[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

So what? If we play Colorado it's in the West final.  If we get there this year id be just fine with that.

that's assuming you get past vegas.. we are likely to finish 2nd in the conference or 2nd in the division. edmonton will prolly be 2-3 points behind us once they play all their catchup game and the sprint to the finish line edmonton definitely have the inside track to win the division and we get stuck with either LA or vegas in the 1st round that we prolly don't match up well against

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Don’t see the Canucks getting past Colorado. We already can’t beat them without their full lineup missing nush etc etc. now that they have their full lineup plus all their new addition and possibly landeskog back. Ain’t happening unless a miracle happens

They haven’t faced a Kessel led Canucks team yet. :hurhur:

26 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

So Kessel it is.  

Any other additions will be a nice surprise.  

We added Zadorov and Lindholm.  Those are 2 huge adds. 

I expect we'll add a forward. But nothing crazy..

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Months ago, and it's been okay. Zadorov has been good anyway. But this is the TDL, where teams make the changes needed for playoffs. Canucks have not made any improvements lately. Same team that's been 7-6-2 since Lindholm joined. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

Months ago, and it's been okay. Zadorov has been good anyway. But this is the TDL, where teams make the changes needed for playoffs. Canucks have not made any improvements lately. Same team that's been 7-6-2 since Lindholm joined. 

And there’s still tomorrow, right? The sky isn’t failing just yet….

22 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Don’t see the Canucks getting past Colorado. We already can’t beat them without their full lineup missing nush etc etc. now that they have their full lineup plus all their new addition and possibly landeskog back. Ain’t happening unless a miracle happens

Yes, they will be tough but who isn't - just look at all the stacked teams like Edm, Vegas, Stars, Avalanche, Jets and rest of the conference 8 - all the post season teams will present a challenge + sure they say same thing about our team - the best plan for the Canucks is really to strengthen their team D if they can - now with no Guentzel coming - probably best they look at some depth forwards and also some additional physical presence on the bottom 2 lines. 

One thing the Canucks can control is to ensure they don't get overly matched up physically against some of these big western division rivals (as they did against the Flames in their last playoff appearance - who could can forget Ferland and the effect he had on this team) or against the Kings in 2012 when they were the favourites. When all our D are back, its actually a pretty size able group - now just some more tweaking at the forward spots with some additional SIZE.

Just Win.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

that's assuming you get past vegas.. we are likely to finish 2nd in the conference or 2nd in the division. edmonton will prolly be 2-3 points behind us once they play all their catchup game and the sprint to the finish line edmonton definitely have the inside track to win the division and we get stuck with either LA or vegas in the 1st round that we prolly don't match up well against

I'd say the schedules dispute this hot take assumption.

38 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Hey we need a debbie downer icon.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Are Canucks still in on wideman from Montreal? At the rumoured price of a 2025 1st? 

10 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I'm betting LA. 1'st and 4th 50% retained and it's done.

Canucks have a cap space problem.

The rest of the western conference trying to get ready to battle Canucks have a next 5 year plan problem.

18 minutes ago, Screw said:

Not even TDL day and some folks are writing off the Canucks playoff chances.  

Yeah, people just want to be a part of the excitement, think not having finalized deals means inactivity and Post season inability.

I bet there is multiple tabled offers and back and forths going on. Probably have multiple teams on the go as brokers for deals and several frameworks for deals done in Vancouver's pocket, just waiting a green light from a GM or broker or who knows. Fun times.

Could see a Kessel signing or as many as three trades filed by the deadline and wouldn't surprise me.

As it stands the team has the following:

PDG

Aman

Lafferty ?

Mikheyev ?

Friedman ?

Juulsen ?

maybe more as far as depth or upgradeable pieces. Say Kessel takes one of those spots, maybe Lafferty and Juulsen stay put. It still leaves options for multiple roster pieces. Utilizing later picks can help broker deals to get cap issues resolved. 

But say nothing happens and Kessel signs or not, the Canucks are a favorite already, not worried.

28 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

While I agree, but I would not be surprised in the slightest if PA / JR pulled off:

To Van: Sid the Kid (50% retained)

To Pitts: Podz, B-Prospect, 3rd rounder and a slightly used harmonica 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1

A couple of weeks ago, in a conversation with my brother, we sort of agreed that the Canucks would make a deal for another big, nasty defenceman, sign Phil Kessel, proclaim that they are satisfied with the players they have, and call it a day. The avid fan in me says I hope I'm wrong and they land Toffoli or Buchnevich, or Tuch or Crouse. But the fiscal conservative in me reminds me about salary caps, rentals, pending UFAs and upsetting team chemistry by adding someone who might not fit the culture. I will say I am relieved that they didn't give up any of their top prospects or good young players for Jake Guentzel. He could give Vancouver 17 regular season games and however far they get in the playoffs, but the cost to extend him would be such a big number that somebody significant would have to go to make salary room. So if signing Guentzel had cost you Boeser, would you have done it?

Sid isn’t going anywhere and it would cost a lot more than that to pry him out of Pittsburgh. 

Probably 2 first round picks, Höglander, Podkolzin and Willander/Lekkarimaki(maybe both)

• Like 1