Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Odd.

50 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Defense should all be "shut down pairings" and then still be able to put pucks on sticks for assists and occasionally a goal.

Myers did pretty well considering he was used mostly against the top lines, in dangerous situations.

I think if we all take a minute to look at League Defensive scoring and scroll down to Myers, and look at who he is "kinda" equal to, he is a top 4 still.

Yes. I agree.

I think Defensive pairings that work the best are ones with an offensive fast, stick handler and a stay at home guy who can pass to the other guy.

Myers is not really a good stay at home guy, he was born to run. Playing with Soucy and Cole, allowed Myers to attack the incoming player and usually get the puck. And, I almost think he was the best Van defenseman during the playoffs besides Zadorov.

Hronek needs to chill and just be the safe guy for Hughes. Most of his points were secondary's on Hughes primary assist, or a primary assist on a Hughes goal.... no more time in the Defensive zone please. Just cover for Hughes

When we get Willander in 2025 then Myers can drop to the third pair and feast on inferior competition. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hronek is a young, top pairing, right shot D who is a brilliant player. The guy is 50 points and plus 40! Holy! That’s a great player. And we friggin’ stole him from “soon to be fired and overrated” Yzerboy. And we dumperooed Horfat Wallet in the whole scenario. Who isn’t happy with the Hronek deal? Because if you are, you’re a friggin’ moron! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Defense should all be "shut down pairings" and then still be able to put pucks on sticks for assists and occasionally a goal.

Myers did pretty well considering he was used mostly against the top lines, in dangerous situations.

I think if we all take a minute to look at League Defensive scoring and scroll down to Myers, and look at who he is "kinda" equal to, he is a top 4 still.

Yes. I agree.

I think Defensive pairings that work the best are ones with an offensive fast, stick handler and a stay at home guy who can pass to the other guy.

Myers is not really a good stay at home guy, he was born to run. Playing with Soucy and Cole, allowed Myers to attack the incoming player and usually get the puck. And, I almost think he was the best Van defenseman during the playoffs besides Zadorov.

Hronek needs to chill and just be the safe guy for Hughes. Most of his points were secondary's on Hughes primary assist, or a primary assist on a Hughes goal.... no more time in the Defensive zone please. Just cover for Hughes

No this is is fully wrong especially that last bit about Hronek needs to just chill stay home sauce passes to Hughes. We saw it at the end of the season right? Hronek tanked as Hughes skyrocketed towards the Norris. If you want a guy to just sauce over to Hughes you can get one for two mil. You don't pay 7.6 or whatever for that guy. 

And I fully disagree with your opinion that we should just have three shut down pairings. If we're going to play fast aggressive fore checking hockey, we're going to want to capitalize on that style and have defenseman that move the puck and pinch with aplomb. Three shutdown pairings is just a waste of all the hard work to play that fast aggressive checking style. We want our d jumping into the rush getting into the play Ham without juice is just ham. Juice without ham is just awful. 

Edited by Hammertime

48 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

No this is is fully wrong especially that last bit about Hronek needs to just chill stay home sauce passes to Hughes. We saw it at the end of the season right? Hronek tanked as Hughes skyrocketed towards the Norris. If you want a guy to just sauce over to Hughes you can get one for two mil. You don't pay 7.6 or whatever for that guy. 

And I fully disagree with your opinion that we should just have three shut down pairings. If we're going to play fast aggressive fore checking hockey, we're going to want to capitalize on that style and have defenseman that move the puck and pinch with aplomb. Three shutdown pairings is just a waste of all the hard work to play that fast aggressive checking style. We want Rd jumping into the rush getting into the play Ham without juice is just ham. Juice without ham is just awful. 

You are absolutely right to disagree with me, and my opinions. But choose your words, The first bold is bad taste, the second bolded is correct.

Its just my opinions I write.

When Hughes is going deep Hronek needs to back up at least to the line. go to the middle.

On that last goal against nashville, where Hughes dodged a guy and he slid out of the blue, you will notice it was EP40 that was back there, covering for Hughes. Hronek needs to just do what he do before he got the bags of money I am not saying this is RIGHT or FACT i am just chatting with a bunch of Canucks fans.

Its better when we dont all agree on everything anyway!

Edited by EastCoastExpress
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

You are absolutely right to disagree with me, and my opinions. But choose your words, The first bold is bad taste, the second bolded is correct.

Its just my opinions I write.

When Hughes is going deep Hronek needs to back up at least to the line. go to the middle.

On that last goal against nashville, where Hughes dodged a guy and he slid out of the blue, you will notice it was EP40 that was back there, covering for Hughes. Hronek needs to just do what he do before he got the bags of money I am not saying this is RIGHT or FACT i am just chatting with a bunch of Canucks fans.

Its better when we dont all agree on everything anyway!

All due respect. You missed my point. I agree Hughes needs a partner who plays without the puck and does those things. Hronek is a guy who can play with the puck though and he's paid at a level to do so. Theres only 1 puck. If they split them up we will have the puck more and have more pace to play agressive throught our lineup. This I hope makes sense. Hronek just chilling saucing to Hughes is a waste of his talents.  

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

All due respect. You missed my point. I agree Hughes needs a partner who plays without the puck and does those things. Hronek is a guy who can play with the puck though and he's paid at a level to do so. Theres only 1 puck. If they split them up we will have the puck more and have more pace throught our lineup. This I hope makes sense. Hronek just chilling saucing to Hughes is a waste of his talents.  

Totally agree with you Hammer.

Start paying D-men over 6-7 million bucks and you want them on a line if their own, if not carrying it, being the catalyst. 

A balanced top 4 would be 

Hughes...insert partner who shows most chemistry, though Hughes is a player that can drive a line, and make a player better.

Second pairing

Insert player.....Hronek 

I don't have access to the stats of players that played with Hronek when he wasn't paired with Hughes.

When you are dealing with a salary cap, having  close to 16,000,000 tied up on your top pairing, then having to play D-men whose value to the team is between 1 - 3 -4 mill in the bottom 4 ?

That's not a balanced line-up. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

All due respect. You missed my point. I agree Hughes needs a partner who plays without the puck and does those things. Hronek is a guy who can play with the puck though and he's paid at a level to do so. Theres only 1 puck. If they split them up we will have the puck more and have more pace to play agressive throught our lineup. This I hope makes sense. Hronek just chilling saucing to Hughes is a waste of his talents.  

Hammertime, I totally get your point but its just that. Hughes needs someone he can trust so that when he loses it he is not chasing his own mistake all the way to Demko or Silovs.

Hronek with Hughes was that dependable guy sitting back. So was Juulsen is all I am saying. However, In the playoffs Hronek was trying too hard and it made twice the work for Hughes.

The reason Myers was looking so bad before Tocc was not only lack of goaltending, but playing him with another puck moving defensmen, whether it was hughes or OEL.

Really I want a quiet, hard hitting guy who is responsible beside each one of Hughes, Hronek, Myers, Wolanin, and Willinger. Forget the left side/right side arguments....

Just need someone who wants to be the backup, the blocker, the hitter, the break out passer, no flash and dash. Soucy, Cole and Jewels, Woo and Dpetey are all like that. And who knows, maybe we have two of those in our untested RFA pickups... I think we do.

Just my opinion and thoughts... I am ok if I a wrong in a year!!

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Totally agree with you Hammer.

Start paying D-men over 6-7 million bucks and you want them on a line if their own, if not carrying it, being the catalyst. 

A balanced top 4 would be 

Hughes...insert partner who shows most chemistry, though Hughes is a player that can drive a line, and make a player better.

Second pairing

Insert player.....Hronek 

I don't have access to the stats of players that played with Hronek when he wasn't paired with Hughes.

When you are dealing with a salary cap, having  close to 16,000,000 tied up on your top pairing, then having to play D-men whose value to the team is between 1 - 3 -4 mill in the bottom 4 ?

That's not a balanced line-up. 

Its kinda funny that we all say things different ways, do the math differently, but all get to the same place. Its the eye test.

Hronek did not look good with Zadorov. But looked good with Soucy. With Jewels, Hughes didn't miss a beat, but Juulson needs to read when Hughes wants to switch sides and follow suit instead of going to hit the guy who is on Huggys tail.

Myers looked good with everyone, to be honest. When he didnt have anyone to pass to when killing penalty he just went and scored. Twice.

And paired with Cole or Soucy, both guys he trusted defensively behind him he had a great year.

Line ups?

I have no idea, because I am obviously wrong? I wanted Woo with Hughes as a trial. Juuls with Hughes is already proven awesome too, pounding hits in the dzone, but should back off in the Ozone.

But we need some left reliable guys to pair with Hronek, Myers, so they can use their tools . DPetey is going to fit on the Left and would be amazing with Myers.

I dont know what the two new guys play like yet, they are not exactly Offensive Juggernauts, so if they can both play left, give the smaller one to Hronek and the twin towers on the 3rd pair.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Its kinda funny that we all say things different ways, do the math differently, but all get to the same place. Its the eye test.

Hronek did not look good with Zadorov. But looked good with Soucy. With Jewels, Hughes didn't miss a beat, but Juulson needs to read when Hughes wants to switch sides and follow suit instead of going to hit the guy who is on Huggys tail.

Myers looked good with everyone, to be honest. When he didnt have anyone to pass to when killing penalty he just went and scored. Twice.

And paired with Cole or Soucy, both guys he trusted defensively behind him he had a great year.

Line ups?

I have no idea, because I am obviously wrong? I wanted Woo with Hughes as a trial. Juuls with Hughes is already proven awesome too, pounding hits in the dzone, but should back off in the Ozone.

But we need some left reliable guys to pair with Hronek, Myers, so they can use their tools . DPetey is going to fit on the Left and would be amazing with Myers.

I dont know what the two new guys play like yet, they are not exactly Offensive Juggernauts, so if they can both play left, give the smaller one to Hronek and the twin towers on the 3rd pair.

I am not saying you are wrong mate. 

As you state, we all seem to be coming to the same conclusion. 

First pairing of 

Hughes....?????

Second pairing of 

?????.......Hronek 

With Hughes in the first PP unit

Hronek on the second. 

For starters I am hoping that Soucy plays a lot more than the 40 games he played last year. 

I have a great deal of trust in Foote and Gonchar to not only coach the players individually, but also determine who the best defensive pairings will be.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...