[Trade] Guentzel to Carolina

5 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

WOW!! That seems like a pretty stiff price to pay! Wanted him but glad we didn't pay at that level for him. Good job JR and PA

I could be wrong but it seems they kept all there top prospects. Quantity over quality. 

9 minutes ago, highandinside said:

I could be wrong but it seems they kept all there top prospects. Quantity over quality. 

Similar to our acquisition of lindholm.  Honestly those 2 deals feel like old fashioned MLB trades.

9 minutes ago, highandinside said:

Yup. The condition on that 1st is steep

Canes didn’t lose any of their top 5 prospects and got a 25% retention.

I thought if not Nadeau, Drury must be part of the deal…

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm the opposite.  Carolina gave up almost nothing that is deemed pure quality for Guentzel imo

Picks and bunting and that's it 

No kidding. Surprised we didn't beat that 🤣

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

WOW!! That seems like a pretty stiff price to pay! Wanted him but glad we didn't pay at that level for him. Good job JR and PA

Lots of players

but I’m curious if it’s quantity over quality 

I know nothing of these players

Morrow isn’t in there so that’s a big surprise 

Edited by Bardown

The 1st rounder and 5th rounder conditions being Cup finals appearance seems steep. But they got 3 solid prospects, so it's still a pretty gnarly deal for Pittsburgh who had very little in the cupboard. But if Carolina fizzles the deal looks less good. None of Carolina's great prospects though. That's a good deal for Carolina. An okay deal for Pittsburgh.

Edited by JeremyCuddles

5 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Similar to our acquisition of lindholm.  Honestly those 2 deals feel like old fashioned MLB trades.

Lindholm we gave our 5th best prospect and a 1st.    Guentzel got a second and no top 5 prospects.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, highandinside said:

Sometmes quantity matters. The number of assets the Pens recieved, they are bound to have a few hits. Way too much though for Guentzel, especially since hes not healthy

12 minutes ago, highandinside said:

Before the season started just looking quick it was their 6th, 7th and 9th ranked prospects but all are having good years and likely ranking higher maybe. It’s hard to say because their prospect pool is very nice! Ponomarev is a 21 year old center who has 29 points in 39 games in the AHL and at 20 had 46 points in 64 games at the AHL. Cruz Lucius is a 19 year RW that’s been a point a game player at college for 2 seasons in a row now (also led his team in points both years). Koivunen is a 20 year old center with 55 points in 57 games (leading his team in points). If you compare them into our prospect pool this is probably 3,4 and 5 with a 1rst round pick. I think it’s a pretty steep price to pay that is unless it comes with an extension.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'm in the minority but I think that was a fair deal for a rental.

Not worth it to throw away a top prospect.

It is, but given what was being thrown around as the ask for Vancouver, and correspondingly that we were out because the price was too high.... It seems, as the kids would say, "mid".

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm the opposite.  Carolina gave up almost nothing that is deemed pure quality for Guentzel imo

Picks and bunting and that's it 

I agree, this could’ve been easily matched.