[PGT] Let's (not) do a Thing! - Canucks Have Faith in the Current Roster - TDL Friday, Mar 8 @ 12pm PT (or 12:30 if you're Pagnotta)

32 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Maybe bringing in new players would disrupt the excellent room vibe they already have. Allvin not doing anything today shows great trust and belief he has in this team. I'll bet the players are pretty happy they can all stay together and finish what they set out to do.

All Petey and Huggy want are playoffs. They're wired to win and to play in the biggest games. Add that to Miller's heart, grit and leadership, the Josh-Blu-Gar Line, the twin towers, Hroney, Souc and Juuls on D, and of course Demko - they might have what it takes to do something. Also, seeing Mikheyev's intensity, speed and aggression against the Knights was impressive and that could be very promising. 

Once that VAN playoff crowd gets going the team will be fired up. 

Well, we are also going to be adding Dak and Myers back into the lineup at some point, and Breezer is skating again. 

If we can stay healthy then really there isn't really a reason to trade away futures, this team is pretty solid.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Guessing reading comprehension isn’t your strong point. 
 Vegas when they activate their actual nhl players when they don’t have to worry about salary cap. 

The Mcdavid that shows up for 1 series and gets 10-15 points in a series before the next one when he goes out in 4. So you want to play that Mcdavid for his yearly series? 

So, based on your logic, let's just give the Cup to Edmonton because they have McDavid? Are you for real?

57 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There's a chance that management saw what Vegas and Colorado were doing and said hell no to that and decided to just run it out

My belief is they saw what's out there,then saw the price and stayed pat.

Would one guy make us that much better????

Or would not trading make us better in the future???

I think they made their moves and are happy.

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The other win for the Canucks is still having both their 2025 and 2026 1st and 2nd round picks 

They've done a solid job drafting with top picks, hopefully they hold on to these and do more of it 

We also likely weren’t signing anyone we  traded for this deadline as we’re already unlikely to keep everyone.  May as well save assets for the offseason.  Also glad we kept the top prospects.

Any move today would have been a true “all in” statement.  As it stands; we’re unlikely to keep Lindholm and that was a significant price.

• Cheers 2
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wouldn't condone making moves for the sake of them but prior to the All star game, we essentially needed depth scoring to support the Lotto line. If someone could play center, great.

We could have gone out and acquired someone like Roslovic or Wennberg who went pretty cheap and could just anchor a 3C role for us. We could have then gone out and acquired one of the many middle-6 wingers who went for no more than a 2nd.

Instead we throw all our assets at Lindholm - another star on a team full of stars - who has been the biggest disappointment of the year.

I know it's a negative spin, and the Lindholm trade was exciting, but it's not what this team needed and now that we spunked all our assets on him, we had nothing left to acquire depth, which is what we needed, and what all the cup contenders acquired.

PA just got schooled, hope he learns his lesson for the next TDL.

I think there's also an oversight here on the price someone else pays isn't necessarily the price we'd get to pay. Just because Roslovic only costed a 4th for the Rangers, I think our assumption is that it would cost us the same where that could very well be false. There's a whole side to this that we have no visibility on/understanding of and I think being so critical and negative of it isn't the most wholistic way to view it.

Also the statement of throwing all our assets at Lindholm is pretty false. We retained our best assets, and the only assets of worth we gave up were the 1st and Hunter Brzustewicz. I've been pretty vocal on defending Lindholm because I think everyone criticizes him for his lack of offense which is warranted to a degree. I don't think however he's been a complete disappointment as he's almost been an ace for us on the faceoff dot most nights, and has brought a ton of defensive balance when he's on the ice.

Those two things are going to be huge for us in the playoffs, and now the hope is his offense can get going. If it does get going, and can already foresee everyone changing their tune. Lindholm is a very good right handed C, and hopefully he just needs a little more time.

Edited by ngoway
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Oh well... The message is clear, just roll the dice on the current squad while EP40 is signed up for next 8 years....a huge window of opportunity with him and Hughes and JT.... I suppose...

Sorry, I just can't hide my disappointment when we are really 1-2 pieces away from making a deep playoff run!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

My belief is they saw what's out there,then saw the price and stayed pat.

Would one guy make us that much better????

Or would not trading make us better in the future???

I think they made their moves and are happy.

JR always said he will not trade our young guys,and he kept word.We might exit second round,but house is in order.I am happy.There is a lot things to hope for

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Really wanted Toffoli, we should have never lost him in the first place if it wasn't for idiot management being slow on the draw. I don't like our chances if we face Winnipeg, he'll kill us as per usual.....Sigh

4 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Oh well... The message is clear, just roll the dice on the current squad while EP40 is signed up for next 8 years....a huge window of opportunity with him and Hughes and JT.... I suppose...

Sorry, I just can't hide my disappointment when we are really 1-2 pieces away from making a deep playoff run!

Those pieces are Joshua, Podkolzin and Myers

Fear not!

1 minute ago, Captain Kirk said:

Really wanted Toffoli, we should have never lost him in the first place if it wasn't for idiot management being slow on the draw. I don't like our chances if we face Winnipeg, he'll kill us as per usual.....Sigh

AVS are only team i am afraid

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

And

Karlsson Räty Lekkerimäki

And I know that everyone has pretty much written off my boy Danila - the kid will surprise everyone in a year or two, mark my words.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Joshrips said:

I would have traded any young guy not on the current roster for one extra piece, such as the Toffoli that played for us a few years back. We are contenders though, nonetheless.

so you'd move Willander for a Tofu rental?

A little surprised there were no new additions to "tweak" the lineup - however, what a team's wants is not necessarily equal to what players are available and at what cost

I have been wishing for more size in the bottom six for weeks - however, it also has to be match with RT's style - which seems to focus on endurance, finishing checks and being defensively responsible.  Maybe there were no one that was available at a reasonable cost. I am pretty sure they were also a bit careful with the team / room culture - moving a player who has worked hard all year to a lottery team now is almost saying thank you very much.  If this team is not relatively successful in the playoffs - changes will probably happen then.

Perhaps they have a couple of players like Raty and especially Podkolzin who will get minutes in this final stretch of games to see if they can contribute in the playoffs.

Just Win.jpg

2 minutes ago, Joshrips said:

I would have traded any young guy not on the current roster for one extra piece, such as the Toffoli that played for us a few years back. We are contenders though, nonetheless.

We aren't close to contenders, glad we didn't trade away any of our young guys.

I just do not like how Vegas again has so much cap room with injured players and picked up three pieces.

When the rest are healthy they have to make a rule that you can't be 5 mill over the cap in playoffs.

Vegas and Tampa hav done it for years now and to me it's not right.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It is when they haven't played in the post season yet.  

Who hasn't? Podz, Bains, Hogs, Aman, Juuls. 

Everyone in the core has.  Albeit Demko only had 3 games but was sensational.

Cole and Bleuger are cup winners. JT had many stints with TB and Rangers.  Lindy with flames.