[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

33 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

DJ-Lind-Garland will be better. Lindholm is getting a rough ride by the fan base; the guy is not a goal scorer. He had an inflated number of goals playing with JG & MT. He does everything else SO well. Once that line starts to gel (you can see Lind and garland figuring it out), they’ll be great. Garland will just score more goals now as he’ll be getting gifted opportunities like he did Blueger in past. 

I agree that offensively he could work but he doesn't have the grit of blueger. The bluegers were even better shutting teams down than scoring. Worth continuing without joshua but i hope they return to it. 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Raty is 21 and is the best 2 way player in Abby, imo.  He's having a great year

He’d be an Excellent CHEAP 4th line Centre next year if we retain Lindholm. As much as pushing all our chips in would be fun now, I want to win forever. we HAVE to think of the future. In that, I prefer picks vs our prospect depth we finally have.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Unless we put Myers on LTIR right fucking now, we only have $125k in cap space. So something would have to be done to sign Phil or to bring someone else in.

I believe this has already been broken down somewhere else, but the canucks have around $1.1m in space. 

Part of it is if we sign Kessel then we send someone down, so that frees up their league min salary.

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

He’d be an Excellent CHEAP 4th line Centre next year if we retain Lindholm. As much as pushing all our chips in would be fun now, I want to win forever. we HAVE to think of the future. In that, I prefer picks vs our sprospe t depth we finally have.

Yup, they need good, young players on cheap contracts.  I'm amazed how many people are advocating for one shot (which is a longshot imo) followed by another decade of futility.  

3 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I agree that offensively he could work but he doesn't have the grit of blueger. The bluegers were even better shutting teams down than scoring. Worth continuing without joshua but i hope they return to it. 

Lindholm can shut guys down with skill. Blueger on the 4th line solidifies it, and if we acquire a top6 fwd, the 4th line will be stacked, with lots of depth in pressbox. We are a better team running 4 true centers.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Aside from size, I don't get why people like JG.  Everytime I watch him I just shake my head at how ineffective he is 

big body for the 4th line. I was being a little tongue in cheek and treating it like a grocery list... Personally Toffoli is the guy I want. 

8 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I believe this has already been broken down somewhere else, but the canucks have around $1.1m in space. 

Part of it is if we sign Kessel then we send someone down, so that frees up their league min salary.

Fair enough. I was just going with what I saw on capfriendly right then and there.

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

He’d be an Excellent CHEAP 4th line Centre next year if we retain Lindholm. As much as pushing all our chips in would be fun now, I want to win forever. we HAVE to think of the future. In that, I prefer picks vs our sprospe t depth we finally have.

Agreed but its not just next year we will need the cheap fill ins, it will be for the duration of the OEL buy out. I think this is the biggest reason Lekker, Raty, D-Petey & Willander are un touchable. I do think they will be good players but I don't think their skills are what brings the most value to the team in the coming years. We will require cheap skill in the way of ELCs and if we trade them away now we will be forced out of quality veterans down the road. 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Raty is 21 and is the best 2 way player in Abby, imo.  He's having a great year

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He’d be an Excellent CHEAP 4th line Centre next year if we retain Lindholm. As much as pushing all our chips in would be fun now, I want to win forever. we HAVE to think of the future. In that, I prefer picks vs our prospect depth we finally have.

They still have Aman as a cheap 4C for next season. He just signed a 2 yr extension in November. 

In an ideal world I agree you keep Raty, but gotta give to get. There's also a cost in playing it safe given our UFA's & how good our team is. They could do something like 2nd+3rd but your probably pretty depleated in draft picks at that point. 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They still have Aman as a cheap 4C for next season. He just signed a 2 yr extension in November. 

In an ideal world I agree you keep Raty, but gotta give to get. There's also a cost in playing it safe given our UFA's & how good our team is. They could do something like 2nd+3rd but your probably pretty depleated in draft picks at that point. 

I guess it's because I don't think they're a cup team and don't think TT pushes them over that hill........so why trade away your future for a round or two?

Just now, stawns said:

I guess it's because I don't think they're a cup team and don't think TT pushes them over that hill........so why trade away your future for a round or two?

I think they could be a cup team. They have the likely Norris Trophy winner, a Vezina finalist, 3 all-star centers, a great 3rd line, and a monster Dcore. Not often you have all these elements. And we already know Toffoli can play with Pettersson.

Would give us a big boost, makes our top 9 dangerous & versatile. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

so why did we trade for lindholm then?

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I think they could be a cup team. They have the likely Norris Trophy winner, a Vezina finalist, 3 all-star centers, a great 3rd line, and a monster Dcore. Not often you have all these elements. And we already know Toffoli can play with Pettersson.

Would give us a big boost, makes our top 9 dangerous & versatile. 

I don't think they can beat the Oilers, the Avs or the Jets in a 7 game series......maybe not the Kings either. They're not battle hardened for playoff hockey, imo.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

They didn't really give up much for him, do not like they gambled anything significant.

To move on from kuz

To help down the middle 

To keep him out of the west

Insurance policy if Petey didn't sign

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think they can beat the Oilers, the Avs or the Jets in a 7 game series......maybe not the Kings either. They're not battle hardened for playoff hockey, imo.

Might as well break out the clubs hey? 

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Because of clearing cap space for next year, because of creating a plan B if Petey doesn't sign, but also putting some positive pressure on Petey TO sign.

I think the Lindy trade had a lot of different elements to it, one of which was the belief that it would elevate this team to a true contender (yet to be seen), but there were lots of other reasons to make this move.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Jets are the only one with a comparable goaltender, but don't have as much depth. Oilers are effectively a 1 man team - they have other pieces but its all McD. Avs are a formidable opponent I agree but the Canucks depth could be better with a guy like Toffoli.

No ones saying it would be easy but those teams are looking at us as a formidable opponent aswell. 

Just now, Dizzle said:

Might as well break out the clubs hey? 

Why?  They made their move with EL and they'll gain much needed playoff experience.  Go in with this lineup, keep your top prospects, go as far as you can and re-callibrate in the off season.

There are varying degrees of succes, it's not a binary all or nothing situation 

• Like 1