[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

The Canucks did their moves early and got at the time what many believed to be the BPA.  There's still time for him to acclimate to the team with so much practice time coming up with some days in between games. He will be ready for the playoffs.  How many teams in the NHL can boast 3 top line centers?  Lindholm on any good team is at least a 2nd line centre. He's playing on the 3rd line but he's not a 3rd line centre.  The Canucks are extremely deep down the spine.  Teams like the Avs are ecstatic they finally found a 2nd line centre. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

So you counted them out already eh?

Not at all. I'm saying no one expected this team to be where it was already. I also know most teams don't go on cinderalla runs. There's a reason the Oilers lost to the Islanders their first time in the finals...even they said they had to "learn" how hard it was and what it took.

If we get hot, if we stay healthy, who knows, but thinking this team is a team that "Should" win a cup before ever experience the stress of the playoffs would suggest a lack of understanding of how hard winning a cup is.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

As I mentioned earlier, I would have liked another bruising scoring winger (possibly to play on Peteys wing) but other than that I'm happy...

Did not want to screw the team up for nothing... Remember "Roy baby" and the waste that was...

You mean to tell me that Toffoli wouldn’t have been able to help Petey? 

Just now, Grandmaster said:

Got us one game away from winning the Cup. #worthit

You think 12 years of shit was worth it?

Depends on the eyes that see...  Advantage here is we have a young core, and if we can find / use our prospects to fill in the blacks (cover for cap issues), then I don't see why this group can't push on for a substantial period... but we need good prospects to be able to cover the holes...

Finally, PA didn't think there was anything available that would suit, what they were looking for, and definitely not at a price they were prepared to pay.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Podz is likely far better than some depth chunk we'd over pay for.

Yeah it's not exciting today, but I'm thrilled they got Z and Lindy done early, because had they waited we'd really be in trouble.

Duhaime would have been my guy.  I like what Podz brings but Duhaime is a tough sob.  That said, Im also happy to see the Abby guys getting a sniff.  Could go a long ways for them development wise

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Dom said:

1) Weak draft & a late first round pick

2) Once again, a weak draft

3) Sure he puts up points, but he can't defend to save his life. 

4) Disagree he is ' badly ' need as we have D Petey/Willander/Kudryavstev/Woo/Hirose/McWard

5) Jurmo isn't even that good lol 

Didn't HB notify the Canucks that he didn't want to sign with them too?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

You mean to tell me that Toffoli wouldn’t have been able to help Petey? 

Would you have given up next year's first and 2nd for him, as a rental?  Thatx what it would take to beat winnipegs offer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Toffoli was a bargain

I disagree. And the last thing we need is another slow forward with no forechecking in our top 6 but that's simply an opinion of mine and that's all it is! 

• Cheers 1

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Pettersson - Lindholm - Mikheyev

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Di Giuseppe - Suter - Lafferty

Aman

Hughes - Juulsen

Soucy - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Cole - Friedman

Not getting a Stanley Cup champions vibe from this roster, but I think they can get passed the 1st Round.

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Problem was losing #1 Hamhuis.

If Nux lose QH, forget about it.  #8 or not will not save them.  

Of course, but Quinn isn't comparable to anyone on that team. It's like if Colorado loses Makar.

But if they lose 2 other important guys, say Soucy & Myers/Hronek. I feel like it wouldn't have been a bad idea to add another reliable depth option.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Podz is likely far better than some depth chunk we'd over pay for.

Yeah it's not exciting today, but I'm thrilled they got Z and Lindy done early, because had they waited we'd really be in trouble.

I don't think signing Kessel or paying a minimal price on someone like Barabanov could've hurt. Worst case they move down as depth, but I do agree Podz deserves a chance. And agree on Lindy/Z.

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The Canucks did their moves early and got at the time what many believed to be the BPA.  There's still time for him to acclimate to the team with so much practice time coming up with some days in between games. He will be ready for the playoffs.  How many teams in the NHL can boast 3 top line centers?  Lindholm on any good team is at least a 2nd line centre. He's playing on the 3rd line but he's not a 3rd line centre.  The Canucks are extremely deep down the spine.  Teams like the Avs are ecstatic they finally found a 2nd line centre. 

And i wouldn't even call Middlstadt a second line center. He's a soft perimiter player who was putting up points. Personally, I think they made a bad move and its going to hurt them. Dude can't play D either.

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

You’re scared of Vegas and Edmonton? 😂

Both these teams’ fans don’t even believe in their team. 

Guessing reading comprehension isn’t your strong point. 
 Vegas when they activate their actual nhl players when they don’t have to worry about salary cap. 

The Mcdavid that shows up for 1 series and gets 10-15 points in a series before the next one when he goes out in 4. So you want to play that Mcdavid for his yearly series? 

2 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

Duhaime would have been my guy.  I like what Podz brings but Duhaime is a tough sob.  That said, Im also happy to see the Abby guys getting a sniff.  Could go a long ways for them development wise

3rd rounder was a steep price for someone who maxes out as a 4th liner. Especially given we have a number of good 4th line options already.

Would've been nice but at that price I was fine to pass.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

Would have far preferred Trenin

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

As I mentioned earlier, I would have liked another bruising scoring winger (possibly to play on Peteys wing) but other than that I'm happy...

Did not want to screw the team up for nothing... Remember "Roy baby" and the waste that was...

Personally, I don't think a bruising winger could keep up with Petey and hogz.  Vegas is full of bruising wingerx and they got schooled last night

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Pettersson - Lindholm - Mikheyev

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Di Giuseppe - Suter - Lafferty

Aman

Hughes - Juulsen

Soucy - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Cole - Friedman

Not getting a Stanley Cup champions vibe from this roster, but I think they can get passed the 1st Round.

They are going to run 3 C's & I doubt the lines change much from how they are now. 

Mik-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-EP40-Suter

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

PDG/Podz-Blueger-Lafferty