Am I the only one willing to overpay Hronek ?

Blue

On 3/24/2024 at 2:27 AM, iinatcc said:

Listening to Brendan Batchelor and Randip Janda a good comparison is Devon Towes. So maybe 7.25 Million x 7 Max? 

He's 4 years older isn't he . Drance shot that comparison down a bit . I can't remember the reasons but it made sense to me 

Don't panic because Hronek reportedly turned down an initial $6.5 AAV offer.  It's incumbent on Allvin to try to sign players at team friendly salaries to ice the best possible team next season.  Sometimes these contracts take some time.

Allvin isn't going to be able to bring everybody back next year.  It's going to be very interesting how he puts the line up puzzle together.

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Don't panic because Hronek reportedly turned down an initial $6.5 AAV offer.  It's incumbent on Allvin to try to sign players at team friendly salaries to ice the best possible team next season.  Sometimes these contracts take some time.

Allvin isn't going to be able to bring everybody back next year.  It's going to be very interesting how he puts the line up puzzle together.

I am trying to remember but did the relationship between Management and Horvat get sour because of the low-ball (6 million range) extension offer?

Of course I am not saying this will happen to Hronek but sometimes you need to find a fine line between offering a deal at market value and one below to not taint the relationship. 

Reminds me of a Wedding Planner my friend told me about. She is known to be very good and she has a set price. If someone try to negotiate for a lower price she would flat out refuse and even decline to plan your wedding even if you agree on the original price. Apparently the rationale of the wedding planner is that the rate of the customer is also how they see your value and she didn't want have to deal with customers since they can find ways during the wedding planning to squeeze you out tainting the relationship. 

Edited by iinatcc

12 hours ago, Blue said:

He's 4 years older isn't he . Drance shot that comparison down a bit . I can't remember the reasons but it made sense to me 

Toews was and is now, a better defenseman.    The only difference is Toews doesn't play the right side.  If QHs played the right side, and Hronek the left, the deal would shrink considerably from the 50 million range.   And if Toews played the right side instead, he'd of got a better deal.  

They are unicorns.   It's why we paid Myers what he got, and it's also why we likely end up overpaying Hronek.   A fifty point season isn't something to sneeze at, neither are 40 point ones.   Don't see why his cap percentage and term needs to be higher than Hamhuis,  Salo,  Edler and even Bieksa's (given his intangibles).   Edler is the one I used as an example.   Almost scored 50 points ... in an era that the best after Lidstrom and Niedermayer, were scoring about that right?    

5 goals is pretty garden variety.   Tanev managed that pretty easily.   Those apples, how many are primary assists?    See the Canucks signing him for around 50 on a term deal.    To get to 8, he's likely only signed for 4 years.   

Edited by IBatch

The value isn't in Hronek carrying his own line, the value is in what we get in Hughes/Hronek. What we'll get in that duo far exceeds what we'd ever get in Hronek carrying his own line/pairing. Toews's success and value is with Makar.

This will go down as yet another ...

Good thing we didn't trade ...

Hronek

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The value isn't in Hronek carrying his own line, the value is in what we get in Hughes/Hronek. What we'll get in that duo far exceeds what we'd ever get in Hronek carrying his own line/pairing. Toews's success and value is with Makar.

This will go down as yet another ...

Good thing we didn't trade ...

Hronek

The fear is what would a 4 million dollar pairing do for us instead.    Al Mac and Pronger.   Neidermayer and Steven's.    Neidermayer and Pronger.   If we end up paying for that sort of thing, you'd hope anyways you'd get something like that.    And this isn't really that.   Close maybe. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You don't even go there when you have what you've needed and need.

Right hand d.   Was pretty happy when we got Myers too.   That didn't age well.  It's the amount of money suggested that doesn't add up on here.   Have a hard time seeing 21-22% of the payroll committed to these guys unless we've seen some pretty awesome stuff in the playoffs first.    We already know QHs is getting 14% plus.   Actually have no problem if they don't sign Hronek or even think of signing him until after the playoffs.   Also still don't see why he won't get a similar deal that Edler got. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

All valid points. The thing for me, I'm not going into that what if territory. We have what we need in this window. 

Yes good point.  If they want to sign Hronek knowing that he could be left holding the ball and we either trade QHs later or simply let him walk if the numbers don't work that's ok.    Do see that both QHs and Hronek have had a mutually beneficial thing going on.    It's just one year.   Sure would like to see another one.    Glad i'm not the brass and don't need to make these decisions. 

Edit:   8 x 8 seems ludicrous though.   That sort of thing, is what you do with 21-22 year olds, that have shown their value at that age.  Like Jack Hughes.  Or Brady Tckchuk.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

The value isn't in Hronek carrying his own line, the value is in what we get in Hughes/Hronek. What we'll get in that duo far exceeds what we'd ever get in Hronek carrying his own line/pairing. Toews's success and value is with Makar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The value isn't in Hronek carrying his own line, the value is in what we get in Hughes/Hronek. What we'll get in that duo far exceeds what we'd ever get in Hronek carrying his own line/pairing. Toews's success and value is with Makar.

Yes they both get added value.   Don't disagree that we shouldn't sign him, but don't think we need to throw the bank at him.   And 50 million is fine.  Full term, or 7 years. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes they both get added value.   Don't disagree that we shouldn't sign him, but don't think we need to throw the bank at him.   And 50 million is fine.  Full term, or 7 years. 

We're not far off in agreement 

My stance is ... You don't throw away a known contending duo like that for what if. Especially given all they crying for a player and RHD of his caliber.

I never said we should throw the bank at him. But I'm certainly not willing to overpay an unknown UFA with unknown chemistry with our superstar when the known is right here. I've said I feel he shouldn't be making more than Hughes. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

On 3/28/2024 at 7:07 PM, SnakeDoctor said:

Great player. However we have overpaid so many players in the past we are better off doing a trade if a contract can’t be negotiated.

There has to be a hard cap on this.   Given he's a RHD it's going to come at a premium.     It shouldn't be "no matter what" either.    Don't see why we can't wait until the playoffs are done and do it in the summer, and maybe it's exactly  what the club should consider if they are miles apart as it is right now.   Don't think it's going to be much more than 50.   64 is a lot of dough. 

Edited by IBatch

8x8 seems reasonable. We get the best 7 UFA years (the most expensive years) from a top 2 rhd on a long term deal that will get  better as the years go by. If we try to buy a bargain version of a top 2 RHD we will see the product on the ice that we paid for. I guess it depends on whether we want to be an elite team or a team that squeaks into the playoffs and bows out in the second round every year. We can already tell that Hughes and hronek are the best versions of themselves when they play together, and they are a big part of why we are an elite team. By the logic in this thread if we aren’t willing to pay him then the contract he wants to sign will be a negative value contract, so nobody else will give us any assets for him either. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2024 at 4:03 AM, CanuckMan said:

6.75 or 7 should be max. Can’t be paying everyone 7+. 

Hronek is where he’s at because of Hughes. Every time they get split up his production falls.

Hilarious. 6.75 he says

How successful was the Hughs without Hronek team again ? It was a non playoff team. Thats what

On 3/29/2024 at 5:41 AM, Dr. Crossbar said:

We're not far off in agreement 

My stance is ... You don't throw away a known contending duo like that for what if. Especially given all they crying for a player and RHD of his caliber.

I never said we should throw the bank at him. But I'm certainly not willing to overpay an unknown UFA with unknown chemistry with our superstar when the known is right here. I've said I feel he shouldn't be making more than Hughes. 

Hughs had 3 goals in 2021 when he signed his current contract. So his current cap hit doesn't compare to Hronek in 2024. 

And even with that , Hronek isn't going to get much more than Hughs is making now. Certainly not a deal breaking difference 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Blue said:

Hughs had 3 goals in 2021 when he signed his current contract. So his current cap hit doesn't compare to Hronek in 2024. 

And even with that , Hronek isn't going to get much more than Hughs is making now. Certainly not a deal breaking difference 

No argument here. 

• Vintage 1

7.5 maybe to 8 million per, but I’m firm nothing over 7.5 for 8 years. I wouldn’t read into much of Hronek making more thank Hughes. 

Hughes his contract is done in 3 years and will get north of 11+ million per 8 years. Oh and the CAP is going up as well, players pretty much paid off the escrow due to the pandemic. Next season CAP is going up 4 million, and in 25/26 it’s going up almost 10 million. 

Hate Bettnab or not lol, 

But the NHL has the best buisness on  model of the top for leagues in North America, NFL MLB NBA, these three just get more viewer’s.

IMG_1476.webp

Edited by The Aquaman

Interesting brief thoughts from Brian Burke this week on the success of the Canucks and their turnaround ... starts at the 1:12 mark.

"The big acquisition ... Quinn  Hughes is a superstar, no question, but the Hronek acquisition to me is the key to this whole thing. He's made their whole team better. And Rick Tocchet has done a great job coaching the group."

• Upvote 1