Feedback and Bugs

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't even know how you did it originally. Maybe way back in the day, two-character usernames were allowed.

I'm thinking it's moreso the ":" being considered a special character in subsequent iterations of the site software.  I know it holds special meaning in some programming languages.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Admin Team,

The guidelines don't state anything about consequences for cyberbullying - I wonder if it's worth consideration to include it as a site-user code of conduct guideline?

For reference, the definitions at these government-based sites closely mirror what I would consider to be cyberbullying:

https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/what-is-it and https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/cyberbullying-tactics

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/2015-r038/index-en.aspx

Though - like the in-person version (bullying) - I would not limit these definitions to be applied to just kids, because adults can and often are bullied as well.  Bullying is not an age-limited activity, and the impacts of bullying do not lessen due to age.

Thanks for looking into this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Dear Admin Team,

The guidelines don't state anything about consequences for cyberbullying - I wonder if it's worth consideration to include it as a site-user code of conduct guideline?

For reference, the definitions at these government-based sites closely mirror what I would consider to be cyberbullying:

https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/what-is-it and https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/cyberbullying-tactics

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/2015-r038/index-en.aspx

Though - like the in-person version (bullying) - I would not limit these definitions to be applied to just kids, because adults can and often are bullied as well.  Bullying is not an age-limited activity, and the impacts of bullying do not lessen due to age.

Thanks for looking into this.

Side note, before anyone claims it's because I'm being sensitive.

I'm approaching this from the legal liability perspective.  It only takes a Brian Burke-esque court case that names the site as co-defendant (for facilitating and allowing to perpetuate the cyberbullying) for us to potentially lose this site.  I would really like to avoid that happening, if at all possible, given all the hard work in getting this site set up and getting people from the old site to migrate here.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hey Stealth - is it possible to increase the number of participants allowed in a PM? This would be a nice quality of life thing for Mafia. I think you did it for us on the last forum many moons ago. Thank you. 🙂

10 minutes ago, 112 said:

Hey Stealth - is it possible to increase the number of participants allowed in a PM? This would be a nice quality of life thing for Mafia. I think you did it for us on the last forum many moons ago. Thank you. 🙂

Donesies

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

It’s incredibly difficult to remain signed in on mobile, is there a way around this?

Unfortunately I can't change any of the timeout settings. That said, I'm almost never signed out on mobile. I wonder if it's a browser thing, or are you clearing cache/cookies/history frequently?

The click-through ads earlier this morning (not sure if they're still happening because I haven't encountered one in the last 5 minutes) are kind of annoying and off-putting.

By click-through I mean when someone clicks on a link, the window goes "blurry" and the ad appears with a "close" button (or similar), and you need to click close to get through to the page the link was directing to.  It's off-putting because my usual instinct when seeing them is to just close the window instead of clicking through.

Just my 2 cents. 🙃

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The click-through ads earlier this morning (not sure if they're still happening because I haven't encountered one in the last 5 minutes) are kind of annoying and off-putting.

By click-through I mean when someone clicks on a link, the window goes "blurry" and the ad appears with a "close" button (or similar), and you need to click close to get through to the page the link was directing to.  It's off-putting because my usual instinct when seeing them is to just close the window instead of clicking through.

Just my 2 cents. 🙃

Should be gone by the afternoon, yet another thing Google thought was a good idea.

• Thanks 1

To all the awesome experts out there... I don't think this is a bug, I think I accidentally set it up so I get notified when people post in a particular thread.

How do I make it stop? I only want to know when I get replies, reactions or when mentioned.

Thanks!

Edit: I think I figured it out. Will let you know if I still need help.

Confirmed, all good here!

Edited by Kragar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a comment about the ads (no complaint)... I used to get a bunch of ads for either dating or phone sex involving Asian women (never clicked to find out what was being advertised). Interestingly enough, I now get a bunch of prayer ads. My wife thinks the big guy upstairs is trying to tell me something :classic_biggrin:

Edit: a new day, and the Asian girls are back :classic_wink:

Edited by Kragar

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Some guidance on the new reactions please... like, what are the origins of them, what are they supposed to represent...

specifically the milltertime one and the desmenko one please.

Desmenko = Demko + DeSmith. The emoji is a brick wall, and when goalies are on their game they're often referred to as "brick walls."

"It's Miller time" is a phrase associated with Miller beers and is now often used to refer to JT Miller among the Canucks fandom.

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Some guidance on the new reactions please... like, what are the origins of them, what are they supposed to represent...

specifically the milltertime one and the desmenko one please.

Desmenko contains the letters necessary to spell Semenko, as in Dave Semenko, I wouldn't recommend using it for that reason 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Desmenko = Demko + DeSmith. The emoji is a brick wall, and when goalies are on their game they're often referred to as "brick walls."

"It's Miller time" is a phrase associated with Miller beers and is now often used to refer to JT Miller among the Canucks fandom.

So - in other words, if you're a guy trying to get it on with some good looking other person, and then you find them blocking you, that's when you use the desmenko reaction? 

And if it's the combo of the two goaltenders, why isn't it desmemko?

As for millertime, is the intention to remove/replace the cheers reaction?  👹

18 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So - in other words, if you're a guy trying to get it on with some good looking other person, and then you find them blocking you, that's when you use the desmenko reaction? 

And if it's the combo of the two goaltenders, why isn't it desmemko?

As for millertime, is the intention to remove/replace the cheers reaction?  👹

Yes, such an example would be a proper use of Desmenko.

More than upset that it's not Desmemko, I am personally offended that the S isn't capitalized.

And I've heard nothing from my sources, but if I'm allowed to speculate, I think Cheers is going to stay.

• Cheers 1