Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Odd.

56 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Yea. Okay. I get it. This could still go awry.

But really, do you think it's gonna be as bad as the JB Adam Clendening trade bust? 

More like the Gudbranson trade, worst case scenario. Though I wouldn’t worry about it turning into that lol

Edited by Odd.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd rather have kept the picks but we'll see how he looks over the course of a larger sample size

Gotta give to get at the end of the day, I just hope it ends up having been worth it 

If Hronek was in his 30s I'd be worried. But at 25 and under a good system and with some support? I like our chances of this working out. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Odd. said:

Last thread had 49 pages. 

Yeah anyways I can’t belieeeeeeeeeeeve we traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for Hronek 🤪🤪🤪

Hroneck is top 15 RD only 25 years old? Cost if you want a talent like him is 1st rounder and 2nd rounder?

Good trade young and bright future #2 guy lots of talent..

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Odd. said:

See here’s the thing. I don’t like it. He’s below average defensively up until last season, and quite frankly, played better with a good defensive partner in Maata. We’re relying on him to carry the 2nd pair with a defenseman who will most likely be playing top 4 minutes for the first time in his career in Soucy.

We could have drafted a really good player with the 17th, and perhaps used a different 1st for someone like Pesce, who is a much better defender. 

The idea of trading a 1st isn’t the biggest issue, it’s the quality coming back. I’m hoping Hronek proves me wrong but he doesn’t seem like the type of defenseman this team needs.

Very good trade for talented Hronek 25 - 6'0 - RD has lots of talent..

You don't get a talent like Hronek 25 for anything less then 1st rounder and 2nd rounder..

Drafting how many don't turn out? Canucks needed top #2 D man now, no player ready to take #2 D man spot....Hronek  RD

Did we forget how hard it is to find talented RD man under 26??

can't wait for 2022 pick takes -3 -4 years

Canucks needed top. D man like Hronek PP-- PK and regular shift.. 22--25 mins.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Iron Man said:

At the time, it appeared as if management was indecisive about the direction of the team. For a second, we were all thinking rebuild but then suddenly NOPE. I'll reserve judgement until after seeing a sufficient sample size of Hronek, but ASP would have been nice (assuming that's who we would've drafted).

The tear-down rebuild was never on the table. It was a stupid narrative perpetuated by media clowns. When Rutherford and Allvin came in, they asked all the players with NTCs to submit their lists of teams so they could identify possible trade partners and to see what other teams thought of our players value-wise. They identified the core (albeit, with Bo over JT at the time) and suggested that some big names would be moved. After that the media pushed a full rebuild and fans bought in.  Fans even started turning on players for the sake of other players. The most obvious one was Bo vs Miller.

We made the trade with NY because that was the highest 1st round pick offered up. The plan was always to flip it for a RHD. Detroit was not shopping Hronek. Allvin recognized that they were taking a step back that season, so he made them an offer. The possibility of an unprotected 2024 1st probably played into it.

I am happy with the deal.

• Vintage 1

Yes, generally happy with the trade, but we haven't really seen enough to fairly comment on it. If Hronek becomes a #1RD or #2RD for this team for an extended period, then it's a big win for us as there are very few guarantees in any draft and although it sucked to give up a First Round pick as part of this, top 4 capable Right Defense are not easy to develop or acquire through trade and you're always going to pay a bit of a premium for one.

As long as he fits into the role here and team style of play, then yeah, big fan of the trade, was a swing for the fences moment by Allvin.

Let's wait until we actually see him play a stretch of games.

Given the direction of the team, it was the right move.

However.. I would have rather torn this team to the studs, moved even more players out for picks, and dominate the draft floor. 

I'm really tired of being an average, or even below average team. The fact we have next to 0 dominant game changing prospects coming is disheartening. 

I mean, he could crash out just like anyone else, but if he plays at a similar level to what he was in Detroit, no one should be unhappy. It'll depend on how he meshes and with whom for how well he does, but he is not a player I'm worried about for what the trade cost and his cap hit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I mean, he could crash out just like anyone else, but if he plays at a similar level to what he was in Detroit, no one should be unhappy. It'll depend on how he meshes and with whom for how well he does, but he is not a player I'm worried about for what the trade cost and his cap hit.

Nice to see you here!

At this point, we wouldn't have the draft pick anymore. So it's kind of a question of, would you prefer to have Hronek who is an NHL top 4 d-man already, but does need an extension and likely a big raise at the end of the year, and may have some injury issues... vs would you rather we have someone like Sandin-Pelikka in our prospect pool, coming in on an entry level deal within the next few years, but is in no way a lock to make the league or become the player that Hronek is... but on the flip side, could be even better if developed correctly (lot of risk there).

At this point, based on what the team is trying to do, I'd rather have Hronek. And I hated the deal. 

Edited by awalk

On 9/20/2023 at 7:28 AM, Sativika said:

Yea. Okay. I get it. This could still go awry.

But really, do you think it's gonna be as bad as the JB Adam Clendening trade bust? 

The issue with Clendenning is that everything suggested it was a good trade until it wasn't.  A larger Forsling but an RHD that did well in a boston college system.  Was uber productive in a questionable Chicago farm team system.  But just couldn't put it together outside of the AHL.

I still have no idea how that trade went so sideways with Forsling finally settling in and doing well in Florida but Clendenning with all the hallmarks of a puck moving RHD just failing to make it work even after being given endless attempts with numerous teams.

I stand by my every statement about this.

Every team in the league knew Vancouver was over the barrel in need of RHD and Yzerman took complete advantage of that and the timing of the trade at the TDL to maximize the return on a player with questionable injury issues to a shoulder that has seen some battering.  For me the timing was questionable and I think Yzerman knew that Hroneks shoulder was a bit more beat up than was admitted to.

Hronek is gonna get paid.  There's no question about this.  He knows if he continues his trajectory that vancouver is gonna have to pay him.  His next contract should give everyone pause because if he comes as labeled and is healthy he's an $8 million defenseman based simply on our lack of a player like him at his position 

His health is questionable.  We've seen endless players never recover properly from injuries in this league.  I need to see him play and stay healthy.  That's it.  This trade could still go either way and that's it.  We have no idea what we have with him under a Tocchet system and an insane hockey market.  Until we see him game in and game out for a season and healthy he could be as much of an Ehrhoff for us as he could be a Salo.  Both in terms of production and health.

Hronek is and always has been a wait and see trade.  That's it.

• Like 1

I stand by everything I said. Everything!

There's a lot of positive with the Hronek deal and I am representing that. And I do believe everything will be ok and I'm saying that. Especially given how much smarter decisions are finally being made with the team, coaching, and farm system. 

Hronek is a Top 4, young, an RHD and he wasn't coming cheap. He fits with our core and is exactly what people were crying for at the old forum. Crying, whining about for months.

We paid a 1st and 2nd ... if you remember, Podz and Hogs were a 1st and 2nd ... and 4 years later haven't been able to land a spot on the roster.

We're going for it now with this core and Hronek makes our blueline a helluva lot better.

The thing is for me ...I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his established talent, skill, his production, his big leap forward last year, and history of already being in the league. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

Also given how he's exactly what we needed in a young Top 4 RHD with a great shot who plays a good physical game with pushback. In my eyes, not being happy doesn't make any sense when he's what people were wanting.

That said, he is recovering from an injury. And ... he's obviously in better shape. But he's had a lot of time to recover and we all know players bounce back from injuries all the time. But there is legit reason for hesitation on that and I get that. 

It's just too easy to sit back and judge then pounce on him negatively if he struggles, making him a scapegoat. 

Of course we're all waiting and seeing. I mean, that's what we'll all be doing anyway no matter what happens. Yes, he was injured. Sure, that hesitation is fair and legit.

What I don't think is fair is to say ... give him 20 games, give him 40 games, keep setting benchmarks, moving goal posts, and then if he does well, immediately find the negative at the end of the season in what his next contract will cost. It's like waiting to see if he's any good ... but if he is, it's still going to be negative anyway. That's just being negative.

The fact is ... Hronek's a good Dman. It's not what I say ... he already is that. That's been evident in all the highlight videos posted in the previous thread. That's been my point all along.

Happy Hronek, everyone!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I liked this trade when it happened and i like it more now. Does anyone even know the names of that players Detroit drafted? Who cares, they'll likely never be as good as Hronek and even if they are, they'll wait 5 years before they make the same impact.

Great move by Patrick 'All-in' Allvin. All the chips are in. Who's the chipmonks now, huh? Chip-hunks more like it.  🐿️ 🏋️‍♂️

Yeah, the thread aged poorly. He's been the first guy who has complimented Hughes properly since Tanev. Still, I imagine management would prefer to bring in another player to fill that role, allowing Hronek to be the force on a 2nd pairing. Just so happens we have a glut of wingers, so...

• Haha 1