[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I have no issues not making further additions.

The last 3 games you started to see this team come together again and develop chemistry and playing a style that is condusive to winning in the playoffs.

I really hope that they give a long leesh for Podkolzin to grow into a role down the stretch. I feel he will elevate his game for the playoffs.

This is also my hope. He looks like he’s defensively responsible and has a better jump offensively. Would have loved to see him given a shot with miller and Brock 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t say this enough.

I think at one point they may have been looking to move on from Mikheyev to create cap but he’s been making strides the last few games. 

Why pay assets for a top 9 player if he can return to form? He brings everything you need for playoffs. Speed, size, and a strong forecheck. He’s just gotta work on his finish.

And really, it's his defensive acumen that will be most valuable in the post season, and that never dried up.   Even though he's not scoring, he never hurt the team in any way

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Folks here saying they happy we didn’t “Benning it” for rentals. When did we have a team that was first in the division, western conference and at points the entire league under Benning? Time to cash the chips was now. 

Let us know how many teams who haven't been in the playoffs for pretty much a decade (other than the bubble and with a very different group) have won a cup on their first run dude?

If you know anything about hockey, you'd know it takes multiple years of playoffs and knocking on the door of a cup to actually get one...The 80's oilers, Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa, all show how hard it is.

There is a time to go all in, there's a time to be patient and allow your team to learn and go as far as it can. The canucks said they don't want a team that makes one run and done, they want to build a consistent contender. This was not the year to push your chips all in. Because it would cost us the future and limit the window we have / will have.

You don't keep that window open longer by selling off your high value youth and picks on your first run. When we re-sign Hughes, Demko, Hronek, Petey's contract kicks in, we will NEED, young TALENT on cheap contracts.

If you can't see how management views players like Hogs, Podz, Lek, Willander, Raty, EP2  as KEY to keeping that window open and back filling to help the core for a long period you're blind.

I'll also remind you, we are 1pt out of first overall.

Edited by Bardown
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

At the end of the day, when the playoffs will start, teams will evaluate their opponents, as will the fans. 

Teams will be much more scared of the Canucks roster on paper than we will be of theirs. 

There’s not a single team that can beat us 4 out of 7. This team is special. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

2011.... they went all in, but didn't win... the rest is history...

Empty cupboard and no prospects... These core players are young enough to keep pushing... we need our prospects to cover the holes over the next few years.... so all good.

Yup, to me today was a best case scenario 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Lindholm

Zadorov

Laffery

And didn't pay a premium tdl price for any of them.  I'd say it was a good day for the Canucks today

I agree with Big "Z" and laffery -BUT- I'd hardly call the Lind-🏚️deal a "Darrell's Deal" after giving up:

1) A very valuable 2024 first-round pick (especially after we gave away our 2nd, 3rd/or 4th and 5th round this year)

2) Another conditional fourth-round/possibly 3rd round selection in the 2024 NHL Draft

3) A 40 goal, 70+ point Kuzmenko

4) Badly needed Defenseman prospect Hunter Brzustewicz

5) and Defenseman prospect Joni Jurmo - both of which we are so short of and have been for years!

6) PA's reputation as a savvy trade maker!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess. If we're getting upset over not replacing Friedman I think we are straining to find problems.

Idk. Last time we were in the final we got down to like #9-10 on the depth chart. Friedman is #8.

Even a depth forward with some scoring punch wouldn't be bad, would've given them another option. But I guess they are hoping on Podkolzin. 

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)
4 minutes ago, CanucksFan26 said:

Why are people mad? We’ve added Lafferty, Lindholm, and Zadorov through the season. We have the best record in the conference and we’re missing two very good players who return soon after our only real slump of the season. Good teams don’t need to have crazy deadlines. We didn’t get worse in the last 48 hours and it’s hard to improve on what we have. 

Still missing depth pieces with playoff experience to go on deep run.

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

Let us know how many teams who haven't been in the playoffs for pretty much a decade (other than the bubble and with a very different group) have won a cup on their first run dude?

If you know anything about hockey, you'd know it takes multiple years of playoffs and knocking on the door of a cup to actually get one...The 80's oilers, Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa, all show how hard it is.

There is a time to go all in, there's a time to be patient and allow your team to learn and go as far as it can. The canucks said they don't want a team that makes one run and done, they want to build a consistent contender

You don't do that by selling off your high value youth and picks on your first run. When we re-sign Hughes, Demko, Hronek, Petey's contract kicks in, we will NEED, young TALENT on cheap contracts

If you can't see how management views players like Hogs, Podz, Lek, Willander, EP2  as KEY to keeping that window open and back filling to help the core for a long period you're blind.

So you counted them out already eh?

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

At the end of the day, when the playoffs will start, teams will evaluate their opponents, as will the fans. 

Teams will be much more scared of the Canucks roster on paper than we will be of theirs. 

There’s not a single team that can beat us 4 out of 7. This team is special. 

Beast-Mode Mcdavid? Vegas when they can activate their 35 million over the cap. 

I'm good with it. I'm quite pleased we stood pat. I would have liked a bottom 6 shot surpressor.  But I think we look good on paper. That Dewer for a fourth move I think was the deal of the day that I feel like we should have been in on. Otherwize pretty meh deadline. I think we are in good shape. 

Suter Miller Brock 

Hoglander Pete Lafferty

Dakota Lindholm Garland

Mikheyev Bluger Podkolzin

PDG Aman Bains

Hughes Hronek

Zad Juuls

Soucy Myers

Cole Fried

I think we have 15 fwds and 8D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

2011.... they went all in, but didn't win... the rest is history...

Empty cupboard and no prospects... These core players are young enough to keep pushing... we need our prospects to cover the holes over the next few years.... so all good.

Got us one game away from winning the Cup. #worthit

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Idk. Last time we were in the final we got down to like #9-10 on the depth chart. Friedman is #8.

Even a depth forward with some scoring punch wouldn't be bad, would've given them another option. But I guess they are hoping on Podkolzin. 

Problem was losing #1 Hamhuis.

If Nux lose QH, forget about it.  #8 or not will not save them.  

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Podz is likely far better than some depth chunk we'd over pay for.

Yeah it's not exciting today, but I'm thrilled they got Z and Lindy done early, because had they waited we'd really be in trouble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Yup, to me today was a best case scenario 

As I mentioned earlier, I would have liked another bruising scoring winger (possibly to play on Peteys wing) but other than that I'm happy...

Did not want to screw the team up for nothing... Remember "Roy baby" and the waste that was...

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree with Big "Z" and laffery -BUT- I'd hardly call the Lind-🏚️deal a "Darrell's Deal" after giving up:

1) A very valuable 2024 first-round pick (especially after we gave away our 2nd, 3rd/or 4th and 5th round this year)

2) Another conditional fourth-round/possibly 3rd round selection in the 2024 NHL Draft

3) A 40 goal, 70+ point Kuzmenko

4) Badly needed Defenseman prospect Hunter Brzustewicz

5) and Defenseman prospect Joni Jurmo - both of which we are so short of and have been for years!

6) PA's reputation as a savvy trade maker!

Just fyi, there’s a legit chance that that 1st is between 29-32. Were 3rd in odds for it to be 32nd OA.