Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Odd.

Canucks need to improve their top 6. That was evident when our scoring dried up in the playoffs. We need to find a way to trade Mikheyev and Garland. I love Garlands drive and play this year. But sometimes to build something better we need to lose a good piece. But we need to free up some cap space. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Canucks need to improve their top 6. That was evident when our scoring dried up in the playoffs. We need to find a way to trade Mikheyev and Garland. I love Garlands drive and play this year. But sometimes to build something better we need to lose a good piece. But we need to free up some cap space. 

Personally believe in keeping Dakota Bluegar Garland intact. 

Would go with Pods Petey Hogs as one top 6.  See this as an investment in the future.  

Would love to deal suter and mik for long term depth (picks or young players). I think Mik has value still for a team with defensive issues. 

Then get a mean power forward for Miller Boeser.  

4th line something like

Karlsson Aman Bains.  Hopefully Karlsson can be a right hand draw man. 

Keep a 13th forward from farm sasson, raty or dries.  

Then

Hughes Hronek

Soucy. UFA

Fill from farm Juulsen. 

Demko

Silovs.  

That should keep us under cap so we can top up at the deadline. 

I see this as sustainable development that allows us to stay at the top of the division in the long run.  The D will just get better with Willander and D Petey coming.  M

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Personally believe in keeping Dakota Bluegar Garland intact. 

Would go with Pods Petey Hogs as one top 6.  See this as an investment in the future.  

Would love to deal suter and mik for long term depth (picks or young players). I think Mik has value still for a team with defensive issues. 

Then get a mean power forward for Miller Boeser.  

4th line something like

Karlsson Aman Bains.  Hopefully Karlsson can be a right hand draw man. 

Keep a 13th forward from farm sasson, raty or dries.  

Then

Hughes Hronek

Soucy. UFA

Fill from farm Juulsen. 

Demko

Silovs.  

That should keep us under cap so we can top up at the deadline. 

I see this as sustainable development that allows us to stay at the top of the division in the long run.  The D will just get better with Willander and D Petey coming.  M

Podz - Petey - Hogs just doesn’t do it for me. Instead I would like to see Podz & Hogs on the third line with Bluegar. 

Top 6:

Top 6 Winger - Miller - Boeser

Petey - Lindholm - Top 6 winger 

Podz - Bluegar - Hogs

Karlson - Suter - Bains/Bottom 6 forward 

That is the best use of our cap space. 

Out: Garland, Joshua, Mikheyev, Aman

I know it makes no sense getting rid of 2/3 of our third line but it might be a good idea to sell high on Garland and use the 5M for our top 6 not third line. Joshua might have priced himself out but for 3M I would bring him back. Mikheyev’s almost 5M - no explanation needed. 

Bottom 6 has cheaper options in Podz, Hogs, Bains, Karlson and Suter/Bluegar come fairly priced. 

More money needs to be allocated to our top 6. We need one more sure bet bonafide winger not named Brock Boeser.

5 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

Would a cheap Shattenkirk as a 6th d on the rside be an option for 1 yr, (buying more time for our younger guys to develop and not be rushed)?

You want to squeeze Juulsen out?

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Juulsen should be penciled in as a number 7/8.

Need to sign a vet to fill the number 6.

If we do move on from Hronek then we need to keep Z and Myers for sure. Might even keep Cole too.

Hughes, ?

Z, Myers

Soucy, Cole

Juulsson 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We need cap room for expensive signings.  Thus the third pair and 4th line need young players on cost effective contracts.  

11 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

We need cap room for expensive signings.  Thus the third pair and 4th line need young players on cost effective contracts.  

True. Guys like Hogs, Pods, Bains, Aman, D-Petey, Willander, Lekkerimaki will be playing on cheaper contracts. 
Add to that veterans looking to resurrect their careers might come here to play a season alongside Huggy or Petey or Miller? They see our great players and know there’s opportunity to have a big year. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think Juulsen would be ok as a 6D. He played good when he was getting consistent time in the line up. It was when he was taken out of the line up and then put in the game that he had the mental lapses. He seems like a player that would do well under consistent minutes. But agreed if we can get a vet for the 6D position it adds to our depth if Juulsen is our 7th guy.

All this drama aside, we'd be stupid to trade him and not keep him for so many reasons.

1 - we spent a bucket-load of assets to acquire him.

2 - he made one of if not the best pairing in the NHL last year. 

3 - he's young, only 26, and just had a career year so has so much room to grow.

4 - who else do we have on the right side going forward? Willander in like...3 years maybe. 

I know it's tempting to flip him, acquire a scorer and sign a UFA but I'd much rather we just stick with what we've got and turn him into a beast over the next few years. He's still so young and the best of his career is yet to come - he looks like the kind of guy who could hit his prime in 28-32 years old, a bit like Miller.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Alec Martz might be a Edler like place holder for Willander et al.

ufa for Vegas

2 or 3 years at a lower cap hit because he's 36 now but still serviceable like Edler was. 2x3

A solid bottom pairing guy.

Is that not what a discounted Myers is?  

Definitely not because he’ll cost to much to resign . We really need someone bigger and meaner playing next to Quinn to protect him especially in the playoffs . He boomed at the start of the year . I’d argue to resign him and pair him with someone else if he wasn’t so awful in the playoffs . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2024 at 3:21 PM, Wheres Wellwood said:

I agree but 8 is his agents ask. That's never what gets agreed to. It'll be a bridge deal before it goes to arbitration I think. Arbitration is a nasty process that neither side likes. 

Or they'll settle for 7 for medium length (5-6 years

I was close.