Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Odd.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

We as a group on the CDC, begged, pleaded, cried and lamented and created 1 million threads about how we'd obtain a coveted, solid  top four RHD.   Then we went out and got a legit top pairing RHD (at the right age too!).    And it cost us not doing the same damn thing, 8.5 x 8!!!  Zero complaints at the time other than maybe mentioning it meant we won't be tanking or blowing things up, which also didn't seem like the right time either given we have EP, QHs, Demko, Miller, depth on the wings etc. 

A blowup was never an option. 

What's been nice lately is the critique from that pov has calmed down.

The team isn't quite there yet but you can see the plan now.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Yes.   It's nice to see.   Allvin is also leaving doors open.   Just hope he doesn't waste the cap that soon will be clearing.   A little Stockholm syndrome in that regard.  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Hoping this becomes a bit like the Burrows thread, with the difference that this take wasn't at all unpopular at the time. So far, this trade reminds me of the Miller trade. Trade away a big future asset, but returns seem to be much greater than what we gave up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yes, precisely.

People foaming at the mouth for a full rebuild couldn't understand that management was never going to do that with Petey and Hughes entering their primes. If you wanted a tear-down, Petey and Hughes were going to go down with it - that was just the reality. So unless you really believed losing Petey and Hughes would be worth a rebuild, then the occurrence of one was nothing but an unrealistic pipe dream. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

One issue for me at the outset of all this was (and still is) ...

People's unfamiliarity with Hronek wasn't cause or justification for negativity. Just because they didn't know him or his skill level didn't mean it called for negativity.

The first four pages of the original thread were all negative, which shouldn't have been the narrative whatsoever with a guy like this. Especially since he's exactly what people were begging for and calling for management to acquire. We were getting exactly what we were asking for.

Hronek was a great Dman for Detroit and well worth what we paid for him given we are going for it in the Petey/Hughes/Demko window. 

The skepticism was understandable given how most didn't know who he was. Caution given the injury was also understandable. But neither of those took away his known skill and talent. He was a top pairing Dman who was getting better into his prime. And if we were serious about competing and contending, we needed a top guy like Hronek.

I get why people were pissed about the picks but we weren't rebuilding. JR/PA made that known, so the move to get Hronek not only made complete sense in the plan to compete now but also made us better, legitimately on the blueline as a top pairing or split option with Hronek on the second pair.

And if you look at top contending teams, they're paying priority on D. They have an elite Dman getting elite money with a couple other Dmen commanding somewhere between $5-6.5 mill. So, giving Hronek a raise won't be out of step with what contending teams are doing. 

He's obviously looked very good, not just with Hughes but also on the PK. I wonder if or when Tocchet will shake things up and separate the two top defencemen? We've been so strong but you know when injuries hit we'll have to separate them. Soucy is down now but we can cope with that, it'll just be more strain on Cole and Myers to play with AHLers, but if we lost one of Myers or Cole then you know Hronek is going to have to command his own pairing. He did struggle in pre-season when paired with an AHLer to be fair.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:06 PM, Strawbone said:

Anyone that is still not happy with this trade is a big dumb poo poo head. 

I agree. And I would even go further. I would say the same (maybe not the precise wording) about all those whose knee jerk reactions to the trade were the usual: "Waaaa! Never heard of the guy! How stupid to throw away precious draft picks for other teams' castoffs!"

On 11/14/2023 at 4:25 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's obviously looked very good, not just with Hughes but also on the PK. I wonder if or when Tocchet will shake things up and separate the two top defencemen? We've been so strong but you know when injuries hit we'll have to separate them. Soucy is down now but we can cope with that, it'll just be more strain on Cole and Myers to play with AHLers, but if we lost one of Myers or Cole then you know Hronek is going to have to command his own pairing. He did struggle in pre-season when paired with an AHLer to be fair.

Yeah Soucy going down will be a good test to see what our D looks like when there is some stress put on it. 

Itll also be a good gauge to see what Hronek's next contract will look like. If Hronek can carry a pairing on his own, give the man his money. 

If he falters a bit, then we know he's at his best with Quinn (which is fine) and that should factor in negotiations as well. 

But also a good affirmation that we need another solid top 4 d man. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah Soucy going down will be a good test to see what our D looks like when there is some stress put on it. 

Itll also be a good gauge to see what Hronek's next contract will look like. If Hronek can carry a pairing on his own, give the man his money. 

If he falters a bit, then we know he's at his best with Quinn (which is fine) and that should factor in negotiations as well. 

But also a good affirmation that we need another solid top 4 d man. 

Yeah exactly this, he didn't look great in pre-season carrying a pairing with a much lesser partner but we'll see how he goes now (if Tocchet does decide to split them which I don't think he will unless we go down a top-4 defenceman).

If we lose Cole or Myers then I think we'll have no choice but I think during the Soucy injury he'll just run Hughes-Hronek hard into the ground and hope Cole and Myers can vaguely play with some AHLers for a bit.

• Cheers 1

So, Tocchet has already been splitting up Hronek and Hughes when needed. 

Hughes has even said Hronek is the best defenseman he's played with in his career. That would also certainly apply to some degree to our other D men if they get paired with Hronek.

Like Hughes, Hronek will likely make the other guys better. And with Foote and Gonchar at the D helm, that should give added confidence. 

What's interesting about Hronek is that he has a calm, stabilizing and smart defensive influence to his game - which was unexpected - as well as being an offensive playmaking contributor and goal threat, which we really haven't seen yet. 

• Cheers 1

Honestly was not a fan of the trade at the time, seemed like moving Bo out signaled a step back and then the step back was undone with this trade. I didn't see the direction the team was going. But oh man has Hronek delivered! We finally have a legitimate #2 dman to play with Quinn. In combination with Miller really solidifying at center, the trade was exactly what the team needed to move forward in a big way. This team really has almost all the pieces it needs now and it's a heck of a fun ride.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Shoulder looked fine on that one-timer last night. I didn't think yzerman would trade a guy who wasn't on the decline or whose game had some flaws but at the moment yzerman believers like me look very incorrect. I did see some terrible passes by him in the leafs game but so was everyone. We'll see but so far he looks like a keeper.

19 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Honestly was not a fan of the trade at the time, seemed like moving Bo out signaled a step back and then the step back was undone with this trade. I didn't see the direction the team was going. But oh man has Hronek delivered! We finally have a legitimate #2 dman to play with Quinn. In combination with Miller really solidifying at center, the trade was exactly what the team needed to move forward in a big way. This team really has almost all the pieces it needs now and it's a heck of a fun ride.

We have our version of Toews and Makar, only our version is leading the league in points and +/- and we're first in the West.

• Like 1