[Trade] Guentzel to Carolina

3 hours ago, 24K said:

We seriously over paid for Lindholm. PA should have put a condition on that first like every other trade we seen.

-Edmonton gave an unconditional 1st for Henrique

-Winnipeg gave an unconditional 1st for Monahan

-The condition that vegas put on hanafin has nothing to do with draft position or performance.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Hurricanes Acquire Jake Guentzel From Penguins

March 8th, 2024 at 2:30am CST • By Josh Erickson

2:30 a.m.: The trade call is now complete with the Hurricanes also receiving Ty Smith as part of the trade, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman confirms. The Penguins will receive Bunting, forward prospects Ville Koivunen, Vasiliy Ponomarev, and Cruz Lucius, a conditional 2024 first-round pick, and a conditional 2024 fifth-round pick. If the Hurricanes don’t make the 2024 Stanley Cup Final, the first-round pick downgrades to the Flyers’ 2024 second-round pick. The fifth-round pick only transfers if the Hurricanes win the Stanley Cup. The Penguins are also retaining 25% of Guentzel’s $6MM cap hit. Morrow is not included in the trade.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/hurricanes-close-to-acquiring-jake-guentzel.html#ref=home

I don't get how anyone thinks they overpaid for Lindholm.  Essentially they gave up a guy whose value the coach ruined and a late 1st for the top rental on the market and an insurance plan in case Petey didn't sign.

There's actually a lot of layers to that deal

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't get how anyone thinks they overpaid for Lindholm.  Essentially they gave up a guy whose value the coach ruined and a late 1st for the top rental on the market and an insurance plan in case Petey didn't sign.

There's actually a lot of layers to that deal

Agree with all of this except the coach blame part.

• Upvote 1

So looking at what Carolina gave up for Guentzel:

- conditional first if they make the Finals, drops to second if they don’t 
- ⁠Bunting; 28 year old winger with 13 goals / 36 points
- ⁠prospect Ville Koivunen; 20 yr old Finish centre drafted in 2nd round. Current stat in Europe -  55 points in 57 games 
- ⁠prospect Vasiliy Ponomarev; 21 yr old Russian centre drafted in 2nd round Current stats in AHL - 29 points in 39 games 
- ⁠prospect  Cruz Lucius; 19 yr old American winger University stats - 31 points in 32 games

The Pens also retained 25% and gave Ty Smith to the Caines.

This blows me away. Wtf! How tf did we not beat this offer? 

How did we not beat this offer? Like wtf. All those are B level prospects and it is very likely gonna be a second rounder

We could have done Raty, Bains, Mik and an actual guaranteed first in 2025 for Guentzel with retention. That offer would have been way better than what they got from Carolina.

Edited by Grandmaster

I'm actually glad we didn't beat the offer, this isn't a sign and trade, Canes are not guaranteed to keep him

It either speaks to their ask of the Canucks being too high, or management actually valuing their prospects enough to say no, which would be a welcome development 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm actually glad we didn't beat the offer, this isn't a sign and trade, Canes are not guaranteed to keep him

It either speaks to their ask of the Canucks being too high, or management actually valuing their prospects enough to say no, which would be a welcome development 

Agreed. I think after picking up lindholm, they didnt want to give up too much more of the future. Especially for another rental.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It was a very easy offer to beat. Guentzel would have taken us to another level. Basically a second round pick and 3 B level prospects. That’s not expensive whatsoever 

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

It was a very easy offer to beat. Guentzel would have taken us to another level. Basically a second round pick and 3 B level prospects. That’s not expensive whatsoever 

Ask Dubas. Seems like the PIT fans are upset about him covering Bunting

11 minutes ago, Nucks780 said:

Agreed. I think after picking up lindholm, they didnt want to give up too much more of the future. Especially for another rental.

Agreed

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I'd disagree, we have a couple very good blue chip prospects in Willander and Lekkerimaki but it falls off after that, giving up three B level prospects would be hard on our limited prospect depth 

Plus picks? Nah

We need to keep building our prospect pool, not work on emptying it

There are no guarantees come playoff time, I'm glad they didn't pony up for a guy who may very well walk

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

So looking at what Carolina gave up for Guentzel:

- conditional first if they make the Finals, drops to second if they don’t 
- ⁠Bunting; 28 year old winger with 13 goals / 36 points
- ⁠prospect Ville Koivunen; 20 yr old Finish centre drafted in 2nd round. Current stat in Europe -  55 points in 57 games 
- ⁠prospect Vasiliy Ponomarev; 21 yr old Russian centre drafted in 2nd round Current stats in AHL - 29 points in 39 games 
- ⁠prospect  Cruz Lucius; 19 yr old American winger University stats - 31 points in 32 games

The Pens also retained 25% and gave Ty Smith to the Caines.

This blows me away. Wtf! How tf did we not beat this offer? 

How did we not beat this offer? Like wtf. All those are B level prospects and it is very likely gonna be a second rounder

We could have done Raty, Bains, Mik and an actual guaranteed first in 2025 for Guentzel with retention. That offer would have been way better than what they got from Carolina.

You are assuming that the "ask" from the Pens was the same for all teams. My guess is what they wanted from the Canucks was Hogz, Lekk and a pic. Totally different ask than what they wanted from CAR. 

We may have made a similar offer to CAR, and Pens just said no that's not what we want.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

You are assuming that the "ask" from the Pens was the same for all teams. My guess is what they wanted from the Canucks was Hogz, Lekk and a pic. Totally different ask than what they wanted from CAR. 

We may have made a similar offer to CAR, and Pens just said no that's not what we want.

Those prospects are all B level. We could have departed with that and upped the offer by giving them a guaranteed first in 2025 instead of that second (Carolina condition becomes first only if they make the Finals)

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Those prospects are all B level. We could have departed with that and upped the offer by giving them a guaranteed first in 2025 instead of that second (Carolina condition becomes first only if they make the Finals)

You may have been comfortable moving our 2025 first and a bunch of propsects, and a roster player to balance salary for a rental but I wasn't, and I'm really glad Management wasn't either.

• Cheers 1

Not sure if this is discussed but I got to feel for Michael Bunting.

Imagine signing with a team thinking you have a bigger chance at winning the Stanley Cup only to be used as a trade chip on a team that is likely to miss the playoffs. And he's stuck with this team for the next 2 seasons. 

I mean I guess he would love the opportunity to play with Crosby but still a bummer for him I think. 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

2 goals and 7 points in his last 5 games on a new team, with new systems, coaches etc. Anybody still think he was just the product of playing with Crosby?

Jeff Cowan looked like a 40 goal scorer, for his first few games as a Canuck.

Lots of players look great for their first few games.

That said, Guentzel is a good hockey player; likely a near point a game guy.

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Jeff Cowan looked like a 40 goal scorer, for his first few games as a Canuck.

Lots of players look great for their first few games.

That said, Guentzel is a good hockey player; likely a near point a game guy.

He is. Just got tired of the "don't want him,  he's been playing with/propped up by Crosby" narrative some were spouting.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

Man, Guentzel would have been such a shot in the arm.  But with Lindholm we’ve gone from stingy to stingier and if he gets healthy maybe he pops in a few more points. 

He would have been. I think maybe we should've gone after Guentzel instead of Lindholm. But defense wins championships right? The team's been playing great defensively. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He would have been. I think maybe we should've gone after Guentzel instead of Lindholm. But defense wins championships right? The team's been playing great defensively. 

Guentzel would have cost us Lekkerimaki. 

Calgary went for quantity over quality.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Guentzel would have cost us Lekkerimaki. 

Calgary went for quantity over quality.

Yep there’s no way we could have done this deal.

And then if we waited for Guentzel to be available we still may not have gotten him. Then we would have had neither.

Lindholm has helped improve our shutdown game which you need for the playoffs.

I’m still good with the trade.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1