Am I the only one willing to overpay Hronek ?

Blue

7.5 to 8 million is too much to pay for a sidekick.

Strike while the iron is hot, Hronek in a trade. Many teams might line up.

Utah and Columbus, both are over loaded with prospects and picks.

Edited by TheGuardian
  • Cheers 1

On 6/13/2024 at 1:20 PM, DrJockitch said:

Erik Karlsson at 11.5, Trouba at 8, Werensky at  almost 10, Seth Jones at 9.5 and Rasmus Dahlin at 11 would be on that list as overpaid IMHO.  

Karlsson arguably earned it, the rest are good players and for the most part significantly better than Hronek but significantly overpaid for what they bring.

Dahlin and Jones had the pedigree, EK absolutely earned it,  Trouba is a good warning sign,  after his 50 plus point season and then big payday hasn't come close to the same numbers.    Of those guys all of them did more than Hronek .  EK up until the Matt Cooke achilles tendon stomp, was every bit as generational as Crosby and Ovi.   And well, just won another Norris, on a terrible SJ team.   Got the same deal Doughty got.   If EKs on the list, so should he be, another guy who earned it though.    14 plus percent of the cap hit is what we will be looking at with QHs when his deal is up.     Another reason we have to see Hronek carry his own pair and still produce 35-40 points if he wants 7-8.    If we have to pair him with QHs and then disappears for long stretches ...  even 6.8 is yuck.    Do we really want to pay 8 plus 14 or 22 million total long term in a few years when QHs is up?    That's a lot of dough, for that we better be getting Al Mac Pronger level stuff (pairing) or Steven's  Neidermayer. 

Of those guys, some i'd rather have at their full cap hit then Hronek at 8 as well.    Trouba is rumoured to be getting bought out.     At least Werenksi and Jones have years of number one under their belts.    McAvoy might as well be on this list too.   If Werenksi or Jones were on those teams instead.     Wonder how Makar would have done on SJ last season... QHs too for that matter.   CHI, well they stink.    Seth Jones wasn't exactly on great CLB teams either.    Hronek hasn't been a number on D for years.   Those guys all did it for years, aside from Trouba, did it one year, otherwise was all Byfuglien.    He did prove he could carry his own pairing though.  

It'd a pickle.   Kind of like EP, kind of need that unicorn (RHD), just like we need a star player who's now got a lot to live up too.    Pine for the early cap days, when contract terms were still reasonable.   He's earned a 5 year deal, same as guys like Hammer, Edler, KB etc.    8 years for half a season of elite, two good Detroit years.    That's a gamble. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

7.5 to 8 million is too much to pay for a sidekick.

Strike while the iron is hot, Hronek in a trade. Many teams might line up.

Utah and Columbus, both are over loaded with prospects and picks.

And then flip those assets to trade for whom?   It could work yes.   Pretty sure Pesce or Roy would be serviceable UFA D's, nothing special, but good enough to play on a top four.    To get them, an overpay is likely.   One thing though, if we did trade Hronek, it would take one team off the RHD hunt table.    The team is competing now.   Alvin was critical of himself in not finding EP a top six player, and putting Mikheyev in that position.    That's a bit of a clue right there.   Could mean he will prioritize that over re-signing Hronek.   And be willing to trade him.     

If Hronek is traded for picks and prospects, then expect that Allvin will use some of that capital to find another Hronek.     I'd trade Hronek for Zub in OTT in a heartbeat.    He's exactly what QHs needs on his line.    If we aren't on his list of course.    That would save us 3-3.5 in cap to use elsewhere.    It also fits our JT Miller window, which by looking at our current pool, is likely the best we are going to get.    A re-tool is coming when QHs is up.    In the proposed trade, i'd do it with nothing at all coming back on top.    

Edited by IBatch

On 6/14/2024 at 12:57 AM, Hammertime said:

I'm curious about something shorter 4x8m 5x7.5m I don't know that I want to buy 8 years of Hronek today. 

Me too.   That seems extremely risky.   The only way to do the 8 years, would be if his cap hit is in the 6's.   I'd rather do 8 x 4 then 7 x 8.    At least then we'd have the option of trading him, (no way should he have a full clause, a modified 10 team list at most).    And if it flops on us, well  not another LE situation.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Hronek took less than he could have gotten July 2025, especially with the cap rising significantly between now and then. 

7.25 is fair though.  Both sides gave a little to settle there.