[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

We've made the playoffs twice in roughly ten years, forgive me for not expecting a core that's relatively inexperienced regarding playoffs to not waltz straight to a cup after a few years of missing the playoffs 

So what?  You expect them to win a cup by making a few moves today? 

Adding Guentzel or Toffoli wouldn't have changed their odds.   It's always difficult...health, luck and matchups play a big role every time.  

Edited by Jaimito

Just now, Joshrips said:

Yes. The Toffoli that played for us would get us a long awaited Cup. Probably not that same guy though. 

well, I'm glad that Allvin didn't make that decision. JR/PA are looking at a multi-year window. Willander, Lekkerimaki, Hogs, Podz are going to be a big part of that, not the least of which will be their affordability. 

No GM is trading a #11 oa pick for Toffoli. 

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Who hasn't? Podz, Bains, Hogs, Aman, Juuls. 

Everyone in the core has.  Albeit Demko only had 3 games but was sensational.

Cole and Bleuger are cup winners. JT had many stints with TB and Rangers.  Lindy with flames.   

As a group

1 minute ago, Joshrips said:

Yes. The Toffoli that played for us would get us a long awaited Cup. Probably not that same guy though. 

The most ridiculous statement in this entire thread. And that says something - there was some serious competition in that department over these 100 pages...

How can 1 player "get" us a Cup?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

This is worth bringing up. Because everyone is saying we could have paid that too for said player…but not every player WANTS to play in Vancouver or Canada for that matter.

Roslovic is a great example. Winnipeg couldn’t hold onto him because of that very reason. So why would we expect him to want to play for the Canucks. He’s American and wanted to play closer to home. So they traded him to Columbus to suit his wishes. 

At the end if the day we see all these available players and dream about getting them on our club but it’s just not that black and white.

Heck Linus Ullmark just nixed a trade to LA. Players have their reasons and we aren’t privy to them.

So can we quit acting like we lost out on every single trade?

I would have liked more depth but as it’s been said our trade dead line moves were made much sooner than all the rest.

Lets appreciate the hard work that HAS went into this season. We traded out redundant players ie: kuz and beau…upgraded on a prime right handed C. Added size to our back end through free agency and trade. And even added depth to our D by bringing in Friedman, he’s been great for us as a spare D.

They are also sending loud signals to the young guns on the farm that they are ready to call them up and trust them in their line up come playoffs. This is a huge motivation for all our young guys.

Podz, Bains, Karlsson have proven the can fill the gaps in between and keep their heads above water in the NHL.

Why waste this talent, we are seeing the next wave of cost controlled Canucks enter into their primes and all of then are on affordable contracts so the team doesn’t get dismantled 2 years from now.

Our window is just opening and we retained our youth to keep that window open for 5 plus years. Great asset management.

We will make noise come playoffs. It will be great for our current core. This is just the beginning.

Agreed. Definitely would have been nice to make some depth additions, but only if the price was right. I like many if not all of us were hoping for some minor additions, but not at the cost of losing legitimate prospects that we've been lacking for so long.

Our team is still quite well rounded and could still surprise a lot of people in the playoffs. It's no fluke to be 2nd in the entire league through 65 games.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, The Duke said:

We also likely weren’t signing anyone we  traded for this deadline as we’re already unlikely to keep everyone.  May as well save assets for the offseason.  Also glad we kept the top prospects.

Any move today would have been a true “all in” statement.  As it stands; we’re unlikely to keep Lindholm and that was a significant price.

Yep, I think Lind-🏚️ being #1 on the Trade Bait List today - and the fact that PA Did NOT refute the trade rumuors in his post TDL news conference - speaks volumes!   He looks to be very high priced rental at this point that PA now has doubts about.  Hope he can prove his worth in the playoffs!

Attila Umbrus said it very well above. "Our window is just opening and we retained our youth to keep that window open for 5 plus years. Great asset management.

We will make noise come playoffs. It will be great for our current core. This is just the beginning!"  for the Canucks!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Well, we are also going to be adding Dak and Myers back into the lineup at some point, and Breezer is skating again. 

If we can stay healthy then really there isn't really a reason to trade away futures, this team is pretty solid.

Myers could be that big tough hitting winger we need on the 4th line too. If Tocchet needs a bigger match up against a big team in a 7 game series.

I think I'd try that for sure.

PA in his interview just now on 650

the asks from other teams for our young players was an endorsement from around the league of how good of a job our scouts have done and we didn’t want to give up those players as we see them as key parts of the future who we will need on entry level contracts 

paraphrasing 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Our window is 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

well, I'm glad that Allvin didn't make that decision. JR/PA are looking at a multi-year window. Willander, Lekkerimaki, Hogs, Podz are going to be a big part of that, not the least of which will be their affordability. 

No GM is trading a #11 oa pick for Toffoli. 

Our window is JT's window, not that long. That's behind my choice to go all in.

If you're an EP believer, you might think otherwise.

27 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Agreed. Definitely would have been nice to make some depth additions, but only if the price was right. I like many if not all of us were hoping for some minor additions, but not at the cost of losing legitimate prospects that we've been lacking for so long.

Our team is still quite well rounded and could still surprise a lot of people in the playoffs. It's no fluke to be 2nd in the entire league through 65 games.

I’ll take well rounded over top heavy any day.

Vegas and Colorado just sold their souls to try and win another cup.

Good on them. But it doesn’t mean it will work. Just because you stack your team doesn’t mean all the pieces will fit. It’s still a shot in the dark.

Team chemistry wins cups in my opinion.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

So what?  You expect them to win a cup by making a few moves today? 

Adding Guentzel or Toffoli wouldn't have changed their odds.   It's always difficult...health, luck and matchups play a big role every time.  

No, in fact I was one of the more vocal voices that didn't want us to acquire Guentzel.. 

I wasn't advocating for further large scale moves. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Joshrips said:

Our window is 

EP believer? why wouldn't you be. Compare his first 6 years to others around the league, you'll see how special he is. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That's why Tocc loved Bains so much and he got multiple games, and we can now see it in Podz's game too. 

Then Kessel simply wouldn't have been brought in; he is a known commodity for all involved.

I am very surprised he wasn't actually signed unless his wage expectations exceeded PAs offer; once again, something that was surely talked about prior to him coming to Abby. At the very least, he could have served as a coach in the press box for the team for ~$200k. Just strange all around.

3 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

Our window is 

If our window is limited to what remains of Miller's prime than management won't be doing a good job going forward.