Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Odd.

So, last night Hronek has that 107mph shot on his goal and also tied the longest point streak by a Canucks defenseman. 

Lol ... At this point you have to ask anyone still waiting and seeing ... what would a Dman have to do, what would it take for them to uncross their arms, and what are they waiting for that's better than what Hronek has been doing for us?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So, last night Hronek has that 107mph shot on his goal and also tied the longest point streak by a Canucks defenseman. 

Lol ... At this point you have to ask anyone still waiting and seeing ... what would a Dman have to do, what would it take for them to uncross their arms, and what are they waiting for that's better than what Hronek has been doing for us?

Not just that,  but Hronek is the largest difference from last year to this year and thus the biggest part of the change from bottom feeder team to league leader team. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Not just that,  but Hronek is the largest difference from last year to this year and thus the biggest part of the change from bottom feeder team to league leader team. 

Vancouver was right in the middle defensively in advanced statistics last season… we were dead fucking last by a long shot between the pipes. Worst GSAA and lots of medium/low danger goals against.

IMG_1193.thumb.png.882fbea0423061bbed78f902963a1d1c.pngIMG_1192.thumb.png.cc85a24d90577299ff28b2a8d05ff0b0.png

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Vancouver was right in the middle defensively in advanced statistics last season… we were dead fucking last by a long shot between the pipes. Worst GSAA and lots of medium/low danger goals against.

IMG_1193.thumb.png.882fbea0423061bbed78f902963a1d1c.pngIMG_1192.thumb.png.cc85a24d90577299ff28b2a8d05ff0b0.png

And yet.  Same starting goaltender.  So more defensive support for Demko and more backup support for Demko has netted much better goalkeeper performance.  Demko is playing better sure.  And desmith is playing better then Martin.  But how much of that is a more settled and improved defence?  

29 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

And yet.  Same starting goaltender.  So more defensive support for Demko and more backup support for Demko has netted much better goalkeeper performance.  Demko is playing better sure.  And desmith is playing better then Martin.  But how much of that is a more settled and improved defence?  

Demko pre injury was trash last year. One of the worst goalies. He was battling injury. He returned and was one of the top goalies and we were one of the hottest teams down the stretch yet again. 2021-22 was consistent all season. What fucked us in 2021-22 was Pettersson taking 40 games to get going. He was pointless in 24 of the first 40 games. 3 multi point games during the first half. He caught fire and as a whole team the final 38 games we saw what this team truly was capable of and thats half a bloody season, thats not a fluke, that was the raw potential of this team, as long as everyone could put it all together at the same time and be consistent…. Welcome to the 2023-24 season where everyone was at camp early and ready to rock and roll anyone in its path.

This was the lesson Petey learned, he showed up to camp last minute in 2021-22 and had a horrendous first half. After that he was here early last summer and once again this summer as was everyone else.

Our stars are playing like stars. Thats the biggest difference 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 1

Why do people talk about band wagons like it's a badge of honour?. I watched every game during the shit years and turned it off early, pissed off by the effort and the reffing. Felling completey duped that i wasted 2 hours on that garbage. I don't blame those bandwagons for not wanting to watch a team coached by Willie Desjardins or Travis Green. I'll never get that time back, that was garbage hockey .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Happy for the trade, scared of the contract

If he keeps this up, he'll be worth it. We just need to be efficient in the other parts of our cap.

Here's hoping Abbotsford can send up some ELC reinforcements in the next 2-3 years. 

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, DSVII said:

If he keeps this up, he'll be worth it. We just need to be efficient in the other parts of our cap.

Here's hoping Abbotsford can send up some ELC reinforcements in the next 2-3 years. 

With the OEL cap hit hitting us hard in the next few years this management group is 100% banking on this team having some good ELC's

1 hour ago, Rob Eh said:

Why do people talk about band wagons like it's a badge of honour?. I watched every game during the shit years and turned it off early, pissed off by the effort and the reffing. Felling completey duped that i wasted 2 hours on that garbage. I don't blame those bandwagons for not wanting to watch a team coached by Willie Desjardins or Travis Green. I'll never get that time back, that was garbage hockey .

Wrong thread. Sorry. Thought it was GDT.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

2 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

I guess it depends on what you define as a bandwagoner really. Does it mean if someone doesn't watch the Canucks, they're off of the bandwagon? Does it mean they stop cheering for the Canucks altogether? There's a large variety of possibilities here.

I would argue that you were still on the bandwagon even during the down times. Why? Because you got frustrated when they were losing. You felt the lose as I'm sure most fans felt.

However, if you had stopped cheering for the Canucks altogether, perhaps cheered for another team instead, then it would be hard to argue that you had stayed on that bandwagon.

In the end though, the term "bandwagon" is just a made-up term really.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The Lock said:

I guess it depends on what you define as a bandwagoner really. Does it mean if someone doesn't watch the Canucks, they're off of the bandwagon? Does it mean they stop cheering for the Canucks altogether? There's a large variety of possibilities here.

I would argue that you were still on the bandwagon even during the down times. Why? Because you got frustrated when they were losing. You felt the lose as I'm sure most fans felt.

However, if you had stopped cheering for the Canucks altogether, perhaps cheered for another team instead, then it would be hard to argue that you had stayed on that bandwagon.

In the end though, the term "bandwagon" is just a made-up term really.

True, I will never quit the Canucks, i'll never root for another team, i was born in their first season, early in '71. My dads favourite player, Rosey Paiemont, scored 4 goals the day i was born, first Canuck to do it.

I'm glad i Stuck through all those tough years. I've become pretty jaded by the league but thats part of being a Canucks fan. I could write a book on how many times the league screwed the Canucks in a multitude of ways. You can feel the change this year though. Smart, experienced people running the team on the bench and the front office and they're just getting started.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

True, I will never quit the Canucks, i'll never root for another team, i was born in their first season, early in '71. My dads favourite player, Rosey Paiemont, scored 4 goals the day i was born, first Canuck to do it.

I'm glad i Stuck through all those tough years. I've become pretty jaded by the league but thats part of being a Canucks fan. I could write a book on how many times the league screwed the Canucks in a multitude of ways. You can feel the change this year though. Smart, experienced people running the team on the bench and the front office and they're just getting started.

Would say any fan, who lived through even just the peak Sedin era to now, has for a pretty healthy dose of suffrage.    Write a book absolutely.  A lot of heartache along the way.    JBs group at least drafted us EP, QHs, a number one goalie (remember the goalie graveyard between McLean and Luongo?  yuck!),  traded for Miller and got some decent support players.    Nice to have a management group that can finish the job and not ruin any chances we had with this core.    And that's actually made logical, sensical moves and signings!   Kuzmenko, Ilya Mikheyev (debateable, but can see why they did that),  Soucy, Cole, Hronek, Bluegar, Suter and even Brocks deal ... not much to complain about there.  

This team is close.   Hope they can pull a couple Quin like rabbits out of their hats.     We have the foundation, and most of the house built.   Just needs the finishes.. and playoff reps.  Something I could complain about until the cows come home as a result of expansion. 

Edit:  As for fair weather fans ... Wouldn't say anyone who's on this site are in that group.     Bandwaggoners are fans who only follow the team, when they are good.   Usually come from fairweather group.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

And that's actually made logical, sensical moves and signings!   Kuzmenko, Ilya Mikheyev (debateable, but can see why they did that),  Soucy, Cole, Hronek, Bluegar, Suter and even Brocks deal ... not much to complain about there.  

How the hell is Mik debatable? Massive element missing from the roster... FAST, 2 way top 6 skill level support guy with size, that can PK. We need a 2nd "Mik" to bump PDG down to the bottom 6 where he belongs, not "debatably" one less.

The only thing debatable about it, was not "Bjorkstrand'ing" Garland and his cap when we had the chance, to clear the required cap and winger roster space.

Edited by aGENT

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

How the hell is Mik debatable? Massive element missing from the roster... FAST, 2 way top 6 skill level support guy with size, that can PK. We need a 2nd "Mik" to bump PDG down to the bottom 6 where he belongs, not "debatably" one less.

The only thing debatable about it, was not "Bjorkstrand'ing" Garland and his cap when we had the chance, to clear the required cap and winger roster space.

When was there a real chance to move Garland? Haven't they been trying since last year?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The problem with this line of thinking is, because it didn't happen, we'll never know if it was even an option to begin with. Not only that, even if it was an option, we don't know how serious of an option it would have been. We don't know how serious another team would have been willing to trade for Garland. We, as fans, could of course theorize why a team would want Garland, but that does not make the team actually want Garland.

Just because something's easy to say it does not make it easy to do. 🙂

Edited by The Lock

On 11/13/2023 at 10:59 AM, -AJ- said:

Hoping this becomes a bit like the Burrows thread, with the difference that this take wasn't at all unpopular at the time. So far, this trade reminds me of the Miller trade. Trade away a big future asset, but returns seem to be much greater than what we gave up.

When you say this take wasn't unpopular at the time ... are you saying the popular take was that people were actually happy with Hronek? I don't remember it that way at all.

On 11/9/2023 at 8:57 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Can't believe there is any debate on this.  I saw him at camp and thought he was ridiculously good.  Playing regularly with Hughes will keep him ridiculously good too since he's set up for big money and Hughes will want accountability with his partner.  At 25 the way he's playing, I'm guessing that's a non-issue.  Horvat was good, but Hronek is what we needed.

He is exactly what we needed. A lot of people didn't know who he was that's why there was so much debate.