20 Years Ago Today: Steve Moore got what he was asking for

10 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Let it go bro… no one is perfect…

I'm pretty sure everyone already has let it go. 

• Confused 1

Wow. I can't believe it's been 20 years. Man, I was 16 when that happened. That said, I remember watching that, and I said the same thing then, that I will now, if he would have just dropped the gloves with Bertuzzi, and taken the ass kicking he had coming for going head hunting on Naslund, it wouldn't have happened. And I've never believed it was just Bertuzzi that caused ALL the damage, that dog pile didn't help anything.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, tas said:

interesting to think back on, can't believe it's been 2 decades. 

go out and celebrate by suckering a deserving s.o.b. in the back of the head. 

Um, his career pretty much ended just as it was about to begin. 

I don't think it's right to say he had it coming, the guy probably had aspirations to play in the NHL and was banking that to be his livelihood for himself, his family and loved ones.  

4 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Wow. I can't believe it's been 20 years. Man, I was 16 when that happened. That said, I remember watching that, and I said the same thing then, that I will now, if he would have just dropped the gloves with Bertuzzi, and taken the ass kicking he had coming for going head hunting on Naslund, it wouldn't have happened. And I've never believed it was just Bertuzzi that caused ALL the damage, that dog pile didn't help anything.

truth. unfortunate all around, but moore's cowardice was at the root. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, iinatcc said:

Um, his career pretty much ended just as it was about to begin. 

I don't think it's right to say he had it coming, the guy probably had aspirations to play in the NHL and was banking that to be his livelihood for himself, his family and loved ones.  

he should have thought of that before he cheapshotted markus naslund, making it so he was never the same player again. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

truth. unfortunate all around, but moore's cowardice was at the root. 

The league doing NOTHING about it is what gets me. Had he been suspended or even fined, this incident might not have happened. But hindsight is always 20/20.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, gwarrior said:

The league doing NOTHING about it is what gets me. Had he been suspended or even fined, this incident might not have happened. But hindsight is always 20/20.

it's a different game in a different world now. 

6 minutes ago, tas said:

he should have thought of that before he cheapshotted markus naslund, making it so he was never the same player again. 

A cheap shot doesn't justify retaliating with an assault 

• Vintage 1

The sad thing is. Had Moore just turned around, took his medicine (lumps). Probably Bert and Moore would have had 5 minute misconducts, possibly a game.

Then it would have been done with, and both would have been able to continue with their careers.

But the worst thing happened. 3 Players weren't the same.

Naslund, Bertuzzi, and Moore.

• Huggy Bear 1

My blood still boils on this one. Steve Moore did deserve what he got, and every true Canucks fan expected the Canucks to do something that game. I don’t fault Todd Bertuzzi one bit. Naslund was his best buddy on this team, and the captain. The NHL and non-followers of the game were quick to paint Bertuzzi as the villain, but if a pile of players didn’t land on top of Moore, causing his neck vertebrae to crack, this would have been ancient history and forgotten. Moore didn’t just ruin his own life and Bertuzzi’s, he also sunk the Canucks’ chances of progressing in the immediate future. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

• Ribs locked this topic