Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Odd.

On 5/23/2024 at 4:39 PM, Blue said:

If we trade Hronek , our biggest organizational need will be top pairing RHD again. So trades just make no sense.

And it would sure look bad if he traded and signs for 7.3 with another team and then plays like a 9 million dollar defensman for a full season instead of just a half.

Nice! Exactly this. We haven't seen the best of Hronek yet, imo.

First paragraph, so spot on! 

• Haha 1

This is the problem, if we trade him we get another hole on RHD.

And I don't think teams trade RHD for RHD.

But if Hronek asks for a crazy amount then what? Go to abritration and sign for 2 years, and trade him next year?

His age is a big reason we should re sign him rather than chasing the UFA crop who are older and will want 7 years

Hronek is only 26. Even if we think or haven't seen him be able to anchor his own pairing yet, he has more room to improve. Dmen aren't done developing by 26. They peak later than forwards. Its also on PA to find him a LD partner to mesh with besides Hughes. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The point is- and stick with me here:

a poster said Hronek had more points than Toews, and I provided proof that he did not.

that is all.

like this is the 5- or 6th time now, granted to a few  different posters but yeesh.

Okay so I 100% never saw that. i thought this was a disagreement on a comparison and contract negotiations.   Sorry I didnt quite understand

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The point is- and stick with me here:

a poster said Hronek had more points than Toews, and I provided proof that he did not.

that is all.

like this is the 5- or 6th time now, granted to a few  different posters but yeesh.

Could it be a possible miscommunication/misunderstanding between you and @Alflives That perhaps Alf meant the same age, Hronek put up more points?

Because if that was what Alf meant, you would both be right in your own statements, but neither statement is on the same page

Edited by AnthonyG

28 minutes ago, Wheres Wellwood said:

His age is a big reason we should re sign him rather than chasing the UFA crop who are older and will want 7 years

Hronek is only 26. Even if we think or haven't seen him be able to anchor his own pairing yet, he has more room to improve. Dmen aren't done developing by 26. They peak later than forwards. Its also on PA to find him a LD partner to mesh with besides Hughes. 

But not at 8 million. If he cant carry a top 4 pair he isn't an 8M defenseman.

I think worst case they take him to arbitration & get a 1-2 year deal which will be less than 8M based on last season I imagine.

I like Hronek. He is a good player. I am happy with the trade for him. I just don't know that I would be happy with the Canucks paying him 7.2 million per season or more. I think he is good, I just don't think he is that good. Most of the skaters on the team had their production dip in the 2nd half of the season when compared to the 1st half other than say Garland, Hoglander, and Joshua. Hronek, however, seemed to have the biggest dip in production out of everyone, which continued into the playoffs as well.

I think paying him as much or more than Devon Toews would be too much money. Offensively, Toews and Hronek are pretty close comparibles. Defensively though it's not even really close. Hronek is a decent defender, I would say slightly above average when it comes to defense. Devon Toews is elite defensively. Toews has proven he can carry a defense pair on his own. With Hronek, that is still up in the air. Toews has put up really solid numbers in the playoffs as well. Hronek got his first taste of playoff action this season and I would say most of us Canucks fans were a little disappointed in his overall play. Defensively he did a decent job, but I expected more from him offensively. I'm sure Toews benefits from playing with Makar a lot, but I think Makar greatly benefits from playing with Toews. Hronek definitely benefits from playing with Hughes at even strength and I think Hughes benefits from playing with Hronek, just not near as much as some are making it out to be.

Interesting +/- stats for Toews since he has joined Colorado. Toews has a +/- of +148 in 4 seasons with Colorado. Makar during those 4 seasons is +96. Toews gets it done with or without Makar. Are we sure Hronek does the same without Hughes?

2 minutes ago, boziffous said:

I like Hronek. He is a good player. I am happy with the trade for him. I just don't know that I would be happy with the Canucks paying him 7.2 million per season or more. I think he is good, I just don't think he is that good. Most of the skaters on the team had their production dip in the 2nd half of the season when compared to the 1st half other than say Garland, Hoglander, and Joshua. Hronek, however, seemed to have the biggest dip in production out of everyone, which continued into the playoffs as well.

I think paying him as much or more than Devon Toews would be too much money. Offensively, Toews and Hronek are pretty close comparibles. Defensively though it's not even really close. Hronek is a decent defender, I would say slightly above average when it comes to defense. Devon Toews is elite defensively. Toews has proven he can carry a defense pair on his own. With Hronek, that is still up in the air. Toews has put up really solid numbers in the playoffs as well. Hronek got his first taste of playoff action this season and I would say most of us Canucks fans were a little disappointed in his overall play. Defensively he did a decent job, but I expected more from him offensively. I'm sure Toews benefits from playing with Makar a lot, but I think Makar greatly benefits from playing with Toews. Hronek definitely benefits from playing with Hughes at even strength and I think Hughes benefits from playing with Hronek, just not near as much as some are making it out to be.

Interesting +/- stats for Toews since he has joined Colorado. Toews has a +/- of +148 in 4 seasons with Colorado. Makar during those 4 seasons is +96. Toews gets it done with or without Makar. Are we sure Hronek does the same without Hughes?

Hronek plays with way more bite than Toews. Torws is a softy McMuffin. Hronek is better. 

Just now, boziffous said:

Take off the homer glasses and put the bottle down, Alf.

Never! F all the other clubs and their players!!! 😂

If we trade Hronek then he goes into the loserdoodle pile of craperolla too. But while he’s ours he’s better than his comparables. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Still don't have a top 4 RHD in that scenario.  

And Lindholm won't sign for 6.5 unless free agency flops for him and Boston will offer him 8 I think and Lindholm turned 8 down in CGY.  

Lindholm's value tanked.   The guys that do the expected contracts, have him at 6.5.    From the start of the season.    Caps going up 5%.   Not 10%.   And there are a lot of UFAs fighting for those dollars plus RFAs due for their raises.    Boston only has to offer him 6 to match a Vancouver offer of 6.7,  so not holding my breath, was replying to someone else's scenario.  

We don't have to do Hronek this summer other than qualify him.   If we go to arbitration, then that's what we do.   Personally feel they will  trade/buyout Mikheyev and most of the same band will be back.   If they trade Garland, then they will be going for a bigger fish. 

Edited by IBatch

36 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But not at 8 million. If he cant carry a top 4 pair he isn't an 8M defenseman.

I think worst case they take him to arbitration & get a 1-2 year deal which will be less than 8M based on last season I imagine.

I agree but 8 is his agents ask. That's never what gets agreed to. It'll be a bridge deal before it goes to arbitration I think. Arbitration is a nasty process that neither side likes. 

Or they'll settle for 7 for medium length (5-6 years

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Never! F all the other clubs and their players!!! 😂

If we trade Hronek then he goes into the loserdoodle pile of craperolla too. But while he’s ours he’s better than his comparables. 

I appreciate your enthusiasm for our Canucks players and enjoy reading your posts, I'm just not convinced that Hronek would be worth 7+ million per season. I trust in Alvin and Rutherford to make the right decision. If Hronek stays here long term for big bucks then I hope he proves to be a steal in a few years when we look back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Lindholm's value tanked.   The guys that do the expected contracts, have him at 6.5.    From the start of the season.    Caps going up 5%.   Not 10%.   And there are a lot of UFAs fighting for those dollars plus RFAs due for their raises.    Boston only has to offer him 6 to match a Vancouver offer of 6.7,  so not holding my breath, was replying to someone else's scenario.  

Bruins need a number 1C. They will offer Lindy over well 50 million. Likely they go 8 mil x 7 years. They might even go 8.5 x 7 to make certain they get him. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Wheres Wellwood said:

I agree but 8 is his agents ask. That's never what gets agreed to. It'll be a bridge deal before it goes to arbitration I think. Arbitration is a nasty process that neither side likes. 

Or they'll settle for 7 for medium length (5-6 years

The last part. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Bruins need a number 1C. They will offer Lindy over well 50 million. Likely they go 8 mil x 7 years. They might even go 8.5 x 7 to make certain they get him. 

Nope.   I don't think so.   My empties said no.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Think the Bruins will be paying the piper and know that.    Marchand isn't getting younger.   They need a re-tool soon.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So basically you sign him before July 1 or he is a Bruin.  I have been saying this for months.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Think the Bruins will be paying the piper and know that.    Marchand isn't getting younger.   They need a re-tool soon.  

Alf’s Empties see us re-signing Lindy, Zadorov, and Myers. We will trade Hronek and Garland. The return we get for the latter two will be used to acquire a partner for Hughes and more depth on wing. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bruins don't really have the cap to throw $ 8.5m at Lindholm. They need several more pieces and it won't be cheap locking up Swayman. With $ 20 million to spend they will be in tight if they get silly on Lindholm.

Leads to another rumored club, the Hurricanes. They are going to have to bite the bullet and pay out substantial raises to Jarvis, Necas to name a couple. They also have more spots to fill with possibly departing top end roster pieces in Teravainen, Pesce, Skjei. All with about $ 26 million in space.

• Vintage 1

The thing I like about the trade is that, if we deal him now, he still has plenty of value and we will recover that value!! If he's dealt, it will be because his price is too high and if that happens PA will have a plan and I'm going to leave it with him. 

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf’s Empties see us re-signing Lindy, Zadorov, and Myers. We will trade Hronek and Garland. The return we get for the latter two will be used to acquire a partner for Hughes and more depth on wing. 

Don't think we sign Lindy or Z and don't want Myers.  

Do want Joshua, Hronek and Bluegar.  

Then we need a top 6 winger (Toffoli?) and a top 4 RHD.  Hopefully someone that could also play with Hughes so Hronek can play with Soucy sometimes.  

• Cheers 1