Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Odd.

Just a small town Hronek
Livin' in a RFA world
He looks for the $8 million train going anywhere
Just a Hronek ploy
Torn between fair and value exploit
He could take that $8 million train going any elsewhere

• Haha 3

Do we all really think he's asking for $8 million? He's still an RFA, not a UFA. 

I think Allvin should just offer him a 2-year "prove it to me" bridge deal at around $6 mil per. 

If his play continues to dip, it's only a 2-year commitment for the Canucks. If he plays so well that he prices himself out of the team the team, then we get 2 years of great production while Hronek can test the open market as a UFA, and Willander should be ready to replace him after the contract is done. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Do we all really think he's asking for $8 million? He's still an RFA, not a UFA. 

I think Allvin should just offer him a 2-year "prove it to me" bridge deal at around $6 mil per. 

If his play continues to dip, it's only a 2-year commitment for the Canucks. If he plays so well that he prices himself out of the team the team, then we get 2 years of great production while Hronek can test the open market as a UFA, and Willander should be ready to replace him after the contract is done. 

Continues to dip ? If he played like he did at the first half all year and playoffs , he'd be worth 9+. This is a gift. So that we can sign him for low to mid 7's. He's 2 years younger than Erhoffs breakout years. 

Oh and his terrible playoffs...

Edited by Blue
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Continues to dip ? If he played like he did at the first half all year and playoffs , he'd be worth 9+. This is a gift. So that we can sign him for low to mid 7's. He's 2 years younger than Erhoffs breakout years. 

Oh and his terrible playoffs...

Hughes is a phenom. He’s the defensive conscious on his pairing while being the top point producing D man in the league. Hronek is the same level as Toews. He accepts that contract or he’s traded for a huge haul. The Empties see a potential return like Boquist and Johnson from CBJ. 

• Like 1

It was a narrative in this market for years that we needed RHD that can play 20+ a night without looking like 2021 Myers. 

Now we have one and all and sundry want to chase him out of town. 8 million is just the same as the 12 million floated out for Petterson. It will be lower than that. 

There is a long list of defensman who get bridged and then take another step and then really hose their team. That should be avoided. 

Jared Mccan was the last player we chased out of town for not having a perky enough personality. So let's not do that again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is a phenom. He’s the defensive conscious on his pairing while being the top point producing D man in the league. Hronek is the same level as Toews. He accepts that contract or he’s traded for a huge haul. The Empties see a potential return like Boquist and Johnson from CBJ. 

If we trade Hronek , our biggest organizational need will be top pairing RHD again. So trades just make no sense.

And it would sure look bad if he traded and signs for 7.3 with another team and then plays like a 9 million dollar defensman for a full season instead of just a half.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I see no scenario where the team trades Hronek. 

This fanbase or market is baffling at times. Scream for a decade for a top four right handed defenseman. Add on in a trade of assets the team acquired for moving a pending free agent who was not going to return. A major positive.

Fans and media are split on if it was a good deal, or sorry not if it was a good deal but the timing of it. The team added the exact player this city has been screaming for.

Fast forward a year and I am starting to think more than half the fans/media are indifferent to Hronek or would welcome him being flipped in a trade. Makes no sense and a fans hockey sense or understanding of player valuations goes out the window when the name Chris Tanev is mentioned. At this point in Tanev's career he would be a lateral add if Myers and or Zadorov did not come back.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

For me, the question is how much Hughes' play falls off with a lesser partner.  If the pairing takes a 10% hit in performance with someone making 3 mil and you get a 1st + for Hronek and 1.5 million in cap, it's probably worth doing it.  Alvin was right to observe that Hronek is going to have to anchor a pair without Hughes some of the time if he sticks around.  Not sure he's up to it. 

As for Hronek himself, he screams attitude problem.  He wasn't hurt.  He doesn't know why his production tanked in the second half.  He doesn't know why people are asking awkward questions.   A lot of intangibles there, and none of them are good.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Blue said:

It was a narrative in this market for years that we needed RHD that can play 20+ a night without looking like 2021 Myers. 

Now we have one and all and sundry want to chase him out of town. 8 million is just the same as the 12 million floated out for Petterson. It will be lower than that. 

There is a long list of defensman who get bridged and then take another step and then really hose their team. That should be avoided. 

Jared Mccan was the last player we chased out of town for not having a perky enough personality. So let's not do that again. 

That's a good reminder. I remember when Seravalli kept touting that Petey would be getting well over 12 million. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

For me, the question is how much Hughes' play falls off with a lesser partner.  If the pairing takes a 10% hit in performance with someone making 3 mil and you get a 1st + for Hronek and 1.5 million in cap, it's probably worth doing it.  Alvin was right to observe that Hronek is going to have to anchor a pair without Hughes some of the time if he sticks around.  Not sure he's up to it. 

As for Hronek himself, he screams attitude problem.  He wasn't hurt.  He doesn't know why his production tanked in the second half.  He doesn't know why people are asking awkward questions.   A lot of intangibles there, and none of them are good.

I agree with much of this. Except see Dan Murhpy's recent tweet on this, which claims that Hronek was fibbing about not being injured:

If it was common knowledge within media circles that H was indeed injured, then that would help explain JPat's exasperation at H's denial when adked if he was injured...

Hronek’s interview started out completely cordial and normal. It wasn’t until pressed on if he wasn’t being forthcoming that he got frustrated. Nothing about his interview suggests he wants out of Vancouver and anyone who is reading into that probably can’t maintain healthy relationships with others. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, syntheticity said:

I agree with much of this. Except see Dan Murhpy's recent tweet on this, which claims that Hronek was fibbing about not being injured:

If it was common knowledge within media circles that H was indeed injured, then that would help explain JPat's exasperation at H's denial when adked if he was injured...

For sure:  He must have been playing hurt for at least some of the second half.  If he wants 8 mil, though, he needs to show a bit more than he did.  He seems to want to have it all ways:  I wasn't hurt, my production fell off and I want top dollar (otherwise he'd have accepted Alvin's offer).  Something's got to give here.  I don't mind the pushback against toxic JPat but it doesn't make his own position any more viable. 

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

For sure:  He must have been playing hurt for at least some of the second half.  If he wants 8 mil, though, he needs to show a bit more than he did.  He seems to want to have it all ways:  I wasn't hurt, my production fell off and I want top dollar (otherwise he'd have accepted Alvin's offer).  Something's got to give here.  I don't mind the pushback against toxic JPat but it doesn't make his own position any more viable. 

Oh I'm not saying that to defend H or his assumed contract demands. His lack of transparency didn't help his cause or the way he's perceived by many. 

• Cheers 1

If we're looking to trade Hronek for another RD making approximately what he does now (or less) plus additional assets, I wouldn't mind kicking tires on Marino, Durzi, or Larsson  The other team would have to see it as an upgrade, be willing to pay him, and give up something like a second.  We'd have to be convinced the incoming player would fit with Hughes.  The cap we'd save would extend one of Joshua or Zadorov with some left over.  Pro scouting would undoubtedly have better candidates but this kind of deal would make a lot of sense. 

On 5/23/2024 at 6:08 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Hughs is quoted as saying Hronek counts for 5 extra touches of the puck per game for him.

Noah Juulson is the only other RHD we have signed beyond this year. There is no way Alvin expects to get him for 6.5. So it would be far less than 1.5 million in cap space saved by not signing him. The price point is 8 million vs low to mid 7's. At max a minimum salary players worth of cap. So a PDG's worth of cap savings if that.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Hughs is quoted as saying Hronek counts for 5 extra touches of the puck per game for him.

Noah Juulson is the only other RHD we have signed beyond this year. There is no way Alvin expects to get him for 6.5. So it would be far less than 1.5 million in cap space saved by not signing him. The price point is 8 million vs low to mid 7's. At max a minimum salary players worth of cap. So a PDG's worth of cap savings if that.

Okay, that would be 5 extra touches out of how many per game?  I don't know but if it's 50, 5 less would be the 10% decline I was entertaining for a lesser partner. 

As for the rest I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but the 1.5 mil savings that I floated would be the difference between Hronek's current salary and a 3 mil replacement.  I do agree that its probably going to take more than 6.5 mil to sign Hronek which is why trading him becomes a consideration.  Management had their limit for Horvat and they'll have one for Hronek too.

• Cheers 1

On 5/23/2024 at 8:08 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It's obvious he's not a fan of the press.   And to be fair the questions are often idiotic, and not even slightly loaded, full barrels with silly preamble.    End of playoff pressor, the rest of the guys chuckled when it was Hronek's turn to answer, his disdain is right there.   And didn't mind his answers, they were adequate to the line of questioning.

As for his play, like the sign Hronek thread, don't think anyone should get a massive payday, with the same pedigree, after half a season of elite.    A bridge is exactly where they should be going, or a max term deal of 5 years.   What has he done to date, the that Edler , or even Bieksa, Hamhuis, Salo didn't do at somepoint, and what were their deals like?   When you add in the intangibles, don't really care what the press availability or skill levels are like.  Luke Schenn is great with the press, how much is he making? 

• Cheers 2

So I still think it's too early to tell with what will happen regarding his signing. There's obviously the rumours out there of him asking too much, but a lot can happen in a short amount of time.

He's also an RFA so it's not like we have to sign him before July; however it would be nice to know how much we'd have left over in terms of funding for everyone else.

• Cheers 1

Hughes did alright with a fairly affordable Luke Schenn. No reason he couldn’t do just as good with another defensive dman that still has some hands. I’m not interested in Hronek for 7M+. Maybe 6-6.5M 

just qualify him at just over 5m and see what kind of season he can have on a SEPERATE pairing. I would split them up then we don't have to keep Myers that guy has to go unless a hometown 1m deal is coming.

Zadorov if kept should play with Hughes or Hronek. If Hronek and Petey were injured during the year I am surprised the team didn't try to rest them leading up to the playoffs like Lindholm. We had a comfortable spot in the standings and coule have rested them to see if it would help.

If we trade for a RHD's rights before July 1 and sign said player then we should dangle Hronek on the market to see what he might fetch. Say to Carolina for Necas, Scott Morrow and maybe a pick or prospect. Top 4 RHD are a premium and if Carolina is losing Pesce and Burns is only getting older maybe they are interested in H?

On 5/23/2024 at 1:52 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Just a small town Hronek
Livin' in a RFA world
He looks for the $8 million train going anywhere
Just a Hronek ploy
Torn between fair and value exploit
He could take that $8 million train going any elsewhere

To Columbus for Jirecek.

• Cheers 1

On 5/23/2024 at 5:55 PM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I see no scenario where the team trades Hronek. 

This fanbase or market is baffling at times. Scream for a decade for a top four right handed defenseman. Add on in a trade of assets the team acquired for moving a pending free agent who was not going to return. A major positive.

Fans and media are split on if it was a good deal, or sorry not if it was a good deal but the timing of it. The team added the exact player this city has been screaming for.

Fast forward a year and I am starting to think more than half the fans/media are indifferent to Hronek or would welcome him being flipped in a trade. Makes no sense and a fans hockey sense or understanding of player valuations goes out the window when the name Chris Tanev is mentioned. At this point in Tanev's career he would be a lateral add if Myers and or Zadorov did not come back.

Thank you voice of reason.

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Paying anything to roll the dice.

It goes on and on and on and on.

As a big fan I have to upvote this.....even if Don't Stop Believing is way down my list of favorite Journey tunes....

• Cheers 1