[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

31 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I'm getting this feeling that JR/Allvin might run out of time, spending so much time on the Guentzel deal. (well, as far as we know) 

Will they actually do something? Or will they say they made their big move by trading for Lindholm in January? The Canucks could also sign Phil, sounds like that could happen. I like new players, but I wonder if what they have will be good enough this year? The Canucks weren't expected to do anything, but it looks like we're finally going to see playoffs. Maybe just getting in and seeing what happens is fine for this year. They've been at the top of the standings all year, it could still be a special playoffs. I really don't like giving up 1sts and high end prospects. 

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Pettersson - Lindholm - Mikheyev

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Lafferty - Suter - Kessel

Podkolzin

And that’s fine, the team

has gotten to where they are with the horses we’ve got. Adding some more power would be nice, but they have made 2 big moves already and no need to overpay and gut the prospect pool (which is only just finally getting decent again) for a rental. Totally trust JR and PA to do what’s best here. I’m just looking forward to PO hockey again and to see how these guys do. Out in first would be disappointing, but it’s still progress and valuable experience. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how things evolve in Calgary. Very well written response but I don't think he was as bad as you make him out to be. I don't think RT's problem with him was all on the ice, Hughes said he was a happy go lucky guy, does Rick seem happy go lucky or someone who would see that type in a positive light? I think he was super well liked in the room and provided an intangible there.....chemistry is a real thing.  Is it just total coincidence that the team slumped after he was traded...maybe...maybe not....what's done is done but I don't have to agree with it.

I digress.... I hope we can add some pieces to get things moving again and I have no problem if they flip Lindholm.

I agree with you that Kuzy is not a bad player, but I just don't think he was right for this team. I won't comment on RT's likeness for certain personalities because I just don't know him. What people present in media can often be a misrepresentation on who they really are. 

Back to Kuzy, I think that one way style goal scorer can work for certain teams (maybe even in Calgary). For that style to be successful I think you need to have a really solid D core that can play physical make up for D zone coverage breakdowns. Simply put, that description does not fit the description of the Van defense. I think what Tocchet and Foote recognized is that for Van to win, we had to strengthen our team defense and create easy, high percentage passes coming out of our own zone so we could use our transition game more affectively. Sure Hughes can make those tough outlet passes, but can Meyers? Juulsen? Hronek? Soucy? and now Zad? 

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I still think the Devils find a way to extend him

I could be mistaken, but wasn’t Toffoli one of the players who wanted to stay in the west? I thought he said hi preference was to be on the west coast specifically, so could see him wanting to go to FA to sign in the west. Or maybe that’s just my wishful thinking

Just now, arsenalian said:

I could be mistaken, but wasn’t Toffoli one of the players who wanted to stay in the west? I thought he said hi preference was to be on the west coast specifically, so could see him wanting to go to FA to sign in the west. Or maybe that’s just my wishful thinking

Dunno, but after bouncing around I could see him wanting some stability 

He fits well in Jersey and helps stabilize their offense, that likely makes both sides happy, Devils should also realistically be a playoff team most years if they stay healthy, give them a healthy Hamilton this season and they're likely in a playoff spot

Not a bad team to stick with

51 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Edmundson does not move the needle whatsoever for TO. He’s a bottom pairing dman, who isn’t overly physical. Good veteran guy with cup experience though. 

Yeah I'd agree, Edmundson probably isn't much more than a #5 at this stage. But the Canucks don't even need that. If they could add a #6/7 type guy for depth, so your 8th guy isn't Friedman, I think your happy.

And given Edmundson went for a pair of so-so picks, maybe you can get a depth guy for a 4th/5th type thing. 

42 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

Since we've been so linked to Pittsburgh, Marcus Petterson is UFA after next season and cap hit is 4.025M (maybe we get Pitts/3rd party to retain). Same deal for Adam Larsson or William Borgen out of Seattle, at lower caps.

As for guys that are UFA this year and teams that have begun to look at selling some, there's Zaitsev in Chicago (which I wouldn't be interested in...), Dumba in ARI, Erik Johnson in Buffalo who I believe was held out for trade reasons yesterday. Pickings are getting slim, which is why I'm looking more at guys that are UFA after next year. I'd be more interested in shoring up that depth longer term.

Adam Larsson is a totally different category, has another year left IIRC at a very good value deal. I think that would cost a premium especially given SEA is in the playoff race.

I'm thinking more a 6/7 guy for depth alongside Juulsen, maybe Erik Johnson could fit that, being a RHS doesn't hurt. 

10 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

I agree with you that Kuzy is not a bad player, but I just don't think he was right for this team. I won't comment on RT's likeness for certain personalities because I just don't know him. What people present in media can often be a misrepresentation on who they really are. 

Back to Kuzy, I think that one way style goal scorer can work for certain teams (maybe even in Calgary). For that style to be successful I think you need to have a really solid D core that can play physical make up for D zone coverage breakdowns. Simply put, that description does not fit the description of the Van defense. I think what Tocchet and Foote recognized is that for Van to win, we had to strengthen our team defense and create easy, high percentage passes coming out of our own zone so we could use our transition game more affectively. Sure Hughes can make those tough outlet passes, but can Meyers? Juulsen? Hronek? Soucy? and now Zad? 

I think our d core is pretty solid and also can play physical (except for Huggy who makes up for it other ways). We'll get a good test tonight and that may tell us a not...positively I hope!

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Listening to the Jeff Marek Show right now, Elliotte saying he expects Vancouver to hard after Toffoli (yes!) now that Guentzel is looking unlikely.

I'd take Toff back in a heartbeat, likely a lesser cost & you already know for sure that he fits here.

I would prefer him though Guentzel is probably the better player. Between all these wingers available feel Buchnevich is probably best fit for what we need but the name that comes up the least. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Deadline is tomorrow you know right?

Just cause some teams jumped early doesn’t mean they have to panic.

I'm not in a panic, just antsy lmao

I'd try offering Mikheyev + Karlsson/McDonough/Sasson + 2nd for Toffoli. 

Maybe switch to Raty + 4th if they want someone who will be NHL ready sooner. No roster players or A prospects. I'm not ready to sell the farm too hard yet, but that's just me. Maybe put a condition to upgrade the pick to a 2nd if we say reach the conference finals or something.

Edited by Ralph.

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Listening to the Jeff Marek Show right now, Elliotte saying he expects Vancouver to hard after Toffoli (yes!) now that Guentzel is looking unlikely.

I'd take Toff back in a heartbeat, likely a lesser cost & you already know for sure that he fits here.

Lower cost for an extension too

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wouldn't be a bad add, if he comes cheap.

• Cheers 1