[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What a mess by PA and JR, watching all the teams around us snag top players but also great depth players and we sit pat and do nothing. We really just needed some depth wingers this TDL, there were a bunch out there, and we whiffed on all of them. We paid the highest price this deadline for arguably the worst player.

Teams are build in the off-season and PA did a wonderful job there, but boy did he just get schooled by savvy GMs across the league in how to make a contender.

Lindholm

Zadorov

Laffery

And didn't pay a premium tdl price for any of them.  I'd say it was a good day for the Canucks today

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Imagine Allvin comes out and pulls a Jim Benning

" we ran out of time"

Lol. I could never call JB a moron again if PA inadvertently says that. 

It'll be the "the prices were more than we were willing to pay" ....

10 minutes ago, Dom said:

I'm pretty pissed ngl. Say what you want about already making our moves, but the teams around us are just as good as us with us doing that & they've all improved. 

The teams around us saw that they were way behind us and made terrible trades that will hamster their future.

So you want to trade away all of our great prospects? 

Edited by LillStrimma
  • Thanks 1

I was keen on a high compete, gritty depth FWD but maybe Podz is showing he can be that guy (which is great).  

Surprised Barbanov didnt move at all

It’s seemed all year we have a very solid roster for what we’re paying in cap.  Makes sense that it would be particularly expensive to upgrade. 

I also think our top prospects will be worth a lot more in our system than on a mid-tier rental. 

A little disappointed from an entertainment standpoint but it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What a mess by PA and JR, watching all the teams around us snag top players but also great depth players and we sit pat and do nothing. We really just needed some depth wingers this TDL, there were a bunch out there, and we whiffed on all of them. We paid the highest price this deadline for arguably the worst player.

Teams are build in the off-season and PA did a wonderful job there, but boy did he just get schooled by savvy GMs across the league in how to make a contender.

Do you ever stop and think that most teams don't win a cup in their first run? Even the great Oilers of the 80's didn't do it. Why? Because its a learning process, physically, mentally, etc. This isn't a year to be going all in, it would be stupid, particularly because we would have been giving up our high end prospects or picks for rentals.

By not giving up those additional picks or prospects we keep the window open longer. When Petey's contract kicks, when Demko and Hughes and Hronek are re-upped, we will need cheaper contracts with talent to support that core. You probably complained about Benning's stupidity and now you're crying because our Management team is smart enough not to make those same mistakes. SMH

• Wiener 1

1 minute ago, ngoway said:

I wouldn't go as far as stating it that way. That's really a negative spin on it just based on not making moves for the sake of moves on the deadline. Management made a ton of moves in advance and if they trust the team, I'd rather stay put than just sell off our top prospects in reaction to what the other teams are doing.

This. Another depth piece or two would've been nice but people gotta realize we're gonna need Lekkerimaki, Podkolzin, Raty etc, when OEL's buyout really kicks in. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Tells me the Canucks are doing nothing.

Only concern I have with this is that all the moves that were done earlier (Zadorov, Lafferty, etc). were to get this team competitive against the best in the league.  That mission was accomplished.  HOWEVER... the BEST teams in the league just added to their rosters to make themselves even better.  The key now is to hope Lindholm gets going.  If he doesn't contribute more than just defence, we've likely fallen behind a bit after this TDL.

Very accurate and well spoken assessment.  We all want to see that trade turn into something of value for what appears to presently be a "rental" player - especially after we game the equivalent of FIVE players for him.

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Takes discipline for them not to make a move just to make a move.   

You know the reputation JR has.  They don't sit pat.  So if they didn't do anything, it isn't from lack of trying.  

But considering the moves in off season and during the season, which is the biggest among all 32 teams, they have already added depth to what they need and now have the #1 team in the West, #2 in NHL. 

Team isn't even fully healthy yet.  Still got Myers and Joshua in the bullpen.  

JR didn't do anything on 2001/2002 CAR team at tdl either.

The team went all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals that year.

He made a couple of moves earlier that year and sat still at tdl.. just like this year with Canucks.

As much as it'll suck for the rest of the Pacific, I really like the Hertl deal for San Jose

They're likely gonna be at the bottom for a while, Hertl would just age and depreciate there 

Better to get assets now, the dead cap won't matter because they're a bottom feeder 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dom said:

I'm pretty pissed ngl. Say what you want about already making our moves, but the teams around us are just as good as us with us doing that & they've all improved. 

Did other teams improve?

Who cares what other teams do ? yes trades our exciting. But the Canucks are positioned well.

They also have several big bodies, throw a ton of hits and the defense is intimidating to the opposition.

Heavy center depth is key in playoffs and they have that.

Now you keep the team together and continue to give some of the Abby kids looks and experience.

Canucks are a top of the league dangerous club.

• Like 3

The guys in the room who have done a great job so far deserve to go to bat for each other versus bringing in a rental (other than Phil of course who will make sure there are snacks in the room after each game and overtime intermissions during the playoffs..speed dial on his phone to take out establishments).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AngryGoose said:

I was keen on a high compete, gritty depth FWD but maybe Podz is showing he can be that guy (which is great).  

Surprised Barbanov didnt move at all

And after Podz we got Räty and Karlsson that plays good in AHL.

If we are really desperate due to injuries Lekkerimäki can come in as a cluster bomb and surprise everybody…

• Like 1

Re: LVGK

Cassidy had some interesting PGT last night.  Doesnt think players coming in and out of the line up has been helping.  Basically implied they need a steady line up to gel and het their game together.  

Hopefully they implode!!

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Did you just say Lindholm is the worst player of the group? 😂 

You should really watch the Canucks play in their own end and stop skipping to offensive zone exclusively. 

Lindholm’s been terrific defensively when centering a line. That’s the kind of value he brings to our team. 59% faceoffs, gives us a RHC, who knows how to play in all 3 zones. 

Miller was tasked with Eichel last night and guess what? Lindholm and his line were buzzing all night, creating chances left and right, and potted the insurance goal, created off of Londholm’s defensive IQ and shot. 

Lindholm’s had a revolving door of wingers and hasn’t had the opportunity to build chemistry, and has had almost no practice time, as we’ve been the most road-heavy team all season long. This is why we acquired him early, to cushion the growing pains. 

You can start watching the games again, instead of just the stat sheet. We’re fun to watch again. I know the last 10 years have been brutal but this season is different. Lindholm is a part of that. 

• Like 2