[Trade] Toffoli to Jets

42 minutes ago, SV. said:

More people upset now than when we actually let Toffoli walk those few off-seasons ago.

It was impossible to fit Tanev and TT under the cap with the raises to core players.   JB was right to keep Demko.   Schmidt can go "whoop" himself.    It was Tanev that was disrespected.   Price paid in full for a guy who keeps getting traded like hockey cards (TT as a rental...we should be ready for the same this off season with Lindholm).

We shouldn't be so upset, or even at all upset, over a group of guys that couldn't hold the Sedins jockstraps (that teams jockstraps) or the WCE's ones, or the Linden ones, or the Broduer ones.    Darcy Rota meant more to our history, than Tyler Toffoli.   So did Lappy, so did Torres and Maholtra.    That team just wasn't very good.   And even if we kept all of them somehow, it wouldn't have got us far.    How are the Devils doing?  And before they, CAL these days anyways? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I was more upset about Tofu then Tanev. But both hurt.

Same.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why?  He was a rental.   New .. shiny .. toy.   Tanev was actually a big part of the team. 

Because we gave up assets for Toffoli and he seemed to fit well. Tanev on the other hand seemed like he was one more injury from being out of the NHL so I was somewhat okay with him leaving. Obviously Tanev has ended up holding up pretty well, but it didn't seem like he would at the time.

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Vatrano is who we should be after.
2nd and a prospect for a guy who adds a different dimension to an EP line. Think JTM light. 

I think there's a strong chance the Ducks extend him to play with their youth, gotta have some top six veterans 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why?  He was a rental.   New .. shiny .. toy.   Tanev was actually a big part of the team. 

He was injury prone and aging. While I felt he was still an elite defensive D when playing, I was concerned he wouldn't age well due to his injury history. Thought Tofu was a good fit for the team.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Same.

Because we gave up assets for Toffoli and he seemed to fit well. Tanev on the other hand seemed like he was one more injury from being out of the NHL so I was somewhat okay with him leaving. Obviously Tanev has ended up holding up pretty well, but it didn't seem like he would at the time.

How did Tanev do in the playoffs?   And it was Edler and Tanev who held the fort, after Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, Erhoff etc moved on or aged out, almost on their own.    And did it slip anyone's mind, that TT and Pearson used to be the enemy?   Albiet minor parts at the time.     We weren't in a position to push for a cup either.  "Playoffs" were the goal.  

6 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

wow.... wtf... 2nd and 3rd with 50% retained only??? What other deal are we working on that we culdn't grab this one? 

It'll be a high 2nd round pick (Montreal) which is something we don't have.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

wow.... wtf... 2nd and 3rd with 50% retained only??? What other deal are we working on that we culdn't grab this one? 

Let me see. DeSmith, Lafferty, Zadorov, Lindholm. Seems like we did ok.

Jets forward group might be one of the deepest and best in the league.  They know how to play defence too.  Not to mention the best goalie in the NHL.

Geez... COL, VGK, WPG, DAL, VAN, EDM... all 6 of these teams are capable cup contenders IMO.  The Cup is going East... we're gonna just beat the shit out of each other over here and then get to the finals injured like hell.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

We can't even afford 50% retained. We have no cap. Maybe there's no takers for Mik.

6 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

No thx.   Keep the picks.   I'd rather of traded for Maroon and punted Lafferty.     He doesn't even play a WNP style of game.  Or CAL.  Or NJ, or VAN .. he's not some unicorn.   Just a guy who's really good at avoiding major contact and being invisible until tap ins are available.    I'd rather get a Gerald Diduck for a late round pick, and a Lumme for a second anyday.   Tyler Toffoli was a fair rental price for us and he's still getting a fair rental price.  Were people thinking he'd get multiple firsts?  Or two seconds like Tanev did? 

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Jets forward group might be one of the deepest and best in the league.  They know how to play defence too.  Not to mention the best goalie in the NHL.

Geez... COL, VGK, WPG, DAL, VAN, EDM... all 6 of these teams are capable cup contenders IMO.  The Cup is going East... we're gonna just beat the shit out of each other over here and then get to the finals injured like hell.

Are they better than NJ's?   As in forward depth.  If they also had TT.    I don't see WNP as nearly as deep as we are with TT. 

Schieffle  Monahan Lowry 

Vs JT Miller, EP, Lindholm for centers   that's funny really, they aren't even close. 

Wingers.    WNP maybe. 

D - Canucks all the way. Poink.  Schmidt.  Funny. 

G  - WNP, but not by a huge margin either. 

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Are they better than NJ's?   As in forward depth.  If they also had TT.    I don't see WNP as nearly as deep as we are with TT. 

NJ might have the edge up top, but Winnipeg's bottom six is probably better

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

When healthy?  Jets look like:

Connor-Scheifele-Toffoli

Ehlers-Vilardi-Iafallo

Niedereiter-Monahan-Namestnikov

Appleton-Lowry-Perfetti

Insanely deep.  Appleton and Lowry would be top tier 3rd line guys on most contenders including us. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Connor-Scheifele-Toffoli

Ehlers-Vilardi-Iafallo

Appleton-Lowry-Perfetti

Insanely deep.  Appleton and Lowry would be top tier 3rd line guys on most contenders including us. 

That's a better bottom six than ours, certainly 

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How did Tanev do in the playoffs?   And it was Edler and Tanev who held the fort, after Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, Erhoff etc moved on or aged out, almost on their own.    And did it slip anyone's mind, that TT and Pearson used to be the enemy?   Albiet minor parts at the time.     We weren't in a position to push for a cup either.  "Playoffs" were the goal.  

Yes, Tanev has a pretty solid playoffs. But your point about not being in a position to push for a cup is exactly why Toffoli was more valuable at the time. Tanev has missed more than 1/3 of the season due to injury each of the prior 3 seasons and even though he managed to play all 69 games before the COVID shutdown, he got injured in the final game and would have missed the rest of the season and at least part of the playoffs had the season not been suspended. Most posters thought the 4-year deal with Calgary would age poorly and it's revisionist history to say otherwise.

Toffoli was 3 years younger than Tanev, plus without the injury history, and seemed to instantly click with our emerging star players. Like Miller, it looked like he was going to be able to lift our young core to the next level. 

Edit: the decision obviously wasn't pick between Toffoli and Tanev to sign one. The decision was to re-sign Jake over Toffoli which was very obviously the wrong choice even at the time.

Edited by Diamonds

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Connor-Scheifele-Toffoli

Ehlers-Vilardi-Iafallo

Appleton-Lowry-Perfetti

Will be an interesting game tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Connor-Scheifele-Toffoli

Ehlers-Vilardi-Iafallo

Appleton-Lowry-Perfetti

And how do we match up against them?  Even deeper.    Kudos to their goaltending.   They got a modest bump upfront.   Not sure why we should be concerned.     Other than goaltending.   Because that can win a series.   I'd take our forward group as is, right now, every single time.    Same with our D-corp. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Vatrano is who we should be after.
2nd and a prospect for a guy who adds a different dimension to an EP line. Think JTM light. 

We would have to move cap out. Anaheim already has 3 retentions so he would have to come in at full cap (unless you want to broker 2 years of cap $$$$)

The cost would be much more than your offer either way.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

We would have to move cap out. Anaheim already has 3 retentions so he would have to come in at full cap (unless you want to broker 2 years of cap $$$$)

The cost would be much more than your offer either way.

He’s worth his price at his cap hit though. 

can then send Mik out for a decent pick and have room to sign Kessel and fit any other last minute acquisitions like a depth D.

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And how do we match up against them?  Even deeper.    Kudos to their goaltending.   They got a modest bump upfront.   Not sure why we should be concerned.     Other than goaltending.   Because that can win a series.   I'd take our forward group as is, right now, every single time.    Same with our D-corp. 

The fact we have Suter in the top 6 and DiGiuseppe in the lineup says otherwise.  Right now, I'd say the Jets are deeper.  The Canucks just have the higher end guys up top.