[Trade] Mittelstadt to Avs, Byram to Buffalo

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

They've gone through several top 5 picks over the last couple of decades, many of them playing well there, yet they never get any better.  Doesn't seem the right way to me.  They've got all those young stars, but here they are again on the outside looking in and trading another one of those top picks because he gets too expensive and they're still not winning

They need to scrub the stink of a losing culture from the organization.  Mediocrity is tolerated too often and it's become a disease.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

So they should just stop trying and forfeit every remaining game and fold the franchise? 

There are 31 losers in the NHL every year.  Unfortunately the Sabres have turned it into an art form since Pegula bought the franchise.  The Buffalo Bills in the NFL are now a perennial playoff team after a huge streak of futility.  You just keep going until something works.

That all said, I think the coach is coaching for his job for the rest of the season.  He's too cozy with the players and the lack of discipline shows on the ice some games.

What's your take on the trade itself?

Just now, Coconuts said:

What's your take on the trade itself?

I get what the GM is trying to do, and this is the best deal he could find.

The goaltending is inconsistent and the only way to counter that is with solid defence.  The Bruins have been doing that year after year.  They make even shaky goaltenders look good.

The Sabres have tried building their offence over the last decade and that's gotten them nowhere.  May as well take a different approach now that you have the young guns on long term contracts.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What was Mittelstadt's card when he was the same age as Byram and scoring 19 points?

Certainly had his struggles but probably showed a bit more upside than Byram right now.  Yes, Byram was deployed on the wrong side with Johnson and didn't quite fit in long-term with Colorado.... but his injuries are a massive concern.

image.png.e3a07a7d67d259a9151366cf82786a20.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Fahlin is, what, a year or two from UFa status and he'll be Petey level, at least.  Owen power is halfway to ufa almost and he'll be double digit millions most likely.  Bowen Byram is also half way there as well.  And, they're no closer to the playoffs than they were before..........by the time they are a contending team (huge if), these guys are going to take up huge amounts of the cap.  They are like TO, except they don't even make the playoffs 

Dahlin and Power are signed into the early 30's...  Check Capfriendly.

Edited by Sabrefan1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Yes

If the Canucks manage to make the conference final now there's a good chance they wouldn't even be the favourites

Dallas and Colorado look scary, Winnipeg still has cap space to add too

Stankovich might have been the final piece for Dallas. Geezus as if they werent stacked as it is already. Id like to thank our supposed "draft guru" for passing on Stankovich and landing us that bust Klimovich. 

Anyone else think this is an amazing fit for Casey and not so great for Byram?

byram will be what Buffalo number 3 dman maybe they will shelter him to form and then flip him again I just don’t understand the long term fit for Buffalo with power and dahlin 

I see byram has the higher upside but he comes on an unexplainable down year, and he’s had some concerning injuries 

whereas Casey is on a great contract has a much higher floor than byram and a decent ceiling 

and he’s exactly what the aves need 

pretty solid move for aves and a bigger gamble for Buffalo that could be a home run but has a scary side to it in risk 

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Buffalo will never be good. Give us Tuch for a 2nd!

As a closet Buffalo fan, this made me sad. I still believe in them. They do need to start adding some strong vets though. Preferably ones with a winning pedigree. So trading Tuch likely isn't the play. Lol.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

As a closet Buffalo fan, this made me sad. I still believe in them. They do need to start adding some strong vets though. Preferably ones with a winning pedigree. So trading Tuch likely isn't the play. Lol.

Wishful thinking on Tuch for sure 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Anyone else think this is an amazing fit for Casey and not so great for Byram?

byram will be what Buffalo number 3 dman maybe they will shelter him to form and then flip him again I just don’t understand the long term fit for Buffalo with power and dahlin 

I see byram has the higher upside but he comes on an unexplainable down year, and he’s had some concerning injuries 

whereas Casey is on a great contract has a much higher floor than byram and a decent ceiling 

and he’s exactly what the aves need 

pretty solid move for aves and a bigger gamble for Buffalo that could be a home run but has a scary side to it in risk 

The Sabres have 2LDs who have excessive contracts with +++$ and +++term.  I can see them

moving Power, as he doesn't have an NMC with his contract.  I can see them moving Power

and keeping Byram for next season.

Middlestat has 3yrs on Byram and has finally started playing like a high draft pick.  If he performs

well in the playoffs, the Avs will have a tough time signing him for next season.  Byram a high

price for a player that walks at the end of the season.  It might be worth a SC, but is it worth

a SC loss?

59 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I mentioned this is in the Walker thread... but Avs still have $3M in cap space.  Guess who is $3M in cap hit at 50%.  GUENTZEL.

• ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Sabres have 2LDs who have excessive contracts with +++$ and +++term.  I can see them

moving Power, as he doesn't have an NMC with his contract.  I can see them moving Power

and keeping Byram for next season.

Middlestat has 3yrs on Byram and has finally started playing like a high draft pick.  If he performs

well in the playoffs, the Avs will have a tough time signing him for next season.  Byram a high

price for a player that walks at the end of the season.  It might be worth a SC, but is it worth

a SC loss?

You really think they are planning on trading power and banking on byram over him? 

Just now, R3aL said:

You really think they are planning on trading power and banking on byram over him? 

Maybe.  They have Dahlen starting a 11mx8yr contract next season and Power starts his

8.35mx8yr next season as well. Byram's contract makes it $23m on the left side d.

In 2yrs, Byram will likely be looking at a hefty contract when he reaches RFA status.

Just seems like an awful lot for just 3 dmen.

5 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Buffalo Sabres = the opposite of the Edmonton Oilers. They've watched and seen their failures with a forward heavy team, so what do they do? They go heavy on the D core 🤣

Gotta admit.  This did cross my mind also.  It makes sense though since the Sabres haven't had a consistent and/or a good goalie since Ryan Miller. 

Looks like they're going to be emulating the Bruins now.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Gotta admit.  This did cross my mind also.  It makes sense though since the Sabres haven't had a consistent and/or a good goalie since Ryan Miller. 

Looks like they're going to be emulating the Bruins now.

As much as I dislike the Bruins, that's not a bad model to mirror. The D core and some of the high end offensive talent/prospects are all still quite young in Buffalo. If the pieces click/develop as expected, that's going to be a tough team to play against.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I get what the GM is trying to do, and this is the best deal he could find.

The goaltending is inconsistent and the only way to counter that is with solid defence.  The Bruins have been doing that year after year.  They make even shaky goaltenders look good.

The Sabres have tried building their offence over the last decade and that's gotten them nowhere.  May as well take a different approach now that you have the young guns on long term contracts.

What's your take on Levi? Do you think he will be able to stabilize the position?

9 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

So they should just stop trying and forfeit every remaining game and fold the franchise? 

There are 31 losers in the NHL every year.  Unfortunately the Sabres have turned it into an art form since Pegula bought the franchise.  The Buffalo Bills in the NFL are now a perennial playoff team after a huge streak of futility.  You just keep going until something works.

That all said, I think the coach is coaching for his job for the rest of the season.  He's too cozy with the players and the lack of discipline shows on the ice some games.

I love this trade for the Sabres.  

How quickly we forget that Bowen Byram was leading the Avs in 5 on 5 minutes by the end of their Stanley Cup run. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

What's your take on Levi? Do you think he will be able to stabilize the position?

I get the same feelings with Levi that I got when I drooled over Demko when he got into the league years ago.  Unfortunately, it looks like he's going to be emulating Demko in needing a couple of years of seasoning before he's ready to consistently perform in the NHL.

He's rocking along in his rookie year playing in the AHL with a .926 SV% and a GAA of 2.53    Ukka-Pekka Luukkonen has settled down lately is holding down the NHL front and could very well be tough for Levi to surpass when he does back come up.