[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

I am still a little disappointed they didn't add a bit more, obviously they were in on the big names but just couldn't make it work. Seems like they didn't want to sacrifice the assets for Guentzel (rightly, imo) and the cap + WPG having a high 2nd from MTL kinda screwed them on Toffoli. So I do understand.

Part of the disappointment is just the realization that we have alot of UFA's that won't be back, we'll have to get choosey, so its an opportunity cost thing. That said looking at CapFriendly & projecting for next season....

We're projected to have a little over 25.5M in space, say we sign;

Hronek @ 7M

Joshua @ 3M

Tanev @ 4.5M

Zadorov @ 4M

Say you bring back RFA's Podkolzin (925k) & Silovs (786k) at their current caphit. We're looking at;

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - ????

Joshua - Suter/?? - Garland

Suter/?? - Aman - Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Tanev

Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

This lineup leaves us with a little over 7.8M in space.

That said, maybe you could shave an additional 1M off if you get Hronek + Tanev to each take a little less. (maybe you offer more term)

-----

So 7.8-9M to play with, that should get you atleast 1 really good forward. Personally I'd wonder what you could do to bring Lindholm back as having another C like that adds so much, & I think he has more to give here. He's 29 so JT's deal could be instructive in terms of an internal limit - I don't think you'd go to 8M long term but something from 6-7.5M depending on term.. idk, its risky but if our window is the next 4 years.. he certainly helps. Will be interesting to see his contract prospects given his poorish season. 

He wouldn't get the most money here but if you get him / Hronek / Tanev to take a little less, maybe that means Blueger can come back too. Then you see where Podkolzin / Mikheyev are at as far as being top 6 forwards, if Mik can't bounce back you move off him & add a better scoring FWD.

Alot of hoping here, obviously hard to convince everyone to take less, but the point is I suppose there's still plenty of opportunity moving forward especially with Lekkerimaki / Willander / D-Petey as X-factors. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

6 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I'm perfectly fine with them standing pat.

You can mess with team chemistry and timing so the fit has to be right...especially at this point in the season as you're heading into the stretch. 

I'm glad they killed the Phil idea.

Was sad to see Toffoli go to Winnipeg but "it is what it is". We'll be fine without him (just really like him as a team player).

Yeah I think the only thing that would worry me about Toffoli is that he's historically been a Canuck killer when not on the team, so for Winnipeg to get him... that stings a little. lol

But overall, I'm glad they're not just making trades for the sake of making trades. Arguably, our trade deadline happened throughout the season rather than actually at the trade deadline.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, canucks curse said:

could it be that in offseason we will have cap flexibility?

cap friendly says we have 25.5 in cap space in offseason

IM (4.75) - Petey- Hogz

Suter- Miller - Brock 

Joshua (3) Bluegger (2.75) Garland (5)

Podz - Aman - PDG

QH FH (7.25)

CS  Tanev (3)

Zads (4) Juulsen

5.5 = cap space left for a no. 7 d man, back up goalie and 13th F

now move garland and Milky in offseason and you have an additional 9.75 essentially. You can resign Lindholm, or take a run at Reinhardt ?

Garland could be moveable to Chicago or Anaheim for a late pick with no retention 

I say we wait and see what other players sign for. A lot of people thought Pettersson would be paid more than he signed for. If other players end up doing the same, that adds up. Not saying I expect this to happen necessarily but it's possible. Myers is also a significant chunk of change freed up.

But who knows at this point. We might be able to sign more players than we think.

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I am still a little disappointed they didn't add a bit more, obviously they were in on the big names but just couldn't make it work. Seems like they didn't want to sacrifice the assets for Guentzel (rightly, imo) and the cap + WPG having a high 2nd from MTL kinda screwed them on Toffoli. So I do understand.

Part of the disappointment is just the realization that we have alot of UFA's that won't be back, we'll have to get choosey, so its an opportunity cost thing. That said looking at CapFriendly & projecting for next season....

Hronek @ 7M

Joshua @ 3M

Tanev @ 4.5M

Zadorov @ 4M

Say you bring back RFA's Podkolzin (925k) & Silovs (786k) at their current caphit. We're looking at;

PDG

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Tanev

Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

That said, maybe you could shave an additional 1M off if you get Hronek + Tanev to each take a little less. (maybe you offer more term)

-----

So 7.8-9M to play with, that should get you atleast 1 really good forward. Personally I'd wonder what you could do to bring Lindholm back as having another C like that adds so much, & I think he has more to give here. He's 29 so JT's deal could be instructive in terms of an internal limit - I don't think you'd go to 8M long term but something from 6-7.5M depending on term.. idk, its risky but if our window is the next 4 years.. he certainly helps. Will be interesting to see his contract prospects given his poorish season. 

He wouldn't get the most money here but if you get him / Hronek / Tanev to take a little less, maybe that means Blueger can come back too. Then you see where Podkolzin / Mikheyev are at as far as being top 6 forwards, if Mik can't bounce back you move off him & add a better scoring FWD.

Alot of hoping here, obviously hard to convince everyone to take less, but the point is I suppose there's still plenty of opportunity moving forward especially with Lekkerimaki / Willander / D-Petey as X-factors. 

what about the OEL salary that we carry on ?

Edited by DexM94

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hronek @ 7M

Joshua @ 3M

Tanev @ 4.5M

Zadorov @ 4M

PDG

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Tanev

Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

-----

Bertuzzi and Roy.

Hoglander - Pettersson- Bertuzzi

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Giuseppe - Aman - Podkolzin

Bains

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Roy

Zadorov - Juulsen

Hirose - Woo

Demko

Silovs

We can upgrade the 7th defencemen and 4th line at the trade deadline.

5 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Bertuzzi and Roy.

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Bains

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Roy

Zadorov - Juulsen

Hirose - Woo

Demko

Silovs

If Lekkerimaki is component defensively I don't think he is far off from joining the team full time.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

If Lekkerimaki is component defensively I don't think he is far off from joining the team full time.

That would be even better. I would still try and sign Bertuzzi and Roy though.

We can honestly have an even better team next season, especially if Mikheyev can return back to his Toronto days.

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Bertuzzi and Roy.

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Bains

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Roy

Zadorov - Juulsen

Hirose - Woo

Demko

Silovs

I think Myers is cheaper than both your replacement options, Roy and Tanev.

Tanev has alot of miles on him now, and not the same guy we know.

Myers is being coached and he can handle the minutes.

If we are overpaying Hronek like that I think he is a huge trade piece, and Bertuzzi is no Todd Bertuzzi, just saying. Lindholm is the best UFA out of the list, Joshua would take less than 3mil to sign, Podz would maybe do 1.25 over 5 years. Desmith is still needed next year. You guys are over pricing Zaderov, I love they guy but he would sign for the Cole money on term.

I was mad nothing happened, but then I realized I was mainly hungry from listening to all the AJs pizza talk. So I ordered pizza when I got home from work and was much better.

That said my disappointment with not doing anything in order to prioritize the future seasons stems from the worry of the fact that future years can be derailed by a few injuries to Hughes/Demko/Petey/JT. At 65 games this year you are in the home stretch and a top 5 team, next season starts back at 0 games and a lot can happen.

I just don't want to waste any of the 3 years with Hughes and Demko so cheap, and JT still young. 

For those upset that JR and PA ‘did nothing’, remember they made 6 trades in 5 months when the season began, more trades than any team in the NHL. The speed of the team’s turn-around has been stunning. Add in the Zads and Lindholm trades and I don’t see how folks can complain that they stood pat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I dont know if this has been talked about in here....How did Vegas get SJ to give them 2 third round picks and retention on 6 years of Hertl's salary on top of that!   I think Grier/SJ  is now paying retention on 3 players (Karlsson, Hertl, and Brent Burns!! if im not mistaken).   i wonder if he even shopped Hertl around as this trade was on nobody's radar it seems.

I hate vegas but they have shrewd management who know how to game the system.  They have made me rethink the concept of team building.  Instead of drafting and developing players use those picks as currency to acquire known entities.  

For instance, stop thinking of Lekkerimaki as a blue chipper that *hopefully* comes in one day and can be a top 6 scorer. The player is currency.  Package him up with a pick to get a known impact player now.  Unload all your first rounders year after year to keep shopping impact players.  Why wait around for 5 or 6 years hoping these guys will develop when you just go buy a finished product with a currency that is replenished year after year (draft picks)

I know it s a little more complicated than that (with their cap manipulation and original stock of picks that were from the expansion draft) but thats the crux of what they are doing.

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

I dont know if this has been talked about in here....How did Vegas get SJ to give them 2 third round picks and retention on 6 years of Hertl's salary on top of that!   I think Grier/SJ  is now paying retention on 3 players (Karlsson, Hertl, and Brent Burns!! if im not mistaken).   i wonder if he even shopped Hertl around as this trade was on nobody's radar it seems.

I hate vegas but they have shrewd management who know how to game the system.  They have made me rethink the concept of team building.  Instead of drafting and developing players use those picks as currency to acquire known entities.  

For instance, stop thinking of Lekkerimaki as a blue chipper that *hopefully* comes in one day and can be a top 6 scorer. The player is currency.  Package him up with a pick to get a known impact player now.  Unload all your first rounders year after year to keep shopping impact players.  Why wait around for 5 or 6 years hoping these guys will develop when you just go buy a finished product with a currency that is replenished year after year (draft picks)

I know it s a little more complicated than that (with their cap manipulation and original stock of picks that were from the expansion draft) but thats the crux of what they are doing.

Vegas is in for a long rebuild at some point with this strategy.

They got their cup though so worth it for them.

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Vegas is in for a long rebuild at some point with this strategy.

They got their cup though so worth it for them.

Exactly.  They're a "one and done"

JR/PA are building a dynasty 

38 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

For those upset that JR and PA ‘did nothing’, remember they made 6 trades in 5 months when the season began, more trades than any team in the NHL. The speed of the team’s turn-around has been stunning. Add in the Zads and Lindholm trades and I don’t see how folks can complain that they stood pat.

The moves they made were well thought out I believe. Glad they didn't do anything at the deadline just because everyone else was. That's when you make mistakes. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hronek @ 7M

Joshua @ 3M

Tanev @ 4.5M

Zadorov @ 4M

PDG

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Tanev

Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

-----

My biggest disappointment was not out bidding the Avs on Trenin. Beyond a running mate for Pettersson, he's EXACTLY what we need more of in our bottom 6. Hell, he probably could have been situationally used on Pettersson's wing with Lindholm or Hoglander too.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hronek @ 7M

Joshua @ 3M

Tanev @ 4.5M

Zadorov @ 4M

PDG

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Tanev

Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

-----

I think you gotta bring Blueger back, and he fits with Garland and Joshua. 

Tanev is a luxury to have, but I'm not sure if we absolutely need him. He is 34, about to turn 35. How much term are you going to give the guy, especially with the way he plays on defense? I'd be worried about his longevity even at his age, might not get through whatever short term deal he gets. 

I also don't know if Silovs is ready to be an NHL back up yet. Might have to bring DeSmith back for one more year, and let Silovs cook. 

What about Lafferty? I like the guy. He's a good depth forward, if we can bring him back for cheap, I'd be down for that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

My biggest disappointment was not out bidding the Avs on Trenin. Beyond a running mate for Pettersson, he's EXACTLY what we need more of in our bottom 6. Hell, he probably could have been situationally used on Pettersson's wing with Lindholm or Hoglander too.

Yeah I've liked Trenin for awhile too. That was a good pickup for Colorado

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hronek @ 7M

Joshua @ 3M

Tanev @ 4.5M

Zadorov @ 4M

PDG

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Tanev

Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

-----

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

Bertuzzi and Roy.

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Bains

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Roy

Zadorov - Juulsen

Hirose - Woo

Demko

Silovs

I why do we not re-sign Blueger?

Just read an article in the province that Allvin couldn't "swing for the fences" at the deadline because the Tucker Poolman contract used up almost all of our LTIR money, so cap was tighter than most. We don't have the luxury of having extra lti money like Vegas does.

Thanks again Jimbo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

Just read an article in the province that Allvin couldn't "swing for the fences" at the deadline because the Tucker Poolman contract used up almost all of our LTIR money, so cap was tighter than most. We don't have the luxury of having extra lti money like Vegas does.

Thanks again Jimbo

This. We had 1.1mil of cap space. PA said in the post trade presser that any deal they made would have to include an equivalent salaried roster player back to the seller. As we saw, the top guys mostly went for a plethora of picks and/or prospects.