[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Now that Petey is signed there is no pressure to win now 

This is true in a way. Less pressure I would say not no pressure. Petey and Miller are locked up so we have our 1-2 punch for 6 more years. Quinn is our captain and now that the boys are staying together he probably sticks around long term. Demko was drafted and developed by Vancouver, so no reason for him to bail either. Boeser probably takes a discount to hang with the boys for a few more years. 

So, our window is probably going to be several years now. Especially given the fact that we kept all of our top prospects. Which will help us to be cap compliant for several more years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

This is worth bringing up. Because everyone is saying we could have paid that too for said player…but not every player WANTS to play in Vancouver or Canada for that matter.

Roslovic is a great example. Winnipeg couldn’t hold onto him because of that very reason. So why would we expect him to want to play for the Canucks. He’s American and wanted to play closer to home. So they traded him to Columbus to suit his wishes. 

At the end if the day we see all these available players and dream about getting them on our club but it’s just not that black and white.

Heck Linus Ullmark just nixed a trade to LA. Players have their reasons and we aren’t privy to them.

So can we quit acting like we lost out on every single trade?

I would have liked more depth but as it’s been said our trade dead line moves were made much sooner than all the rest.

Lets appreciate the hard work that HAS went into this season. We traded out redundant players ie: kuz and beau…upgraded on a prime right handed C. Added size to our back end through free agency and trade. And even added depth to our D by bringing in Friedman, he’s been great for us as a spare D.

They are also sending loud signals to the young guns on the farm that they are ready to call them up and trust them in their line up come playoffs. This is a huge motivation for all our young guys.

Podz, Bains, Karlsson have proven the can fill the gaps in between and keep their heads above water in the NHL.

Why waste this talent, we are seeing the next wave of cost controlled Canucks enter into their primes and all of then are on affordable contracts so the team doesn’t get dismantled 2 years from now.

Our window is just opening and we retained our youth to keep that window open for 5 plus years. Great asset management.

We will make noise come playoffs. It will be great for our current core. This is just the beginning.

I wouldn't go so far to call it "GREAT" asset management because JR traded away 7 of our picks over the next 3 years (after he came in here saying he'd never do that !) including a 1st, 2nd, 3rd-or-4th and a 5th this year essentially wiping out any restocking this post season - but I will say he did well NOT to give up any of our very few half dozen or so possible/potential rookie/prospects, that might amount to something one day if we're lucky.  We have so few of them that it would have been a travesty if we had thrown any more of them away for a p/t rental.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

Our window is JT's window, not that long. That's behind my choice to go all in.

If you're an EP believer, you might think otherwise.

Yeah I get the thought process here and makes sense why you want them to go all in now for 2-3 years while JT is in his prime. 

But I'm definitely in the camp of EP and Hughes are the main pieces of the core and the window is with them. And to me that window has just begun. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Think JR/PA decided to stand pat since the team has not performed that well since the all star break. They probably feel that it wasn’t worth going any further in than they already are.

I’d say they were ready to add because of how we’ve played since the ASB, but this recent stretch of games calmed that urge, as the team seems to have found its form and structure. 

Cliche, but we’ve got 2 acquisitions in Joshua and Myers before the playoffs start. 

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

Then Kessel simply wouldn't have been brought in; he is a known commodity for all involved.

I am very surprised he wasn't actually signed unless his wage expectations exceeded PAs offer; once again, something that was surely talked about prior to him coming to Abby. At the very least, he could have served as a coach in the press box for the team for ~$200k. Just strange all around.

Not quite. Sure he's known, absolutely, but they still had to take the unknown into account and made him work out and was projected to get in games with Abby. 

My guess is money as well. 

• Cheers 1

I find it amusing how the opinions have changed once our team showed they are in contention this season.  Our team has already made the moves to compete.  It just wasn't done at the trade deadline so a select few are up in arms.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Think JR/PA decided to stand pat since the team has not performed that well since the all star break. They probably feel that it wasn’t worth going any further in than they already are.

Complete opposite.

I think they were prepared to do something but the last three games showed that this team can play the way you need to win in the playoffs.

Im sure they would have added a player like Guentzel if the price was right but clearly they didn’t feel pressure to do anything. This team has all the pieces you need.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

I wouldn't go so far to call it "GREAT" asset management because JR traded away 7 of our picks over the next 3 years including a 1st, 2nd, 3rd-or-4th and a 5th this year essentially wiping out any restocking this post season - but I will say he did well NOT to up our very few half dozen or so possible/potential rookie/prospects that might amount to something one day.  We have so few of them that it would have been a travesty if we had thrown them away for a rental.

Fair, we have traded picks 

But that current gets exchanged all the time. Our team is no different.

We have more than a handful of young guys really pushing for nhl time. 

(Excuse my spelling lol) Lekkermaki, D Petey, Podz, Willander, Raty (who i’m very high on), Bains, Karlsson, Sasson, plus many more are all starting to knock on the door.

Any one of these guys could turn into some much more than we think currently.

We have a solid young core, we don’t need much expensive top end talent, we need supporting players to assist the core. It’s our biggest need. 

Which is why I think they were comfortable standing pat this year. These aren’t desperate times. Not yet

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Costco put in a complaint on the Canucks. They overstocked their hot dogs for no reason.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

As a group

Fair enough. Then what would a few players today do? You think it will make them a non Cinderella team? 

The 94 team was a Cinderella run.  Third worst record of the playoffs teams with 85 pts.   Got lucky in round 1 down 3-1 to div champ Flames.  They are the still the only team to date to win a series after being down 3–1 with all three games being won in overtime. 

Then lost to president trophy in SCF, after being down 3-1 too.   It's still a beloved team after all these yrs.  Some even think it's better than the 2011 president trophy team.  But it didn't do much after that.  Hence a true Cinderella run. 

I think the management did the right thing today after considering all the asks.   They see a 3-4yr window with this core and upcoming prospects.  They will have lot of cap space next summer to re-sign or get new players.   

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Speaking of Toffoli, we already traded a 2nd round pick for him plus the legendary Tyler Madden to have him as a rental in 2020. So it would have been pretty funny to trade a 2nd and a 3rd pick again to get him for a rental one more time. 

Imagine the crying when he walked, again, during the off season... 😳

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true in a way. Less pressure I would say not no pressure. Petey and Miller are locked up so we have our 1-2 punch for 6 more years. Quinn is our captain and now that the boys are staying together he probably sticks around long term. Demko was drafted and developed by Vancouver, so no reason for him to bail either. Boeser probably takes a discount to hang with the boys for a few more years. 

So, our window is probably going to be several years now. Especially given the fact that we kept all of our top prospects. Which will help us to be cap compliant for several more years. 

This is exactly what I was thinking, you still need futures no matter where you are in the standings. We have never been this good with actual prospects before. I’m happy they prioritize the future. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

Fair enough. Then what would a few players today do? You think it will make them a non Cinderella team? 

The 94 team was a Cinderella run.  Third worst record of the playoffs teams with 85 pts.   Got lucky in round 1 down 3-1 to div champ Flames.  They are the still the only team to date to win a series after being down 3–1 with all three games being won in overtime. 

Then lost to president trophy in SCF, after being down 3-1 too.   It's still a beloved team after all these yrs.  Some even think it's better than the 2011 president trophy team.  But it didn't do much after that.  Hence a true Cinderella run. 

I think the management did the right thing today after considering all the asks.   They see a 3-4yr window with this core and upcoming prospects.  They will have lot of cap space next summer to re-sign or get new players.   

No, I dont think so.  I didn't want deals today, it went exactly as id hoped

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Fair, we have traded picks 

But that current gets exchanged all the time. Our team is no different.

We have more than a handful of young guys really pushing for nhl time. 

(Excuse my spelling lol) Lekkermaki, D Petey, Podz, Willander, Raty (who i’m very high on), Bains, Karlsson, Sasson, plus many more are all starting to knock on the door.

Any one of these guys could turn into some much more than we think currently.

We have a solid young core, we don’t need much expensive top end talent, we need supporting players to assist the core. It’s our biggest need. 

Which is why I think they were comfortable standing pat this year. These aren’t desperate times. Not yet

Three things need to be considered here; we have guys coming up...said guys will be cheap....we have a great core to help them along. This is why we will be able to extend Hronek, Lindholm, and Zad. GOOD teams that consistently win year in and out need a mix of young and older guys to balance the cap. 

• Upvote 2