[Signing] Panthers extend Forsling and Gadjovich

Not gonna whine about it now as what's done is done, but man, I was not a happy camper when we moved Forsling.  So much talent that just needed developing.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

books from Benning - 
Dim Jim and the science  of being stupid.

dim jim -how to ruin a franchise 

dim jim -how not to build a hockey team 

dim jim -watch and learn, what not to do. 

And finally 

dim jim - 101 excuses for failing at everything. 

good for Gus and gad  getting away from turd Benning probably saved their careers. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek has more points, plays in all situations and is a RHD. Forsling doesn’t play much on the power play. 

Hronek is closer to Vince Dunn than Forsling. I wouldn’t pay him $8 million. But he will definitely get $7 milion +. 

Forsling was UFA though so that is a factor as well

It's interesting following guys like forsling and McCann if they had just let the guys develop would have worked better than the trades.  If only they had partnered jimbo with a trade savvy guy we may have struck success sooner.

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I’ve never cared about the Forsling trade. We were trying to help the Sedins retire on a competitive team, and simultaneously upstart the rebuild by 4 years. Clendenning was older and seemed like a top 4 lock. 

I’m very happy for Gus that he’s carved out a very solid career. 

Except he wasn't 🤣 and I'm pretty sure Chicago wouldn't have given if up if he had that kind of upside 

52 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Happy for Forsling.

Happy for Gadjovich.

Don't care about what Jim Benning did in the past since the year is 2024.  

Caitlin Jenner's mushroom head has more relevance to my life than Jim Benning.  

I only care about the 2023/2024 Canucks and what's in front of us.  

You could argue not having Forsling was a snowball effect having some questionable trades for defense including getting OEL.

If Forsling was here, maybe all this OEL drama (which lead to Tanev walking and the nice buyput penalty the Canucks now have to eat) wouldn't have happened 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

You could argue not having Forsling was a snowball effect having some questionable trades for defense including getting OEL.

If Forsling was here, maybe all this OEL drama (which lead to Tanev walking and the nice buyput penalty the Canucks now have to eat) wouldn't have happened 

I get what folks here are saying about Benning trying to keep this team competitive, but you could say that just about any trade he made.  It's people trying to rationalize loss, and we lost WAY TOO MUCH under Jet Black Jim.

Like, everyone here understands what he tried to do acquiring OEL.  Does his intentions make that trade look any better?  Of course not.  It was mistake, the same way Clendening-Forsling was a mistake.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I don't disagree but it's too far in the rearview mirror for me.  

21 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

We still complain about Boston, Messier... We can complain about Jim Benning.  He doesn't deserve anyone's sympathy.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Well not yet. Those nice OEL buyout penalties in the next 7 years is going to be nice reminder 🤪

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yes, easily and 14 more points is a bonus 

I'm honestly surprised it's not way more then 14 points. The guy standing beside Hronek for the majority of the ice time has 56 more points then Forslings partner. 

I don't know why people are comparing Forsling to Hronek. Forsling plays a much heavier defensive role on the Panthers and has averaged 3min/game on the PK both last season and this season. He's in the top 10 players in the league in shorthanded time/game. His 35 to 40 points is a really nice bonus for the defensive role he plays on Florida.

22 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'm honestly surprised it's not way more then 14 points. The guy standing beside Hronek for the majority of the ice time has 56 more points then Forslings partner. 

It's the split on PP units as part of the difference. Hronek plays the second unit so that is one of the main differences. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Not gonna whine about it now as what's done is done, but man, I was not a happy camper when we moved Forsling.  So much talent that just needed developing.

Forsling took 9 years to stick in the NHL

he went through Vancouver, Chicago and Carolina and their AHL teams 

he was lucky to find a spot in Florida on a great team that hid his weaknesses. He’s developed yes but this idea that the Canucks “gave up too early” is silly

Edited by Bardown
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Forsling took 8 years to make the NHL

he went through Vancouver, Chicago and Carolina and their AHL teams 

he was lucky to find a spot in Florida on a great team that his weaknesses. He’s developed yes but this idea that the Canucks “gave up too early” is silly

Yup I get he became a good player, but like Grabner, McCann etc. before him seems like he needed the moves to become the player he is now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

It's interesting following guys like forsling and McCann if they had just let the guys develop would have worked better than the trades.  If only they had partnered jimbo with a trade savvy guy we may have struck success sooner.

Green had a hand in these moves as well.

He's a really bad talent assessor as well.

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It's the split on PP units as part of the difference. Hronek plays the second unit so that is one of the main differences. 

Is that the reason? Wouldn't that only make sense if Forsling was racking up powerplay points on pp1 in Florida? He has 2 this season compared to Hroneks 10. So if your arguments is powerplay time isn't equal, you are very correct, Hronek gets an 8 points boom from his pp2 time. Forlsing averages 33 seconds of ice time on the pp, while Hronek has a healthy 1:49 seconds, nearly 4 times as much.

Bringing powerplay into this conversation actually seems to reflect poorly on your original statement.

Edited by MeanSeanBean