[Trade] Mittelstadt to Avs, Byram to Buffalo

Not sure why Buffalo make this deal unless they're going to flip Byram to someone else in the next few days or get one of these guys to play on their off-side. Dahlin and Power are already two of the best young LDs in the league.

Big win for the Avs who go and get Walker to instantly replace Byram's minutes. Casey is a perfect 2C but can play on the wing too and is still only 25 years old so great move for the next few years and you never know, it looks like he's breaking out now but could easily keep piling on the points in his late 20s.

6 minutes ago, tas said:

gasp! I bet the management groups of each team didn't even glance at these stupid graphics before making the deal. how could they?!

In fairness to him, this is what happens when you play the wrong side with someone like... Jack Johnson.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

BUF is certainly building the right way if they're building from the back end out.

Agreed, I wouldn't be surprise to see them make the playoffs next season if they can implement better defensive systems 

47 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Wow, I would have thought Byram would have been an untouchable. Not that far removed from being a 4th overall pick.

Injuries are an issue risky move by the Sabres, but ton of potential in Byram as well still 

30 minutes ago, HKSR said:

BUF is certainly building the right way if they're building from the back end out.

For decades and never get any better.  Is it really the best way?

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

They've had two 1st OA defencemen, and now a 4th OA defenceman for decades? 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

They've had two 1st OA defencemen, and now a 4th OA defenceman for decades? 

They've gone through several top 5 picks over the last couple of decades, many of them playing well there, yet they never get any better.  Doesn't seem the right way to me.  They've got all those young stars, but here they are again on the outside looking in and trading another one of those top picks because he gets too expensive and they're still not winning

42 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure why Buffalo make this deal unless they're going to flip Byram to someone else in the next few days or get one of these guys to play on their off-side. Dahlin and Power are already two of the best young LDs in the league.

Big win for the Avs who go and get Walker to instantly replace Byram's minutes. Casey is a perfect 2C but can play on the wing too and is still only 25 years old so great move for the next few years and you never know, it looks like he's breaking out now but could easily keep piling on the points in his late 20s.

If you have inconsistent goaltending, your only option is to make your defence better. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They've gone through several top 5 picks over the last couple of decades, many of them playing well there, yet they never get any better.  Doesn't seem the right way to me.  They've got all those young stars, but here they are again on the outside looking in and trading another one of those top picks because he gets too expensive and they're still not winning

In this argument, it doesn't matter.  Those other years, they haven't built from the back out with two 1st OA picks and 4th OA pick.  That's why I'm saying they appear to be building the right way now (from the back end out).  The past has no correlation to what they've got moving forward with this group of elite young defencemen.

Just now, HKSR said:

In this argument, it doesn't matter.  Those other years, they haven't built from the back out with two 1st OA picks and 4th OA pick.  That's why I'm saying they appear to be building the right way now (from the back end out).  The past has no correlation to what they've got moving forward with this group of elite young defencemen.

Fahlin is, what, a year or two from UFa status and he'll be Petey level, at least.  Owen power is halfway to ufa almost and he'll be double digit millions most likely.  Bowen Byram is also half way there as well.  And, they're no closer to the playoffs than they were before..........by the time they are a contending team (huge if), these guys are going to take up huge amounts of the cap.  They are like TO, except they don't even make the playoffs 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

So they should just stop trying and forfeit every remaining game and fold the franchise? 

There are 31 losers in the NHL every year.  Unfortunately the Sabres have turned it into an art form since Pegula bought the franchise.  The Buffalo Bills in the NFL are now a perennial playoff team after a huge streak of futility.  You just keep going until something works.

That all said, I think the coach is coaching for his job for the rest of the season.  He's too cozy with the players and the lack of discipline shows on the ice some games.

Weird trade tbh. I guess both teams see something in their past players they didn't like

I don't watch Col much but perhaps Byram has shied away from being physical given his history of concussions, or perhaps he's just not developing the way they thought.

I am not a fan of Middlestadt. Putting up good numbers but soft and a permiter player. He can succeed in Col because of their talent but not the player I would have wanted back. But, I also don't know why they chose to move Byram

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Fahlin is, what, a year or two from UFa status and he'll be Petey level, at least.  Owen power is halfway to ufa almost and he'll be double digit millions most likely.  Bowen Byram is also half way there as well.  And, they're no closer to the playoffs than they were before..........by the time they are a contending team (huge if), these guys are going to take up huge amounts of the cap.  They are like TO, except they don't even make the playoffs 

Except they're defencemen.  They're not like TO at all.  Between those 3 guys, 1 of them will be on the ice the entire game.