Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Odd.

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So Toews isn’t worth his contract because of Makar?

Poor argument.

Toews has proven to be effective with or without Makar.

image.thumb.png.7fbd57da35519a9888a3d83a7e1fb449.png

Hronek being effective away from Hughes is up for debate.

image.thumb.png.983c27b72278af15c8f5725cfdcb0218.png

Surprising that Hughes had even better fancy stats away from Hronek this past season.

1 hour ago, The King of Kings said:

it would mean a 4M+ flexibilty for the cap at the beginning of last season

And they moved him. So who cares? It had no effect on the season. 

Hronek is a legitimate top pair rhd.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, boziffous said:

Toews has proven to be effective with or without Makar.

image.thumb.png.7fbd57da35519a9888a3d83a7e1fb449.png

Hronek being effective away from Hughes is up for debate.

image.thumb.png.983c27b72278af15c8f5725cfdcb0218.png

Surprising that Hughes had even better fancy stats away from Hronek this past season.

Drawing any kind of conclusion over 300 minutes of playing time is insane. 

If you need proof Hronek is effective without hughes, we have 4 full seasons worth of proof that hes a 0.5 ppg defenseman, and he didnt have quinn hughes for any of those. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

And they moved him. So who cares? It had no effect on the season. 

Hronek is a legitimate top pair rhd.

I didnt like the fact that the Canucks ate up that 4M caphit.

It doesnt mean I dont like Hronek the player.  Of course he's important to the team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The King of Kings said:

It doesnt mean I dont like Hronek the player.  Of course he's important to the team.

No other choice tho if the islanders were the trade partners. Allvin went with the highest pick he could get which was a smart move.

You also never know, Beau might have been a good winger with Petey. 

Edited by Bob Long

7 minutes ago, The King of Kings said:

i think detroit was just very much in the drivers seat

they knew they had a rare commodity

it was a take it or leave it deal

if we left it, its pretty unlikely we'd get a top-pair RD in his age bracket anywhere else

Edit: sorry i see you were refering to the islanders deal

Edited by HarbularyBattery

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

No other choice tho if the islanders were the trade partners. Allvin went with the highest pick he could get which was a smart move.

You also never know, Beau might have been a good winger with Petey. 

Beau did replace Mikeyev on the top line when Mik was injured and he played good and was out scoring Horvat right after the trade 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2024 at 9:42 AM, HarbularyBattery said:

they knew they had a rare commodity

it was a take it or leave it deal

if we left it, its pretty unlikely we'd get a top-pair RD in his age bracket anywhere else

Despite the edit ... this is spot on! 

It's interesting that Hronek despite struggling finished the season only two points behind Toews in points for defensemen. 

With a more consistent and complete season, optimizing his shot, Hronek will finish considerably higher. 

FOTO_20240801_125015.jpg.a76e39e2394e9eb2ba02ae88df9334aa.jpg

• chaos 1

• 2 weeks later...

3 centres deep was tried with Horvat as the 3C and it never worked.  Replacing Horvat with Hronek was vintage Alvin.  Many moving parts with orchestrated trades by the GM and again he was able to improve this team in a huge way getting Hronek.  Knowing the winning formula for this teams success and knowing what the Canucks needed last year (top 6 winger for Petey) it's a shame Alvin was handcuffed during free agency last year.  After that trade for Lindholm, Petey's production tanked while being used as the 3C. Hopefully a valuable lesson learned that playing games during negotiations has consequences.  The only reason Alvin would sign a 3rd centre knowing this formula doesn't work is if they were worried Petey wouldn't sign with the Canucks.  It's hard to know how things would have played out if Petey was up front with Alvin and the GM was able to bring in someone to help Petey down the stretch and into the playoffs.  Maybe things would have gone differently, but we'll never know.  All Petey can do is try to take away the positives from this experience and I hope it motivates him to play hard for his teammates.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1

I feel like the kicker will be not if but when they find the right combination to split Hughes Hronek and have a balanced attack instead of 1 power pairing and 2 shut down pairings. 

IMO when we have that they will be able to exploit the agressive forchecking style they want to play on a nother level.

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I feel like the kicker will be not if but when they find the right combination to split Hughes Hronek and have a balanced attack instead of 1 power pairing and 2 shut down pairings. 

IMO when we have that they will be able to exploit the agressive forchecking style they want to play on a nother level.

All true.  Just think we need Willander for that. 

17 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Defense should all be "shut down pairings" and then still be able to put pucks on sticks for assists and occasionally a goal.

Myers did pretty well considering he was used mostly against the top lines, in dangerous situations.

I think if we all take a minute to look at League Defensive scoring and scroll down to Myers, and look at who he is "kinda" equal to, he is a top 4 still.

2 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

All true.  Just think we need Willander for that. 

Yes. I agree.

I think Defensive pairings that work the best are ones with an offensive fast, stick handler and a stay at home guy who can pass to the other guy.

Myers is not really a good stay at home guy, he was born to run. Playing with Soucy and Cole, allowed Myers to attack the incoming player and usually get the puck. And, I almost think he was the best Van defenseman during the playoffs besides Zadorov.

Hronek needs to chill and just be the safe guy for Hughes. Most of his points were secondary's on Hughes primary assist, or a primary assist on a Hughes goal.... no more time in the Defensive zone please. Just cover for Hughes