[Trade] Mittelstadt to Avs, Byram to Buffalo

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

I love this trade for the Sabres.  

How quickly we forget that Bowen Byram was leading the Avs in 5 on 5 minutes by the end of their Stanley Cup run. 

And a decent D-Man is like money in the bank.  If he won't fit into the cap, and the money needs to be spent elsewhere, then they can flip him in a trade with a defence hungry team next year.  He could be in Vancouver sometime next season if that's the route that this goes.

• Like 1

O' I love this trade.

Byram played behind Devon Toews & was expendable with Girard being the next puck mover. The risk is his injury history, but he is a high end athlete. A Mr fundamental skill set. Steady Eddy, who can skate, pass, can run a PP if Dahlin is hurt, win shifts against opponents top lines in their end. A 5 on 5 beast!

I personally believe Buffalo played Mittlesteadts value up by giving him top minutes and opportunities. Great talent, not a great athlete? Dylan Cozens has already shown he can do what exactly Casey did offensively at 2C. Is better, faster, bigger, stronger which bodes well in matchups, even if he scores the same!  He just takes over while Byram was a desperately needed boost to a young D core who's best prospect is Ryan Johnson. And it actually drops off deep from there steeply.

Meanwhile they are gobs loaded with offensive young forward prospects; Peterka, Benson, Kulich, Isaak Rosen, Jack Quinn, Anton Wahlberg, defensive fwd Noah Ostlund.

They will not have any trouble replacing Casey M's scoring. 

I also like it for Colorado considering they grabbed Walker? An under the radar great trade by Buffalo!

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Maybe.  They have Dahlen starting a 11mx8yr contract next season and Power starts his

8.35mx8yr next season as well. Byram's contract makes it $23m on the left side d.

In 2yrs, Byram will likely be looking at a hefty contract when he reaches RFA status.

Just seems like an awful lot for just 3 dmen.

I agree I just think Power has size and a different game to offer and his contract could age super well whereas byram will either miss or if He hits his next contracts going to be lofty.

It’s also kinda rare for 1st overalls to get traded early.  

mayve they think they can rebuild his value and he anchors a third pair behind them and they could evaluate or make another trade later

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

I agree I just think Power has size and a different game to offer and his contract could age super well whereas byram will either miss or if He hits his next contracts going to be lofty.

It’s also kinda rare for 1st overalls to get traded early.  

mayve they think they can rebuild his value and he anchors a third pair behind them and they could evaluate or make another trade later

My guess is that he's in essence a long term rental.  If he performs well and helps get the Sabres over the playoff hump, you get a good haul in a trade for him.  If he's just average, you get a decent enough return to have made it worth it.

Mittelstadt is a luxury that the Sabres can't afford.  There are more of him in the prospect pipeline that won't be due a heavy payday for years.