would disrupt the excellent room vibe they already have. Allvin not doing anything today shows great trust and belief he has in this team. I'll bet the players are pretty happy they can all stay together and finish what they set out to do.

All Petey and Huggy want are playoffs. They're wired to win and to play in the biggest games. Add that to Miller's heart, grit and leadership, the Josh-Blu-Gar Line, the twin towers, Hroney, Souc and Juuls on D, and of course Demko - they might have what it takes to do something. Also, seeing Mikheyev's intensity, speed and aggression against the Knights was impressive and that could be very promising. 

Once that VAN playoff crowd gets going the team will be fired up. 

• Vintage 1

I'm happy that we didn't give up something just for this cup run but if we do win the Cup, other teams will copy our management style, not trading anyone but trading early and often in the season.   We'd be in contender for years to come with our prospects making the team due to cap and thriving in the environment.   Other teams will slide into obscurity with trades they have made in last few days.

• Cheers 2

I actually cannot complain at the end of the day. This team has EXCEEDED expectations, and you can start to see them coming together down the stretch. And I genuinely do believe that patience will pay dividends with Mikheyev. He plays the right way and his skating is starting to become a lot more effective again - he just needs to get the piano off his back...

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And if we have that kind of restraint that's great. It means we aren't just selling away the farm for a single run.

I admit I had fears that we were going to trade Hogz, Willander, Pettersson, Lekkerimaki or Podkolzin.

I am already nervous about Hunter to Calgary in 5 years the same way I am/was when they chose Andersson with the 2nd we gave them.

But this is definitely not the year ot sell the farm of kids that are showing and potentially ready to make the next step when we desperately need them on ELCs and cost controlled contracts to perform.

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And it will be, absolutely. Making the playoffs that initial time is how a team becomes a playoff regular. But the other bits I've mentioned are why I'm expecting a first or second round exit. I'd be surprised if we go further, not because I think the team is shit, but because typically teams have to do their time before going deep. 

I've been consistent in my stance that we're probably a few years out from contending and have been going back to CDC days, more than likely we'll have to experience some playoff heartbreak before we get a payoff, if we get a payoff. 

The Canucks are competitive, that's great, but there have been growing pains and we'll probably see some more going forward. 

That is the logical path and the more common one. Build up experience, move ahead but then so many teams keep losing in round 1.

We're a strange team. Bubble playoffs, collapse, bruce rally, bruce collapse, late season rally, now on top of the west. We've now had 3 years of 3x 30 goal scorers which isn't common over the past 20 years. Demko has stepped up, hughes has too and the lower additions and blueline have all paid off. It's crazy but I can see us winning it all this year and missing the playoffs the next and i'll take that. 

On 3/6/2024 at 10:17 AM, Honkin Hronek said:

Draisaitl - McDavid - Hyman 

Kane - RNH - Janmark 

Foegele - Henrique - Perry 

Brown - McLeod - Holloway 

Uh oh

Uh oh first round exit let’s goooo

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I admit I had fears that we were going to trade Hogz, Willander, Pettersson, Lekkerimaki or Podkolzin.

I am already nervous about Hunter to Calgary in 5 years the same way I am/was when they chose Andersson with the 2nd we gave them.

But this is definitely not the year ot sell the farm of kids that are showing and potentially ready to make the next step when we desperately need them on ELCs and cost controlled contracts to perform.

Hunter to Calgary I'm not that concerned if we weren't going to be able to sign him anyway. That being said, I wouldn't blame anyone for focusing on former Canucks including the deals that actually made some sense at the time. Clendening could have worked in our favour for all we know but obviously now we have to look at Forsling from afar. lol

3 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I actually cannot complain at the end of the day. This team has EXCEEDED expectations, and you can start to see them coming together down the stretch. And I genuinely do believe that patience will pay dividends with Mikheyev. He plays the right way and his skating is starting to become a lot more effective again - he just needs to get the piano off his back...

Patience is needed with Mikheyev. That injury takes longer than people think. I had the same surgery. The fact that he's playing regularly is great. There will be a next step with him. We do need to be patient. Hopefully he hits a stride in the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

That is the logical path and the more common one. Build up experience, move ahead but then so many teams keep losing in round 1.

We're a strange team. Bubble playoffs, collapse, bruce rally, bruce collapse, late season rally, now on top of the west. We've now had 3 years of 3x 30 goal scorers which isn't common over the past 20 years. Demko has stepped up, hughes has too and the lower additions and blueline have all paid off. It's crazy but I can see us winning it all this year and missing the playoffs the next and i'll take that. 

Maybe, every team that makes the playoffs has a shot, but I'd be surprised 

Not disappointed by any stretch, but surprised 

I'm pretty pragmatic regarding talks of cups and contention 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Integra250 said:

Unfortunately we don’t have 30 million on the LTIR to work with.

Don’t mess with what’s working. We have depth in every position.

like I posted on another blog... sign some AHL-er to a 8X8 contract and put them immediately on LTIR for the duration... viola, instant cap space.

of course Bettman would try to punish us , but it's no different than what Vegas is doing with players magically becoming healthy on day one of the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe the reason we didin't sign Kessel is the guys down in the AHL didn't think he's game fit, and/or slow.

It’s the obvious reason but some people on this board think just because he’s won 3 cups that he will bring us to the promise land. SMH

he was never going to fit in Tochet’s high speed fast checking system. Not even in his prime. Just look at Kuzmenko. You don’t back check or have the awareness to do so, you fucking sit ur ass

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I think that’s the obvious conclusion. It was only going to be league minimum, so his foot speed (or fitness) has to be the reason. 

Sedins said no problem with fitness so must be foot speed

9 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I'm happy that we didn't give up something just for this cup run but if we do win the Cup, other teams will copy our management style, not trading anyone but trading early and often in the season.   

And then years from now we'll tell our grandkids: "Once upon a time the big TV sports networks would devote an entire day of programming to cover the trade deadline--until that year the Canucks won the cup without making any TDL deals. That was just about the end of the old trade deadline ..."

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I haven't checked in on any of our prospects for weeks for this reason exactly: didn't want to get attached.

I would have trusted JR/PA to move Lekkerimaki or Willander for the right return, but I'm really glad they're still in the fold.

• Cheers 1

We already made our moves. I'm good with not making moves for the sake of doing something today, but I did wish we found another top 6 forward. I guess Toffoli doesn't fit our current system or we didn't want to pay 2 draft picks for him.

A bunch of other teams made moves, but whether the play will improved on the ice remains to be seen. Once Joshua is back I think we're in pretty good shape.

And if Kessel isnt in game shape, then it's better to not have him take up a roster spot. 

7 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

It’s the obvious reason but some people on this board think just because he’s won 3 cups that he will bring us to the promise land. SMH

he was never going to fit in Tochet’s high speed fast checking system. Not even in his prime. Just look at Kuzmenko. You don’t back check or have the awareness to do so, you fucking sit ur ass

That's why Tocc loved Bains so much and he got multiple games, and we can now see it in Podz's game too. 

• Like 1

Us not making trades is a nothing burger I will happily digest. This team has chemistry and the determination to finish what they started.

Despite being a die hard fan of this team for about 50 years now, i have faith that this could be a year that becomes a major part of Canuck lore.

if not you all can stuff an apple in my mouth and roast me like a pig, later…..

17 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

like I posted on another blog... sign some AHL-er to a 8X8 contract and put them immediately on LTIR for the duration... viola, instant cap space.

of course Bettman would try to punish us , but it's no different than what Vegas is doing with players magically becoming healthy on day one of the playoffs. 

That won’t help our cap situation in the least. LTIR doesn’t work like that.