Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Odd.

5 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

We were never paying Horvat what the Islanders are paying for his services.

I'm sad to lose him but the Defensmen we needed more than a 3rd line center works for me.

See here’s the thing. I don’t like it. He’s below average defensively up until last season, and quite frankly, played better with a good defensive partner in Maata. We’re relying on him to carry the 2nd pair with a defenseman who will most likely be playing top 4 minutes for the first time in his career in Soucy.

We could have drafted a really good player with the 17th, and perhaps used a different 1st for someone like Pesce, who is a much better defender. 

The idea of trading a 1st isn’t the biggest issue, it’s the quality coming back. I’m hoping Hronek proves me wrong but he doesn’t seem like the type of defenseman this team needs.

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1

It definitely looks a touch better now than it did at the time. I was big on us tearing the team down and adding picks. But the changes overall look solid. I am still worried about our future. Cause a few of the big acquisitions we made are on 1 year deals. So, we can just as easily be ass again after this season. Especially given we don't have the deepest prospect pool. Hronek and Petey are still not extended. Meaning we might not even be keeping them long term.

Long story short. On paper it's a great trade. But was it one we were in a proper position to make? Time will tell.

At the time, it appeared as if management was indecisive about the direction of the team. For a second, we were all thinking rebuild but then suddenly NOPE. I'll reserve judgement until after seeing a sufficient sample size of Hronek, but ASP would have been nice (assuming that's who we would've drafted).

Was sad to lose Bo, but the only condition I had was that if they trade him they better get a right-handed, top 1d calibre player in return in someway shape or form.  They did that.  I was happy, and still am.

And I'll tell you that for free.

Edited by Canuckle
clarification on position
  • ThereItIs 1

Truth is, we'll soon see what happens with Hronek: whether he proves to be a solid defender for us or if he was overhyped. That being said, if you follow the logic as it stands now and based on his time in Detroit, the trade makes sense in my opinion.

Edited by The Lock
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

Last thread had 49 pages. 

Yeah anyways I can’t belieeeeeeeeeeeve we traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for Hronek 🤪🤪🤪

I wasn't but will also concede that the deal made perfect sense given what this management group (and ownership) are trying to accomplish.  

For better or for worse (probably for worse but I'll be honest and say what I would have done), I would have traded ALL of Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, and Demko for 2023 1st round picks and elite prospects.  I would have moved Kuzmenko for a low 1st.  I would have then brought in additional 1sts by weaponizing our cap space with bad contracts and would have tanked hard for a 2023 lottery pick (which likely would have put us in a position to draft Bedard, Fantili, or Carlson).  But again, that's what I would have done and there would have been some massive pros AND cons to my plan.......but I digress.

Here is our current Canucks team:

Forwards.

image.thumb.png.c7e9f68f7ade983cdd3452c0c3dae49a.png

Defense:  

image.thumb.png.2861d8506990257873ea3508b2508fd6.png

Goaltending:image.thumb.png.17cb126289350aa334e5e680cb33a5e2.png

-My initial prognosis is that

1) We are solid up front 

2) We are solid in Net

3) We need another Top 4 LHD on our team if we truly want to be a playoff team this year......with a good chance of making the 2nd round.

-Soucy needs to be a #4. Not a top pairing guy.

-Cole needs to be on the 3rd pairing and anchor that 3rd pairing (whether he's playing with Hirose, Wolanin, Myers, or whoever).  

I don't know if it's feasible or not (or even advisable), but I'd try and package one of Hoglander or Podkolzin with Myers to bring in a top 4 calibre defenseman that can play alongside Hronek.  Make a legit "hockey deal" so to speak.  

For example, would Hoglander and Myers bring you a solid "stay at home" youngish LHD that could play alongside Hronek and take on our toughest match-ups? (said defenseman would need a cap hit of $6 million or less to make it work from a cap standpoint).  My guess is that a Hoglander/Myers deal would not land you said piece but maybe a Podkolzin/Myers deal would?  (although I have reservations obviously about moving Podkolzin).  

New Defense:

[NewLHD]-Hronek

Hughes-Soucy

Cole-[Wolanin/Hirose/McWard, etc.]

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Right player, likely going to be the not-so-right timing when all is said and done.

If he can stay healthy, it's a plus, but he alone won't be moving the needle.

Objectively, we would have been better off keeping our picks, but there's pressure/we've been forced into competing for the here and now.

As I posted in the old forums, I was happy with it. The small sample size from the few games he played showed me he's a better RD than any other we have.

A 4th rounder was included along with Hronek in that trade.  We acquired multiple picks for the 4th round in the last draft. Which one of Alriksson, Mueller, and Perkins is the one we got from Detroit?

I ask this 'cuz if whoever it was we picked works out, then that means a win for us. However, all this means squat right now. Let's see some games first. 

Edited by Sativika

On paper it’s a good trade. 

Hronek has played like a top two defenceman on Detroit, he’s capable of playing sound defence while putting up 40 points. 

Beauvillier helps scoring depth up front, is still young, and is a playoff performer. 

Raty is a piece that has potential to make this trade a lopsided one in Canucks favour. His production in his first season in the AHL was impressive, if he can take the next step to being close to a point per game player then he’s on a top 6 forward trajectory. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bane said:

On paper it’s a good trade. 

Hronek has played like a top two defenceman on Detroit, he’s capable of playing sound defence while putting up 40 points. 

Beauvillier helps scoring depth up front, is still young, and is a playoff performer. 

Raty is a piece that has potential to make this trade a lopsided one in Canucks favour. His production in his first season in the AHL was impressive, if he can take the next step to being close to a point per game player then he’s on a top 6 forward trajectory. 

Add to that good news the fact Horfat Wallet was cheating the game with us, wanted a huge overpay, and flopped with the Islanders. 
We dodged an elephant sized bullet.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Odd. said:

See here’s the thing. I don’t like it. He’s below average defensively up until last season, and quite frankly, played better with a good defensive partner in Maata. We’re relying on him to carry the 2nd pair with a defenseman who will most likely be playing top 4 minutes for the first time in his career in Soucy.

We could have drafted a really good player with the 17th, and perhaps used a different 1st for someone like Pesce, who is a much better defender. 

The idea of trading a 1st isn’t the biggest issue, it’s the quality coming back. I’m hoping Hronek proves me wrong but he doesn’t seem like the type of defenseman this team needs.

I think these reasons for being cautious about the trade are valid, but it also shows just how hard it is to get RHD talent on a team, on a timetable that fits (or close to it). Could we have used the pick for Pesce? maybe, but we'd need to clear Myers first, and so far thats not a thing. Do we burn 2 firsts then to land Pesce? are we now overpricing him?

Sure, we could have tried to draft a RHD with the pick.. who maybe becomes as good as Hronek in 6 years. What does that lineup look like? who knows.

The brass are pushing the chips in on this group. We can argue whether or not that is the right thing to do, but in that context, for sure I'm happy they brought someone in to fill a top 4 RHD role. 

Based on the improved play we saw with our new coaching staff (some pretty smart hockey minds there) I see a lot of reason to be optimistic. So I'm happy we at least have a chance at having something resembling a top 4 playing in front of Demko.