[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

43 minutes ago, Dom said:

Posted in another thread, but felt it could go here too. 

The only thing I wish we could have added is a RW for EP40. With that being said, I am going to write my thoughts here. This may be a little bit of a read, but hey that's what the forum is for. This took me A LOT of time to think about, and put on ' paper '. A huge difference from my normal ' bandwagon ' takes that most of you love 😜

I do think this team can go on a run, especially if a few things come to fruition.

1. Ilya Mikheyev. I have been a huge doubter of this man, I'll be the first to admit that. However, his last 2 games have been fantastic, and if he can find his scoring touch, the line of Mik-Miller-Boeser is going to be a nightmare for teams to deal with. Not only could they be an offensive threat, but also a defensive threat. Mikheyev has unreal defensive capabilities, along with Miller. 

2. Lindholm finds his offensive touch - with Joshua set to comeback within 2 weeks time, the line of Joshua-Lindholm-Garland could be unstoppable. Joshua & Garland have shown chemistry that is godlike, and if Lindholm can set them up, watch out!! This line can also be DOMINANT defensively!!! Lindholm a former selke nominee, and Joshua showing this year that he is a defensive beast as well! 

3. The powerplay. We have 21 days at home, with LOTS of time to practice. If this powerplay gets going, this team will be very very hard to beat, and they have shown that they already are, when they play their game.

4. Podkolzin. If Podkolzin can show more offensive touch as well, maybe he gets a look beside Hoglander & Petey. Which then in turn sends Suter to the 4th line... and god damn, the 4th line of Suter-Blueger-Lafferty seems like it would be a PAIN in the ASS to deal with for other 4th lines!

Yes, it is a bit of a stretch to say all of these things will happen, but hey even if 2/4 happen.... that's a hard team to go against. 

& just as an added bonus.. the defense that has 3 monsters standing 6'5 and weighing 210+ probably leaves the other team thinking twice in a 7 game series. 

Rant over. Enjoy! 

1. Boeser is no slouch either

2-4. And bonus - totally agree.

GCG!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, GothamGhost said:

Kessel was basically free, what happened?

36, hasn't played in nearing a year, the guys won cups time to hang em up. The fact he didn't play a game past the 1st round... That should say it all. He's just not quick enough. 

There is the narrative that the Canucks did not lose to the Bruins in 2011; the Canucks lost to injuries.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/735243-2011-stanley-cup-finals-injuries-too-much-to-overcome-for-the-canucks

Mikael Samuelsson - lost to sports hermia in game 3 against the Predators

Christopher Higgins played with a presumably broken foot.

Christian Ehrhoff - injured shoulder require offseason surgery to correct their ailments.  Both he and Higgins required offseason surgery.

Ryan Kesler reportedly played with both a groin tear and hip labrum 

Dan Hamhuis tore his groin muscle in the finals

Mason Raymond lost to vertebrae compression fracture

Alex Edler broke two fingers in game two, played 26:20 in game 7

Andrew Alberts was also rumoured to have been injured in Game 6 

Sami Salo probably had a groin injury.

At the same there had been no reported serious injuries on the side of the Bruins.

A lot of our players played through injury in 2011, but couldn't be effective enough.  With memories like these, It makes sense that fans would want reinforcements at the deadline, but you can only carry so many active roster players.  Giving up the farm, players trained in playing Canucks style hockey, doesn't make sense either.  

The current squad has proven to be resilient against injuries.  Are we due?  Maybe.  Maybe not and this is our year.  We all know it will be super tough to get through the powerhouse west to the finals, but 4th time lucky and our best players and our best role players get through the finals relatively injury free. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I could be wrong but I think we shouldve atleast mortgage 1 of our top prospect to get the player that will make us go over the top. If I remember correctly, we couldnt give the Sedins the proper high end winger because we dont want to mortgage the future. We gave them Pyatt, Bernier, Kassian etc. What about when the time Lekk and Willander comes? Will we be able to get them the player/s they need to go over the top? Or no because of future?

• Cheers 1

If you believe in the core, ironically, I think you need to be happy we didn’t move any prospects today.  

Those are the pieces that will keep the window open the next few years.  We‘re going to lose some support pieces.  We need the AHL / SHL or whatnot guys to step up. 

I like the idea of going for it this year, but even a guy like Pods could bring a lot to the table vs some of the names traded today.  

Are we a Tyler Toffoli away from a cup?  Is anyone? I’m still excited for the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Pinot Noir said:

why wasn’t Joshua who is out 3 weeks+  placed on Ltir for cap space to give us more wiggle room? 

He’s going to be back before the playoffs.

51 minutes ago, ice_eight said:

I could be wrong but I think we shouldve atleast mortgage 1 of our top prospect to get the player that will make us go over the top. If I remember correctly, we couldnt give the Sedins the proper high end winger because we dont want to mortgage the future. We gave them Pyatt, Bernier, Kassian etc. What about when the time Lekk and Willander comes? Will we be able to get them the player/s they need to go over the top? Or no because of future?

Again, we didn’t have the cap to just do picks and/or prospects. A current roster player would have to go in the trade. They obviously couldn’t make that work with the sellers.

5 minutes ago, Pinot Noir said:

But there are no over cap implications after the deadline

if that were the case every team in contention would have tried to outbid each other. You are thinking of the start of the playoffs.  That’s when cheaters like Vegas activate the supposedly injured players from LTIR.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-salary-cap-rules-explained/x1wwiew656afzelhsx4tnecz#:~:text=That's not how it goes,cannot be recalled in time.

Does the NHL have a hard cap?

Yes, at no point in the regular season can a team go over the cap

Leagues like the NBA have a salary cap, but also allow teams to go and then pay a luxury tax penalty. That's not how it goes in the NHL. No teams can go over the limit, resulting in teams at times having to play shorthanded if injuries/illness occur and a player suitable to fit under the cap cannot be recalled in time. 

Edited by Captkirk888
  • Cheers 1