[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If our window is limited to what remains of Miller's prime than management won't be doing a good job going forward. 

I would add QH and Demko at their current contracts, which is a steal.  Not sure if they both get re-signed when the time comes. 

Teams seemingly have turned their back to the Canucks, and were not willing to negotiate with this management at a time where deals happen with some ease. So management turns around and says they’re happy to stand Pat. But we know it’s not cause they wanted to, rather cause they had to. Either way that is not a good sign for the near future of this team and it’s trade targets. 

the inability to make a depth trade that wouldn’t have cost any « untouchables » is extremely alarming. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

I would add QH and Demko at their current contracts, which is a steal.  Not sure if they both get re-signed when the time comes. 

I'd imagine Hughes does, but his brothers are a wildcard draw 

Demko, I think that depends on whether the team can maintain being competitive, I think we'd be his first choice if we do 

If Miller ages poorly management will have to find a way to address it, that's what they signed up for, but we've got some good prime aged pieces that should act as engines going forward 

1 minute ago, Pinot Noir said:

Teams seemingly have turned their back to the Canucks, and were not willing to negotiate with this management at a time where deals happen with some ease. So management turns around and says they’re happy to stand Pat. But we know it’s not cause they wanted to, rather cause they had to. Either way that is not a good sign for the near future of this team and it’s trade targets. 

the inability to make a depth trade that wouldn’t have cost any « untouchables » is extremely alarming. 

And yet the same teams didn't have a problem bending over backwards for Vegas. 

3 minutes ago, Pinot Noir said:

Wake Up Wow GIF by Offline Granny!

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Three things need to be considered here; we have guys coming up...said guys will be cheap....we have a great core to help them along. This is why we will be able to extend Hronek, Lindholm, and Zad. GOOD teams that consistently win year in and out need a mix of young and older guys to balance the cap. 

I agree, I think we can hold onto this entire team this offseason without trading too much away.

Heck even Mik has been coming around recently. Wouldn’t that be a huge win for us if he’s finally almost fully recovered. 

That’s a big add to our team if he starts playing like the top 9 winger he is

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Reg said:

Attila Umbrus said it very well above. "Our window is just opening and we retained our youth to keep that window open for 5 plus years. Great asset management.

We will make noise come playoffs. It will be great for our current core. This is just the beginning!"  for the Canucks!

Ooooh about that......in two years time we have Petey and OEL will have a combined cap hit of $16,366,000 currently their combined cap hit is $7,496,000 and Demko's contract is up in 2026-27. Clocks a tickin, window is currently open. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We do have a half dozen potential prospects in the pool but NONE of them have proven to be Top NHL players other than on paper - so far.     Don't count chickens until they've hatched!

I hope one of them breaks out as a star, but so far the only players out of that group you mentioned none have made any substantial impact at the NHL level.     Fingers crossed we have at least one "real winner' out the bunch but missing out on an entire year of drafting - like this year looks to be - will not help us down the road.

Youre making me feel old or forgetful, not sure which. Because Horvat, Demko, Boeser, Petterson, Hughes were all drafted & home grown.

to not consider Lekker, Willinger, Podz, Hogz grow up to be "Stars" is short sighted

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I’ll take well rounded over top heavy any day.

Vegas and Colorado just sold their soles to try and win another cup.

Good on them. But it doesn’t mean it will work. Just because you stack your team doesn’t mean all the pieces will fit. It’s still a shot in the dark.

Team chemistry wins cups in my opinion.

Soles or souls ? LOL, both statements are true btw...

• Haha 2

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Ooooh about that......in two years time we have Petey and OEL will have a combined cap hit of $16,366,000 currently their combined cap hit is $7,496,000 and Demko's contract is up in 2026-27. Clocks a tickin. 

Demko will get a raise, but nothing too significant.......goalies aren't normally highly paid.  Obviously Hughes is a different story

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ooooh about that......in two years time we have Petey and OEL will have a combined cap hit of $16,366,000 currently their combined cap hit is $7,496,000 and Demko's contract is up in 2026-27. Clocks a tickin, window is currently open. 

And if the salary cap keeps going up at a steady rate then that will essentially cancel the Hughes/Demko raises out. 

11 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Whoops lol, i’m not the best “typer” on my phone. Fat finger shit all the time lol

no explanation needed, I almost whip my phone at the wall while trying to post here most days. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ooooh about that......in two years time we have Petey and OEL will have a combined cap hit of $16,366,000 currently their combined cap hit is $7,496,000 and Demko's contract is up in 2026-27. Clocks a tickin. 

Petey is 25 and Hughes is 24. This is definitely just the beginning of the Canucks trying to be regular contenders. 

They'll have to manage 2 seasons of the worst part of OEL's cap hit, then it drops back down to 2 million for another 2 years. 

Not great, but they are stuck with it and the helpful part is EP, Hughes and Miller are all signed through the toughest years, then when it drops down from $4.7 Hughes is up for his next deal. 

Oh and they'll likely need to trade Demko in 25/26 because he'll be looking for his final big deal and I'm guessing that starts at $8 million with a 7 year term. At that point I'm sure they are planning on having their next (more affordable) goalie coming in/moving up from backup to starter. 

Edited by Bobby James

3 hours ago, Pinot Noir said:

What a disappointment. Spend too much time going after gugentzel. Eggs in one basket they forgot they had other options. 

total failure. 

You have no idea how much time was actually spent going after JG and how much time was spent going after other players. 

If you were privy to how things actually unfolded, you’d probably be less disappointed. We’ll see how it all plays out.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

First time I'm ecstatic that we did nothing. 

Love Allvin's logic - keep our young players who will fill in roster spots in the immediate future. We're going to need those cheap contracts to maintain sustainable success. 

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Last thing I want to end up is like the Leafs who get capped out every season trying to achieve success with short-sighted "all eggs in one basket moves."

I'd rather have this team stay on course with their long-term vision. Rutherford himself said he's surprised the team has progressed so fast, but he's not letting that change plans and give up the future to go all-in at the deadline. 

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I just do not like how Vegas again has so much cap room with injured players and picked up three pieces.

When the rest are healthy they have to make a rule that you can't be 5 mill over the cap in playoffs.

Vegas and Tampa hav done it for years now and to me it's not right.

LTIR is there to help you replace a player that is injured long term.  The rule should be that once the injured player suits up again, that acquired replacement player has to sit.  Playoffs or no playoffs.  This is the thing that has to be tightened.  Not sure how closely the league investigates these injuries, but I wouldn’t trust the league to treat all teams fairly and equally.  This is especially egregious if the LTIR happens near the end of the season before the TDL allowing the team to play the so called injured player for most of the season.  Something like a back strain is difficult to diagnose and prove.  Dishonest teams have no problem exploiting this.

• Upvote 1